News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

fabricious' shapeways models

Started by fabricious, June 08, 2014, 05:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fabricious

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 22, 2014, 05:02:20 PM
it looks very nice so far
what plans for integument do you have?

I have an illustration from another artist that I have to base the model on. Compared to much better known nodosaurids, the artist went a bit wild with large plates and spikes, if you ask me, but I'll do it the way it's being asked for. I already changed the front feet to something more plausible from too elephant-like footpads.

fabricious

Getting serious with scutes, spikes and plates. So much fun! Even though it is a bit extreme (but I have to admit that I didn't take a look at the original material).

fabricious

Whoops, forgot that this guy needs an eye as well! This is getting more and more fun to work on.

fabricious

Corrected the neutral pose a bit (as well as a ton of other things that the original artist doesn't seem to be all too aware of, like the elephantine feet in the front, the [probable] thickness of the neck, tail, back and neck posture etc.).

I will try to make a pose with the head slightly raised and ask for permission to use that one, since nodosaurids seem to have been able to move their necks around a bit more (especially when you're only 2 to 2,5 meters long).

stargatedalek

it looks very nice! :)

do you plan to release this one on shapeways when its finished?

fabricious

If I get the OK from my professors: sure thing! The only thing, though, that could stop me from doing that in the all too near future is the fact, that the festival on which the illustration will be released is in june, so maybe they want to keep it secret until the actual image can be revealed. We'll see!

fabricious

This is getting better and better. The resolution is so high that my computer should have problems with it, but for some reason it's still working fine, haha. And all those details... Tomorrow I'm going to have a meeting with my professors and the illustrator who made the original drawing. Curious to hear what they have to say (I'll defend the halfmoon-shaped front paws. They'll have to cope with me for getting a model of this quality for free.).

fabricious

Met the artist, had a close look at the (original!!!) bones of the animals and corrected the anatomy according to that. This dinosaur is really something special, quite unlike any other ankylosaur I've seen so far! For example: those plates on the neck were actual plates, I was really blown away by that. Anyway, here's a picture:

Rathalosaurus

Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

stargatedalek

That looks amazing
and it sounds like it was a great time making it!

fabricious

Thanks guys, it absolutely was (and still is)! We might only have one dinosaur described from Austria, but it's quite an interesting animal to have (had)! :)

It will meet completion some time this week, then I'm going to start painting and posing. I'll see what I can do about making it available after that.

Rathalosaurus

Austria? I am from Austria too. Wie geht es dir denn? :))

fabricious

Was sagt man dazu, damit hätte ich nicht gerechnet! :) Danke der Nachfrage, wegen dem Modell gerade etwas geschlaucht, haha.

fabricious

First time painting a 3D-model! I'm curious to see if anyone can guess what animal the color and pattern are roughly based on... ;) (a bit tricky, though, since I haven't quite gotten to a more refined point yet...)

stargatedalek

that looks awesome!
could it be a perentie inspiration?

fabricious

I did look at them for reference, but didn't use them in the end. ;)

fabricious

Fiddling around a bit with texturing techniques, but now I'm off to bed. Can't get too carried away with this! ;)

And for those still guessing: you should look at the serpentine world. ;)

Rathalosaurus

Quote from: fabricious on December 01, 2014, 07:30:57 PM
Was sagt man dazu, damit hätte ich nicht gerechnet! :) Danke der Nachfrage, wegen dem Modell gerade etwas geschlaucht, haha.
Verständlich. Das muss ja ne mords Arbeit sein. Daumen hoch, kann ich nur sagen. Das Farbschema ist super.

I understand. This has to be a huge piece of work for you. I only cna say, thumbs up. The colour scheme is very nice.
:) :) :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nice detailing! I love how every scale is there.

fabricious

Thanks Chris! The amount of detail is necessary for the final print, since it will be plotted in life size. :) I sure do hope everything holds up, I just got an email with corrections that I'll have to attend to as soon as possible, it needs to be finished now in december.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: