News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

fabricious' shapeways models

Started by fabricious, June 08, 2014, 05:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabricious

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 19, 2014, 12:48:37 AM
Reminds me a lot of David Krentz updated "Judith" sculpt.

I had the same thought, but then again, they are VERY closely related, perhaps even the same genus. It's like sculpting an 'original' T. rex. Good luck with that, haha. I'll try to make the pose look different than Judith's, to get in some variation.

Quote from: Yutyrannus on October 19, 2014, 01:13:16 AM
Awesome! I don't buy Shapeways models very often, but I think I probably will get this one eventually. Also, after this and Kelenken, may I suggest doing Lythronax or Teratophoneus?

EDIT: Also, I think you should keep this pose, it makes Albertosaurus look sort of regal :).

Thanks, Lythronax surely does sound interesting, even though there are already some models around. I'll have to look at Teratophoneus, haven't thought about that one!

Concerning the pose: I'm glad so many of you like it! It was just a quick fiddling around to see how well the model holds up and I immediately ditched it, but I'll recreate it in a better workflow!

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 19, 2014, 12:53:46 AM
do you foresee balance being an issue?

Most likely, but for this render I didn't really care too much about it, since it was just for a quick render and looks much more natural when slightly imbalanced. As for the print model: I'll definitely try to get the center of gravity in a good position, but I can never know for sure if the model will stand on its own. The same is true for my Saurophaganax.

fabricious

Went on to proper posing (on a low subdivision level, hence the small amount of detail). Trying to find the center of gravity is really tricky, it will most likely need support when printed.

fabricious

Finished first pose:

Also with open jaws (but missing bottom teeth.. whoops):

I'll prepare her for shapeways some time tomorrow, most likely.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: fabricious on October 19, 2014, 07:56:52 AM

Thanks, Lythronax surely does sound interesting, even though there are already some models around.
There are models of Lythronax already?

Anyway, that new pose looks awesome!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

fabricious

Quote from: Yutyrannus on October 19, 2014, 07:01:16 PM

Thanks, Lythronax surely does sound interesting, even though there are already some models around.

Yup, by Manuel Bejarano:
https://www.shapeways.com/model/1476360/lythronax-1-40-roaring.html?materialId=6

Yutyrannus

Quote from: fabricious on October 19, 2014, 08:13:27 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on October 19, 2014, 07:01:16 PM

Yup, by Manuel Bejarano:
https://www.shapeways.com/model/1476360/lythronax-1-40-roaring.html?materialId=6
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that, thanks for linking to it :)!

fabricious

Yutyrannus

Also, I was wondering, how do you plan to do the lower jaw on Albertosaurus? I recall you said it would have lips on the upper jaw but not the lower, however in the model so far it appears to have lips on the lower jaw. Also, for Kelenken, I suggest taking inspiration from birds of prey.

EDIT: Also, for the second pose of the Albertosaurus model, I think a sleeping pose, lying on its side and maybe with the head lifted a bit would be quite cool :).

fabricious

Quote from: Yutyrannus on October 19, 2014, 08:41:49 PM
Also, I was wondering, how do you plan to do the lower jaw on Albertosaurus? I recall you said it would have lips on the upper jaw but not the lower, however in the model so far it appears to have lips on the lower jaw. Also, for Kelenken, I suggest taking inspiration from birds of prey.

EDIT: Also, for the second pose of the Albertosaurus model, I think a sleeping pose, lying on its side and maybe with the head lifted a bit would be quite cool :).

I have not worked enough on the lower jaw yet (mainly since I didn't insert teeth, so far), so it will basically be scales leading upwards to the teeth, without lips. Here I didn't include that, since the closed-jaw version won't have that part visible.

A sleeping pose is something I really want to do, maybe I'll just do that right after I made the 'hunting' pose (to accompany the evading Pachyrhinosaurus). :)

fabricious

The 'evading Pachyrhinosaurus' in 1/40 got a bit more affordable, especially in FD and FUD materials (The change of prizing in WSF and BSF is not that much, though), since I altered the file a bit.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/2758898/evading-pachyrhinosaurus-canadensis-1-40.html?materialId=6

reinier zwanink

Some stunning work here
I am looking thou your post in awe

fabricious

fabricious

Saurophaganax in 1/40 got a whole lot more affordable in FD and FUD, as well as slightly more affordable in WSF/BSF.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2767446/sneaking-saurophaganax-maximus-1-40.html?materialId=6

reinier zwanink

Sorry if this part has already past here
But this is 3D printed?
Do you buy the program to print it or is it the model itsself?
Also
Is this is 1/40 would it not be able to expend the model to say 1/20?

fabricious

Quote from: reinier zwanink on October 21, 2014, 11:37:46 AM
Sorry if this part has already past here
But this is 3D printed?
Do you buy the program to print it or is it the model itsself?
Also
Is this is 1/40 would it not be able to expend the model to say 1/20?

The images I posted are of the 3D-model, it can be purchased as a 3D-print via shapeways.com. You can buy the model and get it printed and sent to you. You can order in different materials, each with different amount of detail and material properties.

I could submit the model in 1/20, but due to material costs and model size, it would get ridiculously expensive to order it as a 3D-print. I will most likely make some other models that are not as big in 1/20 and submit those, though (like smaller ceratopsids, extinct mammals etc.)

Hynerpeton

Does anyone have a shape ways item they bought and a pic of the item? From home i mean.
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

fabricious

SBell

Quote from: predino on October 21, 2014, 09:51:25 PM
Does anyone have a shape ways item they bought and a pic of the item? From home i mean.

There are a ton of them on the forum of all styles and materials. Just look for the other Shapeways threads.

tyrantqueen

It looks gorgeous. I would be very interested in getting it in 1/20 >:D

By the way, Gorgonzola has a method for splitting up models so they can be printed in several parts. It might interest you.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: