You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

You take really great photos, Fembrogon!  I always enjoy them.

I remember when you got your Battat Terra Carnotaurus, you showed how warped its face was.  I'm not sure if you already know that not all copies of this figure are like that?  My one's face isn't symmetrical but this isn't very noticeable.  I compared mine to the one in your photos from last August.  When I look at it head-on my one's face looks less warped compared to the one in your photos.  My one also has slightly different looking hands compared to yours.

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 22, 2016, 08:32:33 AM
To me the most problematic one is that crawling quadrupedal Acrocanthosaurus.

I think that isn't a problem for the Acrocanthosaurus if it's a copy that hasn't had its right arm bent.  Just how much that can affect the figure can be seen in Victoria B's comparison in Reply #809 here.  I think how much the right arm gets bent is determined by how the figure is tied to the box.  If someone gets an Acro with a bent right arm, I think the arm could be reverted to its original position by boiling some water in a kettle, pouring that water into a container and putting the Acro's arm into the hot water.  (And after it's reverted, putting the arm under cold water so the plastic cools down in that position.)  I feel I should say though, if the feet/legs go into the hot water I think they are likely to revert to being less bent forward, resulting in the figure standing on its tiptoes as seen on the Battat Terra website, due to the plastic not being hard enough to keep it standing on just its feet.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

My Acro's in a "quadrupedal" stance, but I've just taken that to mean that it's crouching down over a carcass or a body of water. Not every toy in my collection has to be sporting an awesomebro roaring pose of death.

Fembrogon

Thanks for the compliment, Sim. I actually don't notice my Carno's face anymore, but I'm glad others turned out better.

Quote from: suspsy on March 21, 2016, 10:42:13 PM
The Stegosaurus looks so crude compared to the rest of them.
I know, right? It's the odd duck in the nest. I mean, I don't think I'd call it a bad figure, but it doesn't look up to par.

tyrantqueen

I was always under the impression that the rereleased Acro is leaning forward because the mold was tweaked for it to be that way, because they ALL look like that. It's not an accident, it is a mechanism so it can stand upright by itself. I don't think it is a defect that snuck into the mold over time.

One of the biggest criticisms, back in the day of the original toy line, was that many of the dinosaurs could not stand by themselves. I personally think it looks terrible but I guess having a toy being able to stand freely is more important to some people. I consider the V1 to be superior. Kinda makes me regret selling mine, at least a little. The leaning Acro just looks stupid to me.

suspsy

Quote from: Fembrogon on March 22, 2016, 02:06:14 PM

Quote from: suspsy on March 21, 2016, 10:42:13 PM
The Stegosaurus looks so crude compared to the rest of them.
I know, right? It's the odd duck in the nest. I mean, I don't think I'd call it a bad figure, but it doesn't look up to par.

It's not just the eight spikes. It's also the sloppy paint job that looks like it was applied by a sixth grader. When I came across the Para and the Euoplo in Watertown a week ago, I examined the two Stegosaurus figures and they were both bad. Neither of them had fully painted plates.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Don B.

Has anyone heard about plans for the next ones in the series? If I remember correctly, Dan had some new dinosaurs in addition to the rest of the reissues. Or is my memory playing tricks on me ... AGAIN!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Don B. on March 22, 2016, 11:18:56 PM
Has anyone heard about plans for the next ones in the series? If I remember correctly, Dan had some new dinosaurs in addition to the rest of the reissues. Or is my memory playing tricks on me ... AGAIN!
As far as I know, there hasn't been any news. Dan completed five new sculpts and submitted paint masters, but that's as much news as any of us has heard. The new dinos are Europasaurus, Gastonia, Gigantoraptor, Nasutoceratops, and Pentaceratops, and there are photos in this thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2742.0
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 22, 2016, 02:12:58 PM
I was always under the impression that the rereleased Acro is leaning forward because the mold was tweaked for it to be that way, because they ALL look like that. It's not an accident, it is a mechanism so it can stand upright by itself. I don't think it is a defect that snuck into the mold over time.

One of the biggest criticisms, back in the day of the original toy line, was that many of the dinosaurs could not stand by themselves. I personally think it looks terrible but I guess having a toy being able to stand freely is more important to some people. I consider the V1 to be superior. Kinda makes me regret selling mine, at least a little. The leaning Acro just looks stupid to me.

Some time ago I was keen to see if exposing the Acro to hot water would revert it to the pose that would allow it to stand on two feet only.  I obtained a second Battat Terra Acrocanthosaurus, so I picked the less good copy to try this on in case of a bad result.  I did the method I suggested for the right arm in my previous post, except I did it for its feet and lower legs instead.  It only took a few seconds in the hot water for the feet/lower legs to revert to their original position (the same position as seen in the MOS Acros that stand on just their feet).  I didn't have to move them, they went back to their original position simply by being in the kettle-boiled water.  I put those parts of the Acro under cold water and after they had become cold I tried seeing if it could stand.  It can stand on just its two feet, but only for a few seconds due to the pliability of the plastic.  After a few seconds it will fall forward and stand on its tiptoes just like the one on the Battat Terra website.  I guess the result would be the same for other copies of this figure.  I'm glad I tried this (and on the less good copy I had!) as I was really curious about this.  After all this, I realised I don't mind the leaning on the hand pose for the Acro provided the arm isn't bent bringing it too close to the ground.

All the Battat Terra Acros I've seen seem to have the legs posed the same way, as you mentioned.  That includes the one I exposed to hot water who's legs then reverted to the original position though...  This makes me think the re-issued Acros all have legs in the same 'new' pose because of how they are tied to their box.  Maybe that's why the one on the website is on its tiptoes - because it was never tied to a box.  If this is all true, I'm not sure how much was intentional, but being tied to the box bringing its feet against the ground results in a pose that's superior to being on tiptoes, in my opinion!

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 22, 2016, 11:29:56 PM
Quote from: Don B. on March 22, 2016, 11:18:56 PM
As far as I know, there hasn't been any news. Dan completed five new sculpts and submitted paint masters, but that's as much news as any of us has heard. The new dinos are Europasaurus, Gastonia, Gigantoraptor, Nasutoceratops, and Pentaceratops, and there are photos in this thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2742.0

As I noted in that other thread, I think it would be a marvellous thing if the next wave consisted of new toys instead of the repaints. I find it strange and frustrating how Battat doesn't reveal anything ahead of time.

amargasaurus cazaui

guess when I look at the repainted models Dan did, I have a bit of tendancy to overlook the somewhat less then perfect paint apps, and what not. He was dying and chose to spend some of his final efforts redoing that paint so we could have these models before he left us. I remember him talking about some of the troubles he was having sculpting and what not with his treatments ongoing....thats just me of course, but yeah I sorta overlook the paint , given the back story
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

hiplobonoxa

after much searching, i finally found the latest series at a target in the boston area! i am now the proud owner of the stegosaurus, parasaurolophus, and euoplocephalus repaints. while shopping, i noticed that the box sizes seem to have been standardized. among the many pachyrhinosauruses, i noticed two different box sizes: one the original and the other the same size as the other medium figures. has anyone else noticed this? also worth noting: battat terra dinosaurs are on sale this week, through 3/26.

i love collecting these figures. as they sit there on the shelf, i feel like they were made just for us.

suspsy

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 23, 2016, 01:48:43 AM
guess when I look at the repainted models Dan did, I have a bit of tendancy to overlook the somewhat less then perfect paint apps, and what not. He was dying and chose to spend some of his final efforts redoing that paint so we could have these models before he left us. I remember him talking about some of the troubles he was having sculpting and what not with his treatments ongoing....thats just me of course, but yeah I sorta overlook the paint , given the back story

Dan did the paint apps for the prototypes, yes, but those were fine. I'm talking about the production models, which are painted (sometimes sloppily) by people in a factory.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: suspsy on March 23, 2016, 12:49:49 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on March 23, 2016, 01:48:43 AM

Dan did the paint apps for the prototypes, yes, but those were fine. I'm talking about the production models, which are painted (sometimes sloppily) by people in a factory.
I havent gotten my hands on the latest set of repaints yet, but I can state quite comfortably that all of the other figures up to this point at least, you can find very well done paint and some that are rather sloppy...the trick seems to be take your time and find the one that meets your criteria...if thats all the problem you are having
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Victoria's Cantina

Found Euophalocephalus and Parasaurolophus at a local Target in San Diego today! No trace of the Stegosaurus, but I'm glad I found these two! Love the Parasaur.

Sim

Quote from: suspsy on March 23, 2016, 12:16:10 AM
I find it strange and frustrating how Battat doesn't reveal anything ahead of time.

Battat revealed the Stegosaurus, Parasaurolophus and Euoplocephalus some time before they were released.  Also, I called Battat in April 2015 back when all the Battat Terra dinos that had been released were just the first four (Cryo, Nanshiungo, Pachyrhino, Dacentrurus) and we didn't know what dinosaurs were coming next and when they would be released.  The Battat customer service representative I spoke to confirmed two more dinosaurs were going to be released in 2015.  In the end, more than two were released in 2015, but they still told me of what had been planned at that point in time.

FlawedCoil82

I don't know, I hope the others will still be coming because thats the main reason I started collecting them in the first place was to get them all. IF for some reason none of the others would be coming out beyond the latest 3 though then I would likely sell off all the ones I have bought so far. But I am mainly wanting Triceratops and Styracosaurus...they would be the highlights of my Battat dinos.

Victoria's Cantina

Found all three of them at another local Target. Got the Stegosaurus, completing the wave for me. It took a while, but it's nice to see them becoming more readily available. I really hope they keep this line going.

suspsy

The good news is that the remaining reissues and the as-yet-unreleased 2015 sculpts add up to twelve figures, plus the giant Diplodocus. So in theory, Battat can release four more waves before running out.

Blade-of-the-Moon

checked my local monday,  plenty carnos, ceratos and amargas..nothing newer yet

Don B.

Quote from: suspsy on April 01, 2016, 04:00:15 AM
The good news is that the remaining reissues and the as-yet-unreleased 2015 sculpts add up to twelve figures, plus the giant Diplodocus. So in theory, Battat can release four more waves before running out.

Well, maybe by that time, Battat will have found a new sculptor.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: