You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

It's great to hear from you and see you back Dan!  I too was a little concerned by your absence.  One of the things I've been hoping for is for Battat to release new dinosaur sculpts/repainted figures that you've done, after the Cryo, Dacentrurus, Pachyrhino and Nanshiungo, and I'm happy that's finally happening!  Something I've been hoping for more though was for you to be doing better health-wise.  I'm really happy to hear you're doing better Dan! :)  I hope your health continues to improve!

terrorchicken

QuoteThe Acrocanthosaurus has be reposed so that it is either leaning on one hand or reaching closer to the ground with one hand, and the rex now has its tail bent at a nearly 90 degree angle.

I have the original green acrocantho and it always wants to fall forward on its hands too.  :(

Too bad about the Rex not standing. But at least it wont have the ugly "shoes" like my old version.  :P

Dan I hope you are feeling better, I didnt know you had been sick.  And thank you for your beautiful sculpts, these were among my first dinosaur models sets I collected. :)

Gwangi

Despite the unfortunate standing issues, that Tyrannosaurus is beautiful. I've always thought the Battat T. rex was the best mass produced toy T. rex out there, but I've never had it in hand. I have to get it regardless of its flaws.

Sim

Quote from: drjre77 on July 31, 2015, 04:00:28 PM
Brand new website for the terra products!!!  http://www.terrauniverse.com/   Just went live yesterday. I only found out because I talked to them on the phone. they are calling me back Monday with a place in Canada to buy them. (hopefully)
Thanks for posting this drjre77! :)  I'm happy to see Battat is finally giving more attention to their dinosaurs.  It's great to see all the dinosaurs currently in the Terra line on their website!  If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time ever Battat has represented their dinosaur figures online!?  I'm curious about where the Terra dinosaurs will be sold in Canada as that seems to imply they'll be sold at somewhere that isn't Target.  I may have to call them to ask if they will be sold in the UK (or anywhere else) too!

ItsTwentyBelow

Yep, I can confirm they are trickling out. Just went for a joyride and found a lone Acrocanthosaurus next to a row of Pachyrhinos at the Target in Kent, Washington. Someone may have already gotten to the rex. I snapped the Acro right up!

I had a bit of a giddy moment, there. The last time I saw one of these guys in person was at the Pacific Science Center here in Seattle in probably 1998 or 1999, and I definitely did NOT get it then. It was boxed, so nicely. So cool to be able to get it boxed again in 2015, like an original Battat (minus plastic window)!

Might post pics later. I remember others reporting all the stability issues with this Acro back in the day, so I am unfazed that Battat still couldn't really work that out. It's a beautiful figure nonetheless!

Shadowknight1

Well, being an Acro nut, I'm somewhat tempted by that rerelease, but...Battat doesn't distribute anywhere near me apparently.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Don B.

Quote from: Gwangi on August 01, 2015, 11:07:32 PM
Despite the unfortunate standing issues, that Tyrannosaurus is beautiful. I've always thought the Battat T. rex was the best mass produced toy T. rex out there, but I've never had it in hand. I have to get it regardless of its flaws.

The Favorite ones are quite nice as well.

Gwangi

Quote from: Don B. on August 02, 2015, 03:56:52 AM

The Favorite ones are quite nice as well.

I agree, and there are others too. The Battat is just my favorite. Along with the "Sue at the Field Museum" by Safari.

Tyrannosauron

First and foremost: welcome back, Dan, and thanks for everything you've done! I sincerely hope your health continues to improve.

Found the T. rex and Acrocanthosaurus out on the shelves today! I saw the long Terra boxes from a distance and had to remind myself that I'm an adult and I therefore don't go running across a store for toys anymore.

I can confirm a couple of things:

First, Battat does seem to be using a different, softer plastic for these larger figures. I would almost qualify the plastic as rubbery. By comparison, the plastic used for the old "snowshoe" Rex is rock solid. If not for the quality of the plastic, they would stand just fine on their own; as it is, some kind of support will be necessary unless you plan to display the figures in your freezer. (For the record: I do have a Hoth Darth Vader figure in my freezer.)

Second, both figures bear the same stamps as the originals. Each has the original release date--1994, I think--and the genus and species names. It does look like the paint application is a bit thick, or perhaps the original molds have degraded a little, and so the text is difficult to read. I tried snapping a couple of pictures, but none of them turned out well enough to share.

Despite the issues with the plastic, I'm incredibly excited to own these figures. It almost feels criminal to get sculpts of this quality for less than $10 each. Thanks again, Dan!

Takama

Quote from: Quendrega on August 01, 2015, 07:50:08 PM
Welcome back Dan!

Here are the pictures of the Tyrannosaurus (with him leaning on a variety of different objects). My apologies to suspsy, I only have one other Tyrannosaurus figure at the moment. I also apologize for the graininess of the photos.

Is that a Toothpick your using?.    If so, i know what to use for support when i get this model

Takama

Quote from: suspsy on August 01, 2015, 08:07:21 PM
That one comparison pic with the PRTR is fine, thanks.

Hate to say it, but even though T. rex is my all-time favourite dinosaur, I don't know if I would get this one. Stability is a major deciding factor for me. But we'll see. My soon-to-be-wife and I will be driving down to Martha's Vineyard in September after our wedding and I may try to talk her into stopping at a Target if we pass one.

Maybe buy one and leave it in the box?

suspsy

Not my style. I've never been a MISB collector. Not with Transformers, not with Lego, and definitely not with dinosaurs.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Paleona

I hope your health continues to improve, Dan!  And I just have to say that I'm really excited to own these re-releases; I never owned any back in the day, and only learned about them through the blog. 

And thanks for posting pics of the Rex, Quendrega. :)  It's a beautiful model, despite the standing issues!  Definitely the best looking I've seen of the mass produced T.rexes- looks like the teeth and small details are painted pretty neatly, too, yeah?  Looks better than my poor 2011 WS Rex, with his sloppy teeth.  I only wish more care would be taken when painting the eyes- a lot of figures seem to suffer from "chameleon eyes", lol.

ItsTwentyBelow

Here are some Acro pics. Yes, the plastic is much more rubbery this time around, and so unfortunately there is no possibility of getting this figure to stand on two feet without support. It is even a bit unstable just resting on its tail due to the feet being so squishy, but it's the Battat Acrocanthosaurus! I'm really liking the color scheme and well-defined details on the head, especially the teeth. Price was $9.99, a steal for sure!

Quen

Quote from: Paleona on August 02, 2015, 02:12:24 PM
And thanks for posting pics of the Rex, Quendrega. :)  It's a beautiful model, despite the standing issues!  Definitely the best looking I've seen of the mass produced T.rexes- looks like the teeth and small details are painted pretty neatly, too, yeah?  Looks better than my poor 2011 WS Rex, with his sloppy teeth.  I only wish more care would be taken when painting the eyes- a lot of figures seem to suffer from "chameleon eyes", lol.

You're welcome! And the paint job looks really nice and neat for the most part. The only issues I saw on it was that the eyes aren't facing the same direction and the undersides of the claws are not painted.

Quote from: Takama on August 02, 2015, 07:04:33 AM

Is that a Toothpick your using?.    If so, i know what to use for support when i get this model

Yes, it is. It worked better than I thought it would.

Pachyrhinosaurus

It looks better than the promo pictures IMO with less white. Also a good choice, I think to have it balancing on its hand as opposed to the tail as it has a more active appearance (crouching over a carcass, perhaps?).
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Daspletodave

I have to say I'm a bit shocked by the news (and pics) that the new T-Rex and Acrocanthosaurus are worse off standing wise than the 1990's original MOS versions. This does not bode well for the Diplodocus re-release.
That said, I will definitely be getting these new Terra versions, and probably just keep them in their boxes.

And welcome back Dan LoRusso!

tyrantqueen

Shame they didn't fix the sagging issue, but it's great they've been rereleased.

terrorchicken

I love its feet. Its got sexy feet.  :))

Tyrannosauron

Disappointing day to follow yesterday's excitement. I drove to the Target where the saleswoman had told me about the aisle reset, but found the situation entirely unchanged from last week: six Dacentruses and two Crylophosauruses. As far as I can tell the aisle had been untouched. It was the same deal at another Target 15 miles away. Seems like I got some bad info. Anyone else have better luck?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: