News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manatee

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 14, 2014, 03:49:14 PM
They are slowly retiring their old figures.

I can't see the image- which ones?

Blade-of-the-Moon

This brings up another of Safari's curious "quirks". They don't just retire old pieces.  The Edmontosaurus is pretty new and the Oviraptor was one of their best pieces I think..almost a statue more than a figure.  All I can say about the Apato set and Acro is " it's about time!" lol. 

DinoLord

Maybe the Edmontosaurus wasn't selling well?

CityRaptor

Could be. Wasn't there something about Hadrosaurs not selling well in general? And then there is the issue about this version being outdated.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

ignite444

Quote from: DinoLord on December 14, 2014, 04:30:38 PM
Maybe the Edmontosaurus wasn't selling well?

Kind of a shame, I like the model. Not so much the color scheme of it, but I like the rest of it.
My Latest Review: Rebor King T-Rex

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 14, 2014, 04:44:41 PM
Could be. Wasn't there something about Hadrosaurs not selling well in general? And then there is the issue about this version being outdated.

I don't think it's outdated enough to retire, I mean look at some of their other pieces that are sticking around.

Remember the Carnegie Styracosaurus? Still can't figure why it was dropped so soon after release.

stargatedalek

Honestly I don't see how the edmontosaurus is outdated, the crest is only known from one of several edmontosaurus species and since the figure is assigned to the genus level (I think?) I really don't think that makes it dated per-se ;)

Pachyrhinosaurus

Could it be the pose? I think many people prefer the gryposaurus which is in a more versatile pose, while the edmontosaurus looks like it is being charged by a tyrannosaur.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

triceratops83

Could this be any worse a seller than the Carnegie Parasaurolophus? It's still around.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

CityRaptor

Parasaurolophus seems to be the expection from the rule, probably due to having Stock Dinosaur status.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

triceratops83

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 14, 2014, 08:04:41 PM
Parasaurolophus seems to be the expection from the rule, probably due to having Stock Dinosaur status.

Yeah but there's plenty of better paras around. And they got rid of the corythosaurus, which is near the top of anyone's hadrosaur list.
EDIT - I may have to get that Maiasaura now, not fussed on it but will no doubt wish I had it once it is no longer available...
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 15, 2014, 04:59:06 AM

Yeah but there's plenty of better paras around. And they got rid of the corythosaurus, which is near the top of anyone's hadrosaur list.
EDIT - I may have to get that Maiasaura now, not fussed on it but will no doubt wish I had it once it is no longer available...

If it helps I've always liked that Maiasaura, the combo of it with nest makes a nice set.  I also liked the original one hunched over the nest.

triceratops83

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 15, 2014, 05:03:52 AM

If it helps I've always liked that Maiasaura, the combo of it with nest makes a nice set.  I also liked the original one hunched over the nest.

The only reason I haven't got it is because from the front she has a piggy nose :P

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 15, 2014, 05:06:20 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 15, 2014, 05:03:52 AM

The only reason I haven't got it is because from the front she has a piggy nose :P
The one hunched over the nest, is not a likely scenario and somewhat laughable. The weight of the animal would crush the eggs , in about any position that would afford the eggs any warmth. A more likely nest would be a hole covered with vegetation and monitored for temperature, so that it could be uncovered if the eggs became too warm.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

triceratops83

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 15, 2014, 05:10:23 AM
The one hunched over the nest, is not a likely scenario and somewhat laughable. The weight of the animal would crush the eggs , in about any position that would afford the eggs any warmth. A more likely nest would be a hole covered with vegetation and monitored for temperature, so that it could be uncovered if the eggs became too warm.

Maybe she was in denial about her weight?

Blade-of-the-Moon

She has to lay the eggs right? Or maybe she's protecting them from a predator? Her body position to me doesn't look like she's actually sitting on them in the nest, more perched over it. The art on the poster also looks like it as well.

The nostrils appear to painted a bit larger than they should be..at least on mine. Though the openings are large of the skull as well :

It has a big wide and flat bill..not sure if that's currently accurate or not.

amargasaurus cazaui

errr yes she had to lay the eggs, but they come out an opening further back...where the body mass isnt laying over them. Not sure what that would have to do with......as for protecting them from predators, sitting over a bunch of fragile eggs, so that if you move you crush them with your feet or body does not sound like a well thought out idea does it?Generally animals that rest over the eggs are small enough to place themseves over the egg to give warmth or are integumented in a way they can offer warmth. It just really does not work at any level and likely why it was retired
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 15, 2014, 07:57:57 AM
errr yes she had to lay the eggs, but they come out an opening further back...where the body mass isnt laying over them. Not sure what that would have to do with......as for protecting them from predators, sitting over a bunch of fragile eggs, so that if you move you crush them with your feet or body does not sound like a well thought out idea does it?Generally animals that rest over the eggs are small enough to place themseves over the egg to give warmth or are integumented in a way they can offer warmth. It just really does not work at any level and likely why it was retired

Toss a little imagination in there..she could just finished laying, she's is being protective, bracing herself on the outside of the nest..never said animals always do the sensible thing all the time right?

If nothing else it's a cool piece of history from a time period when that was thought logical.

Gwangi

I've always been a fan of that old model, just because it's so unique and retro. That said, I find nothing about her position on the nest to be sensible! I just enjoy the model.

triceratops83

If the figure wasn't on a nest, it'd still be a great resting pose. Always been a nice figure regardless.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: