News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Battat, Terra series - New for 2014

Started by Takama, August 11, 2014, 10:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 13, 2014, 04:28:06 PM
I'm glad the faces aren't extremely skin wrapped
you really shouldn't be able to every little detail of an animals skull when theres flesh on it

Wha? No. I ment that the eyes look sloppily painted, and cryo looks like he got in a boxing match, with just a few teeth left.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

stargatedalek

A) that would be the paint app then, not the molds ;)
B) I kind of agree on cryos teeth looking injured, but I don't mind it

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 13, 2014, 04:44:01 PM
A) that would be the paint app then, not the molds ;)
B) I kind of agree on cryos teeth looking injured, but I don't mind it

Ya, the mold issue is the "skin" hanging off some parts of the figures, most noticeably on the arms and feet.
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 13, 2014, 04:34:54 PM
you really shouldn't be able to every little detail of an animals skull when theres flesh on it

cryo looks like he got in a boxing match, with just a few teeth left.

I think this was an attempt to give it lips, like this model: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/09/photogalleries/raptorex-tiny-t-rex-pictures/images/primary/090917-01-raptorex-tiny-t-rex_big.jpg

Come to think of it, this might be the first theropod figure I've ever seen with a closed mouth ;)
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 13, 2014, 05:00:34 PM

I think this was an attempt to give it lips, like this model: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/09/photogalleries/raptorex-tiny-t-rex-pictures/images/primary/090917-01-raptorex-tiny-t-rex_big.jpg

Raptorex?

I think that's a bit too much lip.
-UDK

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 13, 2014, 05:02:42 PM

Raptorex?

The degree of lips in dinosaurs is controversial, but there's no reason to think they didn't cover most of the teeth as in all non-aquatic modern reptiles. This blog has tons of info about the debate, here's an example: http://qilong.wordpress.com/2011/09/18/making-lip-of-it/
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 13, 2014, 05:03:50 PM
Quote from: Ultimatedinoking on August 13, 2014, 05:02:42 PM

Raptorex?

The degree of lips in dinosaurs is controversial, but there's no reason to think they didn't cover most of the teeth as in all non-aquatic modern reptiles. This blog has tons of info about the debate, here's an example: http://qilong.wordpress.com/2011/09/18/making-lip-of-it/

It probably isn't too extinsive.
-UDK

SBell

Quote from: Simon on August 13, 2014, 12:49:57 AM

I saw no horrible Schleich dinos or animals at Target, just the display for the Battat Terra animals and dinos.  So it looks like Battat's re-entry into the business kicked those Schleich monsters right out of the store.

Exciting stuff.

Wait, so there are other Battat animals as well? Or is it just a general display? Has anyone taken a photo of a display in-store yet?

Takama

Quote from: SBell on August 13, 2014, 05:55:19 PM

I saw no horrible Schleich dinos or animals at Target, just the display for the Battat Terra animals and dinos.  So it looks like Battat's re-entry into the business kicked those Schleich monsters right out of the store.

Exciting stuff.

Wait, so there are other Battat animals as well? Or is it just a general display? Has anyone taken a photo of a display in-store yet?

Sbell, While I was there, there were other animal figures, however they were not in boxes, and they were on the bottom of the shelf in a pile.

I did not look at any of them because I was too excited about the dinosaurs :-\

Patrx

When I was there, though I took no photos, I saw other products with the "Terra" packaging. There were a couple of mythological creatures, like a hydra, and some kind of farm-themed playset. The box pictured a horse figure, but stated something to the effect of "Terra horse figure not included". If I have time, I may take a camera there at some point.

SBell

Quote from: Takama on August 13, 2014, 06:00:16 PM

Exciting stuff.

Sbell, While I was there, there were other animal figures, however they were not in boxes, and they were on the bottom of the shelf in a pile.

Well, now you must find out what they were! With a new(ish) company on the market, maybe they'll do something interesting. Or they'll just make lions and elephants and...I already stopped paying attention.

Takama

Quote from: SBell on August 13, 2014, 06:15:13 PM
Quote from: Takama on August 13, 2014, 06:00:16 PM

Exciting stuff.

Well, now you must find out what they were! With a new(ish) company on the market, maybe they'll do something interesting. Or they'll just make lions and elephants and...I already stopped paying attention.

Im going today to see if my local target has the products yet. So I will take my camera and photograph them

morrijos

So far none of the Denver, Colorado-area Target stores are carrying them.  :(

Ikessauro

Wasn't the color of the Pachy inspired by this model from the Dinosaur Studio? I mean, after all it's from Dan too...

Simon

Wha? No. I ment that the eyes look sloppily painted, and cryo looks like he got in a boxing match, with just a few teeth left.

The eyes look A-OK to me, especially on the big theri.  The Cryo's teeth aren't painted very well (a few on mine aren't white at all so they are hard to see).

I counted 5 protruding teeth on the right side of the upper jaw, one in front, and 7 more on the left side.  Seems quite reasonable given that the shorter teeth wouldn't necessarily be very visible on a 1/40 sculpt, and that some teeth would naturally be missing ... especially on an older animal ...

Simon

Exciting stuff.

Yes, there are Terra by Battat farm animals and some wild animals too (I didn't look too closely but they are alongside the dinos, also in boxes) ...

stargatedalek

well depending on what they are the gigantoraptor may have some competition for who gets bought first after all :P

Simon

Quote from: Patrx on August 13, 2014, 03:24:30 PM
Quote from: Simon on August 13, 2014, 11:25:41 AM
The Dacentrus and the Cryolophosaurus look like "one-piece" castings, however.

Actually, in looking at my copy of the Dacentrurus, I think the shoulder spikes might be separate pieces.

Yes, you are right.  They sure do look like inserts.

loru1588

Okay people, everybody's a critic !! LOL So, if you have some questions, criticisms, complaints and ( god forbid ) a kind word, I'm here to do my best and answer questions. No anger, though you all might get a taste of good old NE sarcasm!!! 1st, let me give you a tutorial on how these toys were made. Battat gave me free reign on species and color schemes. The only guideline was that they were between 5" and 7". It was my decision to pick species that worked out to that size range in 1/40th scale so they would fit in with the soon to be re-issued MOS Boston series. The finished 1 piece original Super Sculpy sculpture is sent to the caster to be molded in rubber. If the caster deems it would be easier to mold & de-mold it is his choice to cut the original into pieces. From there the resin casting are made. We need 5 copies of each; 3 for the steel mold, 1 as the paint master and 1 as an archival piece. The toy molds are multi-pieced injection molds so 3 toys are made at the same time. The "slugs" as they are called come out in whatever color plastic they are using, usually a neutral color.  From that stage they are assembled if they were made multi-pieced, then go to the paint area where the basic patterns are masked and the rest of the detail is hand painted. I have no idea what some of you folks are talking about as far as loose plastic, can someone post some pics of these areas please? You can go to my Dinosaur Studio Facebook Page to see the original Amargasaurus sequence, until I learn how to post pics here!

Yutyrannus

Has anyone seen the Gastonia is Target yet?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: