You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don B.

For those that have them, is the problem with the new T-Rex and Acro one of the legs just being too soft or are the overbalanced to the front. If it is the first, could stiff wires be inserted (such as clothes' hanger pieces) to stiffen the legs to support the toy while standing?

Shuvuuia

Honestly, it seems to be a little of both. My rex falls forward because the toes are so rubbery, but it's so front heavy that I doubt that's the only thing preventing it from standing.

ItsTwentyBelow

The Acrocanthosaurus definitely suffers from being very front-heavy, coupled with the fact that for this release, Battat just went with the tripod stance for it. The right manus was indeed tied to the floor of the box, same level as the feet, and the feet definitely seem to have been molded into more of a position that lets them sit flat in this tripod stance, pretty much keeping this guy front-heavy. The feet flex a lot, for sure, but they go right back to the position they were molded in when you let go.

I'm sad the T.rex sounds like it flops right over. At least Battat re-made the Acro into a tripod with a believable pose that will stand up. Rex sounds like it will inevitably need some support unless you want to display it on its face. Still getting it. I agree with everyone who says it is one of the best rexes out there in this price range.

Daspletodave

For the record, here is how they should look:

My Battat T-Rex and Acro stand on their own feet without their tails or arms having to touch the ground.
The T-Rex  is made of a hard plastic while the Acro is a slightly softer plastic. It's a shame the new figures did not use the same type of plastic.

dinosaurdungeon

Battat called me back today, and it's a no go for Canada as of now. that sucks. So I guess I'm taking a trip to Buffalo to pick some up. I think I will buy some extras and eBay them for people in Canada who want them.

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Takama

Ok I went to the Same Target as the last time, with the Website saying that it had them.     Apparently, the target had them, but the employees have no idea where there at :-\, They told me that the Terra Endcap would not be reseted until Wednesday, and hopefully, they would get the New ones, on the shelf.   

Pachyrhinosaurus

Yes my local Target had them but said they didn't for whatever reason. It was funny, too, since I was told by both that the other Target had them and yet the location I called didn't. Thanks for the information, Takama. I know when to call again.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Simon

If your version 1 Battat Acro stood on its own fine it must have been the only one ever made that did!   ;D

Yes, it was of a harder plastic but the feet would always be bent inwards (same problem that the Rebor Ceratosaurus suffers from).  The only way mine stood was through the magic of customization (strategic half cuts in ankles, filled with epoxy in correct orientation, re-paint) ... *LOL*

Which was an easier fix than dealing with ankles so soft that it can never stand on its own....seems like they chose the cheapest option so as to maximize the profit ... or is it just carelessness, like the first time around.... no matter, people will buy them anyhow because they are Battats, or because they're cheap and pretty (the case with most buyers who are non-collectors ...)

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Simon on August 04, 2015, 08:56:30 AM
If your version 1 Battat Acro stood on its own fine it must have been the only one ever made that did!   ;D

Yes, it was of a harder plastic but the feet would always be bent inwards (same problem that the Rebor Ceratosaurus suffers from).  The only way mine stood was through the magic of customization (strategic half cuts in ankles, filled with epoxy in correct orientation, re-paint) ... *LOL*

Which was an easier fix than dealing with ankles so soft that it can never stand on its own....seems like they chose the cheapest option so as to maximize the profit ... or is it just carelessness, like the first time around.... no matter, people will buy them anyhow because they are Battats, or because they're cheap and pretty (the case with most buyers who are non-collectors ...)

My v1 Acro stands on its own, too. 8)

But I am having trouble with some of the new theropods' ankles. They're soft as chewing gum (pre-chewed, mind you. ;)).

Invicta Hunter

I really hope the Diplo will be made of harder plastic.
I wouldn't want that thing falling over on to my other figures.

Gwangi

This is borderline tragic. Wait this long for Battat re-releases and they half-ass it? One the one hand yes, I'm certainly glad they back but on the other this seems like something that could have been easily avoided. Did they even test out the stability of their product? Doesn't sound like it, that or they just didn't care. Hopefully they'll realize their mistake and use a stiffer material in later batches. One can only hope.

suspsy

I was thinking the same thing, Gwangi. Perhaps it's safer for folks to hold back and wait for a future batch. Is there any way to determine the plastic quality while the toys are still in their packaging?

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: suspsy on August 04, 2015, 02:55:30 PM
I was thinking the same thing, Gwangi. Perhaps it's safer for folks to hold back and wait for a future batch. Is there any way to determine the plastic quality while the toys are still in their packaging?

Probably not by looking (unless the packaging makes references to batch numbers somewhere in the product info), but you can definitely feel how rubbery the plastic is while the figure is in the packaging by bending the forelimbs or a toe or something.

Shuvuuia

You can reach into the box and test how pliable the toes are since there is no plastic shrink wrap. It should be obvious if the toes bend like taffy that the ankles will too. I'd be very happy with reissued versions with tougher material.

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: Shuvuuia on August 03, 2015, 01:02:27 PM
Honestly, it seems to be a little of both. My rex falls forward because the toes are so rubbery, but it's so front heavy that I doubt that's the only thing preventing it from standing.

The Rex also has a problem with the bend of the tail. Since they gave the tail a sharp downward bend in order to fit the figure in the package, the tip of the tail will jam into the ground and push the figure forward a bit. So even if the strength of the plastic in the legs were fixed that would still be a balancing problem.

Gwangi

I'm actually considering not getting these, and that makes me really sad. I probably still will. At worse they'll just re-make them with a new material and I'll be out $9.99 and who knows, they might actually be worth something some day. On the other hand even if they never release them with a stiffer material, I still want the Battat collection and I'll never get it cheaper.

I hope this flaws only apply to the Tyrannosaurus and Acro and not the Amarga, Carno and Ceratosaurus. Anyone know?

Shuvuuia

If no one has a chance beforehand, I can swing by target tonight and check.

suspsy

Worse comes to worse, perhaps one could go to the local hobby store and forge bases for the Acro and the Rex.

At least the Triceratops won't suffer from stability issues. Be pretty horrifying if it did!

DinoLord

Quote from: suspsy on August 04, 2015, 06:08:27 PMAt least the Triceratops won't suffer from stability issues. Be pretty horrifying if it did!

Quadripeds do definitely have the upper hand in that regard. I will mention though that some of the more well-loved original Battat Amargasaurus do have a bit of trouble standing due to the relative flexibility of the plastic combined with the narrow width.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: