News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Battat, Terra series - New for 2014

Started by Takama, August 11, 2014, 10:43:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Roselaar

Quote from: loru1588 on August 25, 2014, 07:19:37 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on August 25, 2014, 12:18:09 PM
Quote from: loru1588 on August 24, 2014, 02:11:15 PM
Battat is doing there best to work out distributorship in Europe and elsewhere. Target will have the final say, so no promises. They do understand about all the collectors out there.

Battat on the European market would be the icing on the cake in what is already a wonderful string of delightfully positive events. I know the Netherlands would be skipped out in such an occurrence, as they usually are, but it would sitll make it a lot easier (and cheaper) to score these beauties.

Incidentally, could anyone supply me with the product bar codes for each of the four currently available figures? A friend of mine in the USA is trying to get me these, but he wants to phone Target ahead to make sure they're in stock, instead of wasting his time and effort by visiting a store that doesn't have them. Thanks in advance! :)

For Amanda and anyone else interested, here are the bar codes to the 1st four: 062243275591, 062243275614, 062243275607, 062243275621. At least this way they can track them down in the store for you.

Thanks a lot! :)

loru1588

Interesting scheme Bokisaurus! Nice job!

JakobVicent

Quote from: loru1588 on August 30, 2014, 02:00:29 PM
Quote from: JakobVicent on August 30, 2014, 05:31:34 AM
Does anyone know when the rest of the figures are going to be released?

Battat is on their way back from Hong Kong. The Gigantoraptor and Gastonia should be out any day now as long as there were no production snags.

Thanks Dan! I will keep my eye out for them.

Sim

Quote from: loru1588 on August 24, 2014, 02:11:15 PM
Battat is doing there best to work out distributorship in Europe and elsewhere. Target will have the final say, so no promises. They do understand about all the collectors out there.
I appreciate this.  It would be a dream come true to have the Battat dinosaurs sold in the UK again!  Please do let us know if they become available anywhere outside America!  :)

Meso-Cenozoic

Thanks for the update, Dan. Looking forward to both these new figures, but especially the Gastonia! Hopefully my Target will have their display up by then, too.

Boki, nice job with the dry-brushing. It really does bring out the skin details much better.

Concavenator

My opinion:
Nanshiungosaurus-Shame it's featherless.Hands are pronated.Otherwise it's not a bad sculpt but it could've deserved more accuracy.Great obscure species though.
Gigantoraptor-Longer feathers on the arms would've made this figure stand out more.The wings look weird.The pose is a bit strange,but you can take or leave it.
Dacentrurus-Neat sculpt.Looks accurate,peaceful stance.Paint apps could've got more imaginative but it's okay at the moment.
Pachyrhinosaurus-Awesome sculpt,I have beenwaiting for this!Papo's attempt left a bit to be desired,and Wild Safari's while still a great figure,it feels a bit shrink wrapped.I have been waiting for a bulky and chubby Pachyrhinosaurus!Best mode, of this species so far imo.
Gastonia-Delightful,wonderful sculpt.A real stand out.Love it.Would make a great pair with CollectA's.
Cryolophosaurus-Beautiful,graceful,slim and with personality.Along with the Gastonia,my fave of the bunch.
I'm planning to get the Cryolophosaurus,Gastonia and Pachyrhinosaurus at some point.Hope more models will be released!

DinoLord

Went to a few local Targets today. Unfortunately the Gastonia & Gigantoraptor are not released yet. Interestingly the Nanshiungosaurus seems to be the best seller - one store I went to was completely out while the other only had 4 compared to at least 8 of the other types.

Meso-Cenozoic

Hey Andrew, you're in northern New Jersey too, right? What Targets did you check out? I haven't checked mine here in Jersey City this week yet. But I'll probably go by week's end.

DinoLord

Meso-Cenozoic

OK, thanks Andrew! As soon as I check out my Target, I'll post here what I find (or not find). There might be a bit of lag in deliveries here in the States this week because of Monday being Labor Day and there wasn't any mail.

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on September 04, 2014, 12:19:58 AM
My opinion:
Nanshiungosaurus-Shame it's featherless.Hands are pronated.Otherwise it's not a bad sculpt but it could've deserved more accuracy.Great obscure species though.
The hands of the Battat Nanshiungosaurus don't look pronated to me.

amanda

Concavenator

Quote from: amanda on September 04, 2014, 09:57:50 PM
They're not.
Yes,they are.The palms of its hands are looking down.
Hands discussion aside,when's that Gastonia coming out?It's a beauty!  :D

tyrantqueen

I don't think they are.

Patrx

Indeed, look at the way the forearms themselves are posed. I seem to recall Dan saying he did not pronate the hands, but bent the shoulders in such a way that the neutrally-positioned hands could face the ground a bit. Presumably this was for stability reasons.

tyrantqueen

Can't look at the Battat Nanshiungosaurus without getting hungry :-[

loru1588

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 04, 2014, 10:26:51 PM
I don't think they are.

I made the left hand tucked like a bird would tuck a wing. The right hand is twisted a bit to stabilize the figure.

amanda

Quote from: Concavenator on September 04, 2014, 10:16:27 PM
Quote from: amanda on September 04, 2014, 09:57:50 PM
They're not.
Yes,they are.The palms of its hands are looking down.

Ah. No. I have the figure right in front of me. On neither hand are the palms facing down. The stabilizing arm is rotated a bit, but the tucked one is not. Even the rotated one is not palm down. Look at it dead on from the front, it is tilted but not face down.

As to the lack of feathers, Dan has explained his decision on that already. It is a personal interpretation. There is no DIRECT evidence of feathering on THIS animal, so he (as many sculpters seem to do) went the conservative route. You may disagree, and I understand why. But that does not mean the figure is inaccurate. It is a conservative, but accurate, interpretation of available evidence.  It truly is a wonderful little figure.They all are so far, a nice sense of weight to them, of bulk without seeming clunky. They are most welcome additions.

DinoLord

Dan, a point for future reference:

Most dinosaurs could not tuck their hands in as far as birds do with their wings. It's a minor nitpicky issue to be sure, but just something I thought you should know.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: