News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Battat, Terra series - New for 2014

Started by Takama, August 11, 2014, 10:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Quote from: predino on August 13, 2014, 12:21:49 AM
The price is going to be $800 btw. I am friends with him on fb.

The price of what?

Simon

A  bunch of Battats busted out in my car this afternoon.  I grabbed a camera and snapped a few pics.

These 4 were found in my local Target.  Will be hunting for the other two.

A few quick thoughts:

1.   Therizinosaurus – Absolutely awesome sculpt and paint job.  Possibly the BEST Battat to date (including the original 18!!!)
2.   Cryolophosaurus – beautiful, graceful, with personality, totally in line with the original Battat theropods, did I say gorgeous?
3.   Dacentrus – as bad as the original Battat Stegosaurus was, that is how GOOD this Dacentrus is.  Absolutely perfect in ever way!!
4.   Pachyrhinosaurus – big, chunky, heavy.  The pose is a bit awkward, which is also in line with the original Battats.  Paint job is a bit plain.  The sculpt is awesome.

Problems:  Folks, I hate to break it to you, but Battat is STILL using the old soft PVC plastic.  The Theropods will not stand on their own for any length of time (unless you prefer your room temperature on the decidedly cool side).  My recommendation is to keep the clear plastic mounts that come in the boxes and display them with those.  Problem solved.

Gwangi

This is easily the best dino-toy news I've ever been graced with on this forum! And to think I'm fortunate enough to live and work only a short distance from a Target store! Gonna head up there tomorrow, I hope I can get some sleep tonight!

And oh yes, expect reviews from me on the blog if I do manage to acquire some.

loru1588

Quote from: SBell on August 13, 2014, 12:28:50 AM

The price of what?

The price of each toy is $8.00USD NOT $800. Must have missed the decimal point there!!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on August 13, 2014, 12:44:06 AM
And oh yes, expect reviews from me on the blog if I do manage to acquire some.

That'll be great!

Simon

Quote from: loru1588 on August 12, 2014, 08:28:16 PM
Simon : Thanks for the kind words! *snip*

Don't mention it Dan.  BTW, I am also known as "bucketfoot-al" on ebay.  We have corresponded before - just not in about, oh, 10 years! ;)

As you may recall I was involved in getting some of the last batches of 4-5 of the original Battats out on ebay in 2006 after I discovered that they were being sold in a package with about 5-6 other "chinasaurs".

I owned the original Battat collection complete twice.  The first one I sold off 10 years ago, the second one earlier this year as I decided to get rid of almost 100% of my figures collection.  I have no interest in the old Battats anymore, however, I do plan on buying the complete "new" set of 12 (hopefully the rumor about a second set of 6 is true) plus the repaints of the 18 originals.  And, of course, any more that they ask you to sculpt as well!

Collecta really opened a pathway for the new dinosaur collecting - they showed that a company can come in and aggressively market large numbers of new figures.  I can't help but think that the resulting frenzy in the dino-toy-figure business probably had something to do with Battat finally "seeing the light" and deciding to get back in the game.

I saw no horrible Schleich dinos or animals at Target, just the display for the Battat Terra animals and dinos.  So it looks like Battat's re-entry into the business kicked those Schleich monsters right out of the store.

Exciting stuff. 

Bokisaurus

Wow! This is great news! One, if not the best, toy line is back in full force! Glad to see Dan sculpting for toys again! Love his work and I can't wait to see and buy some of these new figures.

Dan - Welcome to the forum! It's been a while, but I got from you  a few of those resin figures from the original set, they are still my most cherished figures in my collection! I also have that gallimumus drawing you sent me framed!

Hynerpeton

Quote from: SBell on August 13, 2014, 12:28:50 AM

The price of what?

And I meant $8.00 for the Dino's. ugh i forgot the decimal. :(
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Simon

Quote from: Bokisaurus on August 13, 2014, 01:13:03 AM
Wow! This is great news! One, if not the best, toy line is back in full force!  *SNIP*

There's no "if" about it.  Battat IS (how nice it sounds, doesn't it - no more need to use past tense) the finest dinotoy line in existence and will now expand its rightful dominion.  ;)

As a self-sufficient set of figures, instantly recognizable as being "Battats" based on both artistic sculpting style and paint jobs, combined with accuracy that in the case of some of the older 20-year-old figures has still not been surpassed, its unique.  Stand-alone, if you will.

That cannot be said about any of the other dinotoy companies. 

Of course, being artistically the best is hardly a guarantee of commercial success, but it will be fun watching Battat's reintroduction into the market.

My best guess is that the market is now large enough that they will find a niche.  Hopefully the company will not neglect the dino-line the way they did the first time around.  Getting a foot in Target Stores was a good move on their part.  Battat Terra dinos should be the "crown jewels", not an afterthought.

Just think folks:  All that noise we made for the past 10 years about Battats wasn't in vain - someone noticed!!!  ;D ;D ;D

[And that is a life lesson for you youngsters out there.  Enthusiasm is one of the most precious commodities in life.  Used properly it will sometimes bring unexpected rewards.  Never let ANYONE dampen your enthusiasm or extinguish your passions. ]   O:-)

Gwangi

Well there is not lack of enthusiasm here. We need to show Battat (not just tell them) that we're committed to their resurrection of these models. We do that by voting with our money which judging by the quality of the figures won't be hard. Some unexpected purchases are in store for me.

DinoLord

Quote from: Simon on August 13, 2014, 12:38:06 AM
Problems:  Folks, I hate to break it to you, but Battat is STILL using the old soft PVC plastic.  The Theropods will not stand on their own for any length of time (unless you prefer your room temperature on the decidedly cool side).

Simon, both the regular and mini Ceratosaurus I got from you are both standing great and bipedally after several months of summer. However I do wonder which versions of the theropods will get recast, as I'm pretty sure all of them ended up as tripods by their final incarnations.

Simon

Quote from: Gwangi on August 13, 2014, 01:47:12 AM
Well there is not lack of enthusiasm here. We need to show Battat (not just tell them) that we're committed to their resurrection of these models. We do that by voting with our money which judging by the quality of the figures won't be hard. Some unexpected purchases are in store for me.

Yup.  I got out of the dino toy figure collecting business completely earlier this year - but I feel strongly enough about Battat that I plan on collecting ALL of the repaints and new figures. How's that for enthusiasm?  Can any other dinotoy line generate anything like it?

Nope.

Besides the "new, improved" Battats, I will not be collecting any other figures or brands (other than Malcolm's Faunacasts, of course).  I like Dan Lorusso's sculpting style as much as I do Malcolms.

Its nice that just about everyone is now jumping up and down at this news!!

Simon

Quote from: DinoLord on August 13, 2014, 01:54:59 AM
Quote from: Simon on August 13, 2014, 12:38:06 AM
Problems:  Folks, I hate to break it to you, but Battat is STILL using the old soft PVC plastic.  The Theropods will not stand on their own for any length of time (unless you prefer your room temperature on the decidedly cool side).

Simon, both the regular and mini Ceratosaurus I got from you are both standing great and bipedally after several months of summer. However I do wonder which versions of the theropods will get recast, as I'm pretty sure all of them ended up as tripods by their final incarnations.

Dinolord - don't worry about it.  With these clear plastic support bases that come in the boxes it doesn't matter.   Just take the bases out carefully before you toss the box, then place the figure on the base and that's it.

I am looking at the Therizinosaur and the Cryolophosaurus on my table right now.

They are sitting nice and comfy on their clear stands.  And they look great!

As I said earlier, this really is "problem solved" assuming that all you are going to be doing is displaying the figures to look at. 

Seijun

I dont remember seeing this asked before, but will the mini battats also be released? Mini rex perhaps?
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Takama

I might see if I can seel some of my Carnegies just to make room for this better collection of Dinosaurs

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: Takama on August 13, 2014, 02:17:24 AM
I might see if I can seel some of my Carnegies just to make room for this better collection of Dinosaurs

If they are Concavenator, Cryolophosaurus, the new Carno, new T.rex, new Dippy, new Brach, sell to me.

Funny how I complain about lack of space and wanna keep gobbling up dinos. Guess I'll toss them into the Phantom Zone or something.

tyrantqueen

QuoteThere's no "if" about it.  Battat IS (how nice it sounds, doesn't it - no more need to use past tense) the finest dinotoy line in existence and will now expand its rightful dominion. 
That's a matter of opinion.

EmperorDinobot

A widely shared opinion.

I'm fond of Kinto (the first soft models, which aren't "soft" Lol), Kaiyodo mini dinos and Battat. Carnegie and Safari and the others mostly out of sentimentalism and loyalty. And every line has pros and cons (Procon? lol).

tyrantqueen

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on August 13, 2014, 02:33:42 AM
A widely shared opinion.

I'm fond of Kinto (the first soft models, which aren't "soft" Lol), Kaiyodo mini dinos and Battat. Carnegie and Safari and the others mostly out of sentimentalism and loyalty. And every line has pros and cons (Procon? lol).
I don't know if Kaiyodo really count, since they're not toys as such. But I would count them as my favourite line. And not forgetting, the Battat line has a few weak figures. I don't care for the Dilophosaurus and the Stegosaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: