You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Entering the field, we are REBOR! 1:35 scale Yutyrannus Huali museum class model

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, August 28, 2014, 11:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

A little late on chiming in on this topic Smashtoad, and you're doing at the risk of resurrecting a resolved issue. All I'll say is this, most of the largest animals around today are mammals. Mammals evolved from nocturnal creatures, typically with poor color vision. Dinosaurs were reptiles, reptiles are typically diurnal creatures with excellent color vision. Though they don't approach the size of the larger dinosaurs it is from modern reptiles and especially birds that you can glean the most information about how dinosaurs looked. Certainly not mammals.

Welcome to the site, I hope you have more to contribute in the future. Maybe start a thread to introduce yourself or share your collection.

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

tyrantqueen

Bucklander

Sorry to stir the embers just as the fire seems to have died down but I'd just like to make a couple of quick  comments. Firstly, my curiosity was piqued so I bought one of these and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The promo photo certainly doesn't do the figure justice. It is much more feathered than the photo suggests, though even so, still not as much as many (including myself) would have liked. But that aside, it is a beautifully crafted figure.

Second...  is it possible that the Liaoning Province 125 MYA underwent annual seasonal variation? If so, many dinosaur species would probably exhibit different amounts of plumage depending on the time of year. It is probable that feathered sp. would have a thick covering during the colder months which they would loose over the warmer season. Quite probably, if this was the case, the colour too would vary as the thickness did. I find it easy to imagine a heavy white plumage (like that on the new Safari) during winter (snowy?) months, being shed and replaced with a darker, sparser summer one. I mean birds moult, don't they?

One last thing. Everyone seems enamoured with the new Safari Yutyrannus. Not that what I am about to say will stop me buying one but, two things bother me about it. One is the stiff pose. It looks as if it's caught in a trucks headlights. The other is, it's too cute. It looks like something you'd want to snuggle up with on a chilly winter's evening. I see a lot of "monster" bashing on this forum. Perhaps the power we have to reduce these creatures to miniature figures, to sell and trade them and arrange them neatly (or otherwise) on our shelves, allows us to forget how terrifyingly monsterish they would have been in the flesh. Far from being cute, Yutyrannus would have been horrifying, and if you were unfortunate enough to have seen one in the flesh, it very probably would have been the very last thing you ever saw!

SBell

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: Bucklander on October 31, 2014, 01:06:07 AM
Sorry to stir the embers just as the fire seems to have died down but I'd just like to make a couple of quick  comments. Firstly, my curiosity was piqued so I bought one of these and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The promo photo certainly doesn't do the figure justice. It is much more feathered than the photo suggests, though even so, still not as much as many (including myself) would have liked. But that aside, it is a beautifully crafted figure.

Second...  is it possible that the Liaoning Province 125 MYA underwent annual seasonal variation? If so, many dinosaur species would probably exhibit different amounts of plumage depending on the time of year. It is probable that feathered sp. would have a thick covering during the colder months which they would loose over the warmer season. Quite probably, if this was the case, the colour too would vary as the thickness did. I find it easy to imagine a heavy white plumage (like that on the new Safari) during winter (snowy?) months, being shed and replaced with a darker, sparser summer one. I mean birds moult, don't they?

One last thing. Everyone seems enamoured with the new Safari Yutyrannus. Not that what I am about to say will stop me buying one but, two things bother me about it. One is the stiff pose. It looks as if it's caught in a trucks headlights. The other is, it's too cute. It looks like something you'd want to snuggle up with on a chilly winter's evening. I see a lot of "monster" bashing on this forum. Perhaps the power we have to reduce these creatures to miniature figures, to sell and trade them and arrange them neatly (or otherwise) on our shelves, allows us to forget how terrifyingly monsterish they would have been in the flesh. Far from being cute, Yutyrannus would have been horrifying, and if you were unfortunate enough to have seen one in the flesh, it very probably would have been the very last thing you ever saw!

I get what you are saying about the Safari model but the real animal could have actually looked sort of like that. Bears and tigers are pretty cute and cuddly looking too.  Doesn't make them any less deadly!

stargatedalek

owls are absolutely adorable
but having been involved in a few "incidents" during feedings I can say it does not matter how they look

Gwangi

Yeah, cute animals are only cute because our human brains perceive them that way. Bears are cute, but also terrifying if you ever confronted one. Just because Yutyrannus was a predator does not mean it wasn't cute. Songbirds are adorable but terrifying to the animals they prey upon.

And this will be the second time I've used this image here today.

On the subject of feathers. While birds do molt, and the colors of some change during the seasons I don't think the density of feathers changes like hair does for mammals. Winter or summer, birds have the same number of feathers with the same density.

stargatedalek

When birds molt its to replace damaged feathers with new ones, or in rare cases with different coloured feathers
its not like when a mammal sheds to remove excess fur/hair, the feathers grow back the same size and density

Bucklander

I'll try to get some photos of it up soon.

I take your point about cuteness. I guess there is no reason Yutyrannus could not have looked like the upcoming Safari one. But I stand by my criticism of its stance. It looks very stiff to me. Though I must say, I have never seen a promo photo of anything by Safari that does the figure justice. I have always been pleasantly surprised when unpacking Safari figures, they look SO much better in the hand than they do in a photo.

The point about the feathers though...  I only mentioned birds because they are the last surviving dinosaurs. Many bird species have distinct breeding plumages don't they? So there is at least a possibility of seasonal change. As non avian dinosaurs evolved feathers (almost certainly) for insulation purposes, and then found other uses for them (display and flight) there is no reason to restrict their expression to an identical one for birds. Just because birds do not now vary in plumage thickness greatly throughout the year, it doesn't necessarily mean their ancestors, or their ancestors' relatives, didn't either. Of course I'm not saying they did. I'd be a fool to put forward such an idea as anything other than pure conjecture without proof. All I'm saying is it's an interesting thought. As I say, conjecture, sure, and maybe we shall never know. Then again, the history of science is riddled with arrogant assertions of necessarily unending ignorance. It was little over a century ago wasn't it, that we were told we would never know the chemical composition of stars? Only a decade ago, how many of us would have imagined knowing anything at all about the colouration of dinosaur feathers?

Gwangi

Yeah, the Safari model does look a bit static I suppose, I still love the sculpt though. Like you said, we need to see it in person before getting too critical. One thing to keep in mind when comparing the Safari Yutyrannus to the Rebor model is the obvious price difference and target demographic. The Rebor model is much more "high end", and the price reflects that. The Safari model is a toy. That said, the Safari model appears to succeed at making a more accurate model even if not as dynamic. I look forward to seeing your pictures of the Rebor model.

amanda

This is the thing with Rebor, though. They are still toy figures, with the plastic makeup and moving jaws, removable bases. High end....at that price we are reaching into areas where I can start to get resin models and such. Which is one reason I may not get their T-Rex. I suspect I can have a pick of different resins at the price I suspect it to be. I like the Safari Yutyrannus.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Takama on August 29, 2014, 12:14:17 AM
I knew some would criticize that it doesn't have enough feathers.   But I still think its a great piece. it looks like something Papo would make, only its more accurate.

I hope its in the $14-$30 range

The fossils show feathers on the underside of the body including the pubic boot, so I think any criticism if fair. And the skeleton on the box is a Carcharodontosaurus...

Edit: oops, my iPad must have glitches, didn't see there were already 8 pages, sorry to pile on!
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

postsaurischian

The whole discussion about REBOR's plagiarism is fiddle-faddle!
It might be some people's first impression because of the official retail pics.
Having both figures in my hands right now, I cannot see any plagiarism.
To orientate oneself towards the best (which is Papo when it comes to sculpting & skin textures in Dinosaur toys) isn't a bad decision - it's a wise one instead ;) and every good company does so. I remember even Safari reacting when Papo offered their first Dinosaurs.

I'm very glad I bought the Yutyrannus figure. It is one of the best toy Dinosaur sculpts that have been released in recent years.
Except for the jaw there are absolutely no seam lines visible. And I like the precious package and presentation :).

This is the natal hour of another great Dinosaur toy company and I can't wait to see what else REBOR will offer in the future.
I wish some more people would see it this way!

sauroid

Quote from: postsaurischian on November 04, 2014, 01:44:07 PM
This is the natal hour of another great Dinosaur toy company and I can't wait to see what else REBOR will offer in the future.
I wish some more people would see it this way!
i totally agree
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Pinkamena

I likey :) It is one I shall be trying to find, price dependent. Can I ask how much it was please postsaurischian?

Slowly running out of room...one toy at a time!

Invicta Wishlist (monochrome) - Plesiosaur, Mamenchisaurus, Dimetrodon, Muttaburrasaurus, Ichthyosaurm, Blue Whale 

postsaurischian

In Germany it's not cheap, unfortunately. I got it from MPV.
Regarding the overall quality it's clear it can't be cheap. Although you might find it for a better price in the U.K., where REBOR is based :-\.

Patrx

Those are some great details and I love the base. I do think REBOR has the potential to eventually make something I actually want to support. Maybe a sauropod? That would be tough to "monster-ize" too badly.

Alexxitator

Mine is actually on it's way from that same german site. I am pretty anxious to finally see it for real. Very soon I shall have 3 lovely figures of this guy. And what this guy may lack in accuracy it more than makes up in sculpting. The Kaiyodo offering the best of both in this. The Safari one may be accurate but a rather well fed example of the species :-)

I also believe Rebor can be a very competetive studio. And competition is a good thing.
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

postsaurischian

Quote from: Alexxitator on November 05, 2014, 02:27:02 PM
Mine is actually on it's way from that same german site. I am pretty anxious to finally see it for real. .......

You won't be disappointed. The unpacking alone is pure fun and makes the collectors' hearts leap for joy ;).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: