You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Entering the field, we are REBOR! 1:35 scale Yutyrannus Huali museum class model

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, August 28, 2014, 11:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: A.Garcia on August 30, 2014, 09:13:16 PM
I tend to agree with the more generous comments here. I can't help but wonder: if the model (minus 2 fingers) was presented as a new Papo Albertosaurus, what would the reception be like? So perhaps the context is having some influence. Of course I'd like a fuller covering for this species, but surely the scaly sculpting will work aesthetically for other dinosaurs from this brand (which I look forward to seeing). I, too, am afraid the cost will put it beyond my consideration, though the presentation with a stand adds to the "gift" market appeal.

Has anyone noticed the snout coloration seems inspired by this reconstruction by Andrey Atuchin?

Could be. They should have used the whole image to sculpt the critter and then color it.

Gwangi hit the nail on the head, if this had been another tyrannosaur..almost any other one it would have been much more acceptable. I think the resemblance to Papo might have still been an issue but a VERY small one. 

TSUMS

i think the figure looks great, it may not be incredibly accurate but it looks good...the funny thing is alot of the people that are bashing the figure will prob be buying it...   lol

stargatedalek

I won't be getting this one, but the company shows potential, if only they were a bit more modest with their advertising people wouldn't have been so critical

amanda

I don't think **modesty** is the point of advertising. :)

Hey, check out this car. It would've been better another way, sure, but it's not TOO terrible. Try it!

Hey, come have our food. We've never cooked before, and it may not hit the spot JUST right, but hey it's still pretty much food!!

Alexxitator

Having collected everything Papo-dino there is, I honestly admit grabbing both T-rex, my Allo Carno and Dilo and even my Spino for comparison.
I simply was hard pressed to believe any new starting studio would be able to create such a Papo like creature without copying source material from them.
Of course, looking hard enough, mirroring a stance, cutting and pasting a toe or finger and bending some necks and tails I would be able to get near enough, but in the end I can not come to any other conclusion that these guys made an original sculpt all by themselves.

So away with my resculpt theory!

What DO we have here then? Well a lot has been said about this model witch I can neither confirm or dismiss simply because my knowledge on the current state of reconstruction of this species lacks depth. Should it have more feathers scientifically? Maybe so.

In the end, what I see presented here, looks to me like a very desirable sculpt that would look very nice and in place inbetween my Papo carnivores.
The teets are kinda safe for children witch puts it more on the toy-side and less on the desktop model side.
If the price is right, it may just get to stand there.
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

amanda

The price is too steep for a pvc toy. McFarlane's dragon figures all came with nifty bases and such too, and never came to over 20 dollars. I know, figure in the packaging etc. And not a mass market toy. But still, out of my price range. I can get what, 4 of the new 6 Battat figures for the same, even not counting shipping.

postsaurischian

Concavenator

Quote from: amanda on September 02, 2014, 11:22:00 AM
The price is too steep for a pvc toy. McFarlane's dragon figures all came with nifty bases and such too, and never came to over 20 dollars. I know, figure in the packaging etc. And not a mass market toy. But still, out of my price range. I can get what, 4 of the new 6 Battat figures for the same, even not counting shipping.
True!I collected McFarlane's dragons,in fact I have quite a big collection lf those!I might post a pic someday

amanda

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 02, 2014, 11:31:47 AM
??? I must have missed something. Was there any price mentioned?

I believe so.  Like 40-60 -ish dollars?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Concavenator on September 02, 2014, 11:54:03 AM
True!I collected McFarlane's dragons,in fact I have quite a big collection lf those!I might post a pic someday

Same here. Had em' all once.  Always wanted McFarlane to do a dinosaur line.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 02, 2014, 06:11:05 PM

Yeah, but David Silva once sculpted for the McFarlane dragons right? And he has his own line of kits. So it sort of happened >:D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 02, 2014, 06:13:35 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on September 02, 2014, 06:11:05 PM

Yeah, but David Silva once sculpted for the McFarlane dragons right? And he has his own line of kits. So it sort of happened >:D

Sorta..heh

TSUMS

does anyone know where this figure will be available for purchase,and when .....

postsaurischian

Quote from: amanda on September 02, 2014, 02:34:52 PM

Dejankins says about $42. I must admit I could be tempted :-[ ;D ..... [running & hiding from all those rotten eggs thrown at me right now].

Dejankins also says that two more additional models are anticipated later this year, a T. rex and a Utahraptor, both also created in 1:35 scale.

http://www.dejankins.com/blog/

Takama

I think the reson its so expensive is the fact that the Base is Heavy and made of Polyresin, the same material that the Favorite Desktop models are made of.

Gwangi

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 03, 2014, 08:55:08 PM
Quote from: amanda on September 02, 2014, 02:34:52 PM

Dejankins says about $42. I must admit I could be tempted :-[ ;D ..... [running & hiding from all those rotten eggs thrown at me right now].

Dejankins also says that two more additional models are anticipated later this year, a T. rex and a Utahraptor, both also created in 1:35 scale.

http://www.dejankins.com/blog/

High hopes for the Tyrannosaurus but I really hope they don't drop the ball on giving the Utahraptor proper plumage.

Takama

Tell you the truth, I don't think they will get it right on the raptor.

I just hope there T.Rex is not another Jurassic Park Ripp off

Patrx

Yikes, I can't say I have high hopes for the Utahraptor. Even if they get the feathers right, which seems unlikely, what are the odds that the new material will be incorporated? It hasn't even been published yet, although images by Scott Hartman and Emily Willoughby show some interesting new proportions and jaw structure. It's just a bad time for Utahraptor reconstructions, they'll probably be obsolete soon. Which is a shame; we need a good figure of the animal and this won't be it.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Takama on September 03, 2014, 09:28:31 PM
Tell you the truth, I don't think they will get it right on the raptor.

Why not? People tend to be more "feather-tolerating" when it comes to smaller theropods :).

Quote from: Takama on September 03, 2014, 09:28:31 PM
I just hope there T.Rex is not another Jurassic Park Ripp off

Again ... why should it be?

tyrantqueen

I wish you luck on the new sculpts :) I hope that you won't be tempted to copy models by other companies. I'd rather see you do your own thing.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: