You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayakasaurus

59 pages in, these are not "NEW PICS!" anymore . Could someone change the title to something like, "Pics on page one"?  :)
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

J.R.S T REX

I went to Target today in Kissimmee Florida and picked up 6 of the new Terra Series for my grandson.   The following is what they had in stock and I purchased one of each.

1. Tyrannosaurus
2. Carnotaurus
3. Acrocanthosaurus
4. Dacentrurus
5. Ceratosaurus
6. Pacyrhinosaurus

He will just love them!

joossa

Quote from: Victoria B on February 11, 2016, 09:54:07 AM
Still haven't found the new guys at my local Targets in San Diego. They have plenty of the last two waves though.
I've seen them around in LA County stores. For some reason, I thought you lived in Texas.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Anybody here live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? I'm moving there in the next couple of weeks. I haven't yet bought all the Battats I want yet, so I was wondering what the situation is like with the Targets over there. I have a decent selection at my Target here, and I'm trying to decide whether to buy them before I move or not.

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: joossa on February 19, 2016, 09:18:41 PM
Quote from: Victoria B on February 11, 2016, 09:54:07 AM
Still haven't found the new guys at my local Targets in San Diego. They have plenty of the last two waves though.
I've seen them around in LA County stores. For some reason, I thought you lived in Texas.

I'm from Texas, but I've been in SoCal for the last eight years.

triceratops83

What bugs me is that I live within 30 minutes' drive of TWO Targets but these things just aren't turning up in Australia. I mean, it's Target, why can't they sell the same stock as in the U.S.?
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Sim

I'm really looking forward to getting the Battat Terra Euoplocephalus eventually!  I was concerned it (and many other ankylosaurid toys) combined features exclusive to different ankylosaurid species which for a while were all considered to be Euoplocephalus specimens.  I've recently read about those ankylosaurids again and I think I misunderstood some of the differences and how they would be visible, at least with regards to some between Euoplocephalus and Scolosaurus which are more similar than I previously thought.  I'm happy I can see the Battat Euoplocephalus as an excellent toy of Euoplocephalus again!  It looks very good, I really like how wide it is!  I've never owned one.  I had the Battat Edmontonia when I was a kid, which is a great toy, and like the Euoplo impressively wide.  I really look forward to getting the re-issued Edmontonia too!

Lanthanotus

I've got a question for those of you who live where the Battat models are sold, my apologies in advance but I hope you understand that I could not read through 60 pages in this thread.....

Battat's catalogue lists 11 different models (as can be seen here from page 48 onwards: click) so I guess these are the ones currently available. But the catalogue is for distributors "worldwide" and not Target exclusive and a lot of potential Battat dinosaurs are missing, also some that are shown on page one of this thread. So ....

... are these 11 the only ones currently availabe (in the Terra line, not retired ones obviously) and will other models be released later on? I'd be very interested in the Maia- and Ouranosaurus, but they just seem to be available as retired, original Battats?

Thanks for your replies.

Sim

Wow, thanks for sharing that catalogue Lanthanotus!  It's the first time I see a Battat catalogue!  It is indeed an international/worldwide catalogue, so this means we really may see the Battat Terra dinosaurs sold in shops outside of the US!

I don't live in the US, so I don't live near where the Battat models are sold.  However, this is my favourite dinosaur toy line and I've been keeping up with news about this line.  I have read every post in this thread.  So, I think I can answer your questions.  I believe you are right those 11 are the only ones currently available.  None of the other re-issued figures or new sculpts have been found by anyone and there's nothing to suggest they have been released yet.  At the moment the third wave (Stegosaurus, Parasaurolophus and Euoplocephalus) is still new and slowly becoming available in Targets over the US.  In Reply #1137 here I listed which months each Battat Terra dinosaur wave started appearing in.

That catalogue seems to suggest the Nanshiungosaurus has been discontinued.  Some time ago, some forum members said the Nanshiungo had gone on clearance, and since then all the other released Terra dinos continued to be found in Targets, but the Nanshiungosaurus was never seen in store again.  That made me think it might've been discontinued, and its the only one not listed in that catalogue...  It's still on the Battat Terra website though: http://www.terrauniverse.com/dinosaurs  The 12 dinosaurs on the website are all the ones that have been released so far.  You are right the Maiasaura and Ouranosaurus are currently only available as retired original Battats.  I think it's very likely they and the other unreleased repaints, as well as the unreleased new sculpts, will all be released by Battat in future waves.  Dan LoRusso said Battat will re-issue all the original Battat dinosaurs at some point.

That little section about Dan LoRusso in the dinosaurs section of the catalogue is really nice.  It seems Battat is aware of Dan's keenness for accurate dinosaur reconstructions, and that their dinosaur figures have a high level of accuracy and aren't movie monster/fantasy creature type dinosaur toys.

On page 52 of the catalogue there's a Battat Terra display with some of the dinosaurs and the Carnotaurus and Parasaurolophus have their original colour schemes.  Their boxes also have a plain background.  The Tyrannosaurus has its Battat Terra colour scheme though and its box has the scenery background.  My guess is the Parasaurolophus and Carnotaurus weren't ready when the photo needed to be taken, hence the MOS versions being used and their boxes missing the background.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 07, 2016, 09:17:59 PM
I've got a question for those of you who live where the Battat models are sold, my apologies in advance but I hope you understand that I could not read through 60 pages in this thread.....

Battat's catalogue lists 11 different models (as can be seen here from page 48 onwards: click) so I guess these are the ones currently available. But the catalogue is for distributors "worldwide" and not Target exclusive and a lot of potential Battat dinosaurs are missing, also some that are shown on page one of this thread. So ....

... are these 11 the only ones currently availabe (in the Terra line, not retired ones obviously) and will other models be released later on? I'd be very interested in the Maia- and Ouranosaurus, but they just seem to be available as retired, original Battats?

Thanks for your replies.
Sim pretty much summed it up. I found the most recent three figures over a month ago and I still haven't seen another. I haven't seen a Nanshiungosaurus in several months and it does seem to be discontinued. I'm not sure why. Maybe it didn't sell well, or maybe it was just awkward from a merchandising perspective because the box was shaped differently and it didn't stack well with the others. Like Sim, I think it's pretty likely that the rest will be released before too long. Their inclusion in this catalog is further evidence of that, I would say.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Sim on March 07, 2016, 11:29:45 PM
Wow, thanks for sharing that catalogue Lanthanotus!  It's the first time I see a Battat catalogue!  It is indeed an international/worldwide catalogue, so this means we really may see the Battat Terra dinosaurs sold in shops outside of the US!

I don't live in the US, so I don't live near where the Battat models are sold.  However, this is my favourite dinosaur toy line and I've been keeping up with news about this line.  I have read every post in this thread.  So, I think I can answer your questions.  I believe you are right those 11 are the only ones currently available.  None of the other re-issued figures or new sculpts have been found by anyone and there's nothing to suggest they have been released yet.  At the moment the third wave (Stegosaurus, Parasaurolophus and Euoplocephalus) is still new and slowly becoming available in Targets over the US.  In Reply #1137 here I listed which months each Battat Terra dinosaur wave started appearing in.

That catalogue seems to suggest the Nanshiungosaurus has been discontinued.  Some time ago, some forum members said the Nanshiungo had gone on clearance, and since then all the other released Terra dinos continued to be found in Targets, but the Nanshiungosaurus was never seen in store again.  That made me think it might've been discontinued, and its the only one not listed in that catalogue...  It's still on the Battat Terra website though: http://www.terrauniverse.com/dinosaurs  The 12 dinosaurs on the website are all the ones that have been released so far.  You are right the Maiasaura and Ouranosaurus are currently only available as retired original Battats.  I think it's very likely they and the other unreleased repaints, as well as the unreleased new sculpts, will all be released by Battat in future waves.  Dan LoRusso said Battat will re-issue all the original Battat dinosaurs at some point.

That little section about Dan LoRusso in the dinosaurs section of the catalogue is really nice.  It seems Battat is aware of Dan's keenness for accurate dinosaur reconstructions, and that their dinosaur figures have a high level of accuracy and aren't movie monster/fantasy creature type dinosaur toys.

On page 52 of the catalogue there's a Battat Terra display with some of the dinosaurs and the Carnotaurus and Parasaurolophus have their original colour schemes.  Their boxes also have a plain background.  The Tyrannosaurus has its Battat Terra colour scheme though and its box has the scenery background.  My guess is the Parasaurolophus and Carnotaurus weren't ready when the photo needed to be taken, hence the MOS versions being used and their boxes missing the background.

I haven't seen a single Nanshiungosaurus since I started paying attention to these last summer. I managed to get one on Target.com in December, however. I still haven't seen the latest wave with the Parasaurolophus, but they keep restocking the previous one with the Carnotaurus. I'm still seeing quite a few of the first wave too. 

I like how they mentioned Dan in the catalogue as well, though I'm guessing it was written prior to his passing.

ItsTwentyBelow

I also have not seen Nanshiungosaurus in stores since maybe early last summer.

Lately I've noticed plenty of the others from wave 1 and the medium dinos from wave 2.

T.rex, Acro and wave 3 seem to be a tad more difficult to find in my area.

suspsy

Huh. Wasn't aware that Battat had such a diverse inventory.

I've been toying with the notion of skipping across the border into NY state during the March Break next week. Has the Euoplocephalus/Parasaurolophus wave been sighted in the northeastern US?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

There were two Nashiungosaurus at our Target in December but they were clearenced out.   I went again last week saw one Acro with bent arms a lot of Dacentrurus, one Carno, two Amargas, and two Ceratosaurus.

Haven't seen any of the newer ones yet.

Pilkington

I was out of town over the weekend and was on the lookout for the new Terra repaints, which I unfortunately did not find.  I did however come across a repaint Rex and ElTiante was correct about Battat fixing the toppling problem.  The newer version is cast in a stiffer plastic and it stands better then any of the original series 3 Rexes I've owned.  It also appears that the newer one is a whole new mold of the Battat Rex. 

The teeth are the most noticeable difference as they are now rounded and a bit cartoony. 

On the plus side they fixed all the mold errors that plagued the original and older repaint. 

Unfortunately some of the details on the newer model are a bit softer then the other one but it's not that bad.

Copyright information has been updated.

Something about the new one still seems a bit off to me, I can't put my finger on what it is, maybe I've just been looking at them for too long...

Sorry about the crappy busted up and sun faded original Rex, I couldn't find the stock one I have and the other one I own is customized, this one been sitting in my custom pile.
If you wanna be alone, come with me

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Pilkington on March 08, 2016, 05:45:28 AM
I was out of town over the weekend and was on the lookout for the new Terra repaints, which I unfortunately did not find.  I did however come across a repaint Rex and ElTiante was correct about Battat fixing the toppling problem.  The newer version is cast in a stiffer plastic and it stands better then any of the original series 3 Rexes I've owned.  It also appears that the newer one is a whole new mold of the Battat Rex.

Thanks for the comparison! Very interesting how they went back and changed it. I was actually at Target today and was feeling the T-Rex they had there to see how stiff the plastic was. It did seem a bit stiffer than the one I have, but I thought it was possibly my imagination. Good to know there is in fact a running change. Let us know if it's able to stay standing and doesn't start toppling over.

MLMjp

Well, this means that the line is still on bussiness. But they need to continue with the third wave already

It is good that it got some tweeking, but those teeth.....ughh... Was it really necesary?????

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think the teeth look better on the older version too.

I wonder..how odd we must look standing in the toy isle "feeling up" dinosaur toys... lol

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 08, 2016, 08:06:55 AM
I think the teeth look better on the older version too.

I wonder..how odd we must look standing in the toy isle "feeling up" dinosaur toys... lol

Haha! It's especially awkward with the Terra toys since they are on an endcap. I try to be subtle about it though! I've also been known to stand in the toy aisle comparing multiples of the same item trying to find the one wit the best paint.

amargasaurus cazaui

One sunday when I went out buying and the recent grouping of five had just hit my area, I was in a store and went over the end cap with my cart and loaded all the new ones up. I overheard a little boy telling his mom....look that old man took all the dinosaurs !!!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: