You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Re-issue of Battat former Museum of Science Boston Series

Started by loru1588, August 21, 2014, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

CAn the model use its tail as a support?    I imagine that's why they curl downwards. Either way, there a lot more convincing then the Carnegie models ever were(No offense to those who love that collection)

Shuvuuia

I imagine the tail was curled downward to aid the rex in balancing, but the model is so front heavy that it falls forward too far for the tail to reach the ground and support. For the time being, the neck of my Battat Pachyrhinosaurus will have to do as a place for the head to rest (I'll swap it out with the Triceratops when that model is released!).

Also, what is the deal with your rex being 9.99? My Target had three spots on the shelf for Battat dinosaurs. 13.99 "Large Dinosaur" (T. rex and Acro one behind the other), 7.99 "Small Dinosaur (Carno and Amargo one behind the other), and 5.99 "Small Dinosaur clearance" (Pachyrhinosaurus only). There wasn't even a 9.99 option.

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: Shuvuuia on August 01, 2015, 12:30:25 AM
Also, what is the deal with your rex being 9.99? My Target had three spots on the shelf for Battat dinosaurs. 13.99 "Large Dinosaur" (T. rex and Acro one behind the other), 7.99 "Small Dinosaur (Carno and Amargo one behind the other), and 5.99 "Small Dinosaur clearance" (Pachyrhinosaurus only). There wasn't even a 9.99 option.

That's probably a function of regional pricing. Stores in areas with higher property values tend to charge more for the same products. In New York City, for example, Targets within the five boroughs routinely charge at least $1 more per item than Targets on Long Island or in Westchester. I'll admit that this is a much greater variation in pricing, though.

If you run the "Large Dinosaur" DCPI through Brickfinder.com then you should be able to find the nearest stores that are charging the lower price.

Quen

Okay, so my Tyrannosaurus has stability issues, too. Though, I'm not entirely sure it's not due to being left in a hot car. It stands up for a few minutes but keeps falling forward because the toes are too bendy, even after it sat on an air conditioning vent for an hour and was cold to the touch when I took it out of the box. It seems to be made of a more bendable plastic than last year's Terra releases (at least the ones I have), and it is more similar to the plastic of the original MOS dinosaurs (though perhaps a bit less bendy than my Diplodocus).

Also, my Tyrannosaurus wasn't even on the shelf, yet. It just rang up at $9.99. I was totally expecting it to be $13.99.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Quendrega on August 01, 2015, 01:18:25 AM
Okay, so my Tyrannosaurus has stability issues, too. Though, I'm not entirely sure it's not due to being left in a hot car. It stands up for a few minutes but keeps falling forward because the toes are too bendy, even after it sat on an air conditioning vent for an hour and was cold to the touch when I took it out of the box. It seems to be made of a more bendable plastic than last year's Terra releases (at least the ones I have), and it is more similar to the plastic of the original MOS dinosaurs (though perhaps a bit less bendy than my Diplodocus).
That's unfortunate. You'd think they'd have figured that one out.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

loru1588

Out of the hospital finally and healthy enough to get to the computer for a short period of time!  As for the re-releases, Batat did not want me to retool anything , YET. So, no feathered Gallimimus or Utahraptor, no repositioned nostrils for sauropds, no changes on the Stegosaurus. For those od you who didn't get my explanation about the Stegosaurus on the Toy Blog Review, I will repeat. When I was sculpting the Stegosaurus, Ken Carpenter was describing a "new" Stegosaurus he and his crew were digging up. It had 8 spikes on the tail and shorter plates than stenops. A few years after the sculpt was out, it was discovered that TWO Stegosaurus were buried on top of each other accounting for the original thought of 8 spikes on a single individual.

Halichoeres

So glad to see you back! Hope your health continues to improve.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

As I said on Facebook, it's heartening and relieving to see you back online, Dan. And thanks for the explanation about the Stego.

Also, I know I've been harping on this, but can you say when those brand new Battat sculpts will be released?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Simon

Welcome back Dan.  Its good to see you back online and to see your work starting to appear in stores again.  Do you know whether Battat plans to definitely release the rest of the MOS line, including the Diplodocus?  The new Terra website only shows 8 of the old MOS models...

loru1588

Quote from: suspsy on August 01, 2015, 05:07:27 PM
As I said on Facebook, it's heartening and relieving to see you back online, Dan. And thanks for the explanation about the Stego.

Also, I know I've been harping on this, but can you say when those brand new Battat sculpts will be released?

Thanks for the kind words!

As for the release of the new sculpts, unfortunately I have no idea.

loru1588

Quote from: Simon on August 01, 2015, 05:28:26 PM
Welcome back Dan.  Its good to see you back online and to see your work starting to appear in stores again.  Do you know whether Battat plans to definitely release the rest of the MOS line, including the Diplodocus?  The new Terra website only shows 8 of the old MOS models...

I believe eventually the entire MOS will be re-released.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: loru1588 on August 01, 2015, 04:35:22 PM
Out of the hospital finally and healthy enough to get to the computer for a short period of time!  As for the re-releases, Batat did not want me to retool anything , YET. So, no feathered Gallimimus or Utahraptor, no repositioned nostrils for sauropds, no changes on the Stegosaurus. For those od you who didn't get my explanation about the Stegosaurus on the Toy Blog Review, I will repeat. When I was sculpting the Stegosaurus, Ken Carpenter was describing a "new" Stegosaurus he and his crew were digging up. It had 8 spikes on the tail and shorter plates than stenops. A few years after the sculpt was out, it was discovered that TWO Stegosaurus were buried on top of each other accounting for the original thought of 8 spikes on a single individual.

Cool. I think that story adds to the piece as it is myself..would have been great if they included it with the figure.

suspsy

Quote from: loru1588 on August 01, 2015, 05:29:10 PM
Quote from: suspsy on August 01, 2015, 05:07:27 PM

Thanks for the kind words!

As for the release of the new sculpts, unfortunately I have no idea.

Darn. Thanks anyway. I hope they get released soon as well. I think they look like your best work yet.

Gwangi

Great to hear from you Dan, I was a little concerned by your absence. Your explanation for the Stegosaurus makes it worth having just for that reason!

Pachyrhinosaurus

It's good to see you back and that things are improving for you now! Since your stegosaurus was not changed it gives me a good reason to go after your 1:35 resin one once I'm finished with my current projects.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Quen

Welcome back Dan!

Here are the pictures of the Tyrannosaurus (with him leaning on a variety of different objects). My apologies to suspsy, I only have one other Tyrannosaurus figure at the moment. I also apologize for the graininess of the photos.

Here he is with my other MOS dinos:

And here he is taking a bite out of an unsuspecting herbivore:

Selfie:

Edit: Photos changed because of the Photobucket Menace.

suspsy

That one comparison pic with the PRTR is fine, thanks.

Hate to say it, but even though T. rex is my all-time favourite dinosaur, I don't know if I would get this one. Stability is a major deciding factor for me. But we'll see. My soon-to-be-wife and I will be driving down to Martha's Vineyard in September after our wedding and I may try to talk her into stopping at a Target if we pass one.

amargasaurus cazaui

I have to say the re-release of the Diplodocus has taken on some serious importance to my collecting in light of recent events....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Georassic

Simon

That's really odd about the TRex - of all of the version 2 Battat TRexes I owned at one time or another, I cannot recall a single one falling over forward. 

All of them balanced on two feet without the need for the tail to touch the ground.  In fact I would always customize the tail to lift it to a more horizontal position.

I wonder if they are using softer PVC this time around?  I guess I'll figure it out if I ever see one in the store and decide to buy it ....

As far as the paint job - it looks like a more subdued version of the original grey/green & yellow versions.  It looks better, but I would still have preferred a more natural look.  None-the-less it is still THE best PVC TRex in its class out there - really it has no competition until you get to the larger polystone statues ....

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: