News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Quote from: Gwangi on September 19, 2014, 12:35:57 AM

...The Kaiyodo sets are truly spectacular though, and worth seeking out. It frustrates me that the better models like Favorite and Kaiyodo are so hard to obtain. I get them if the chance presents itself. I'm never in a hurry to get the latest Carnegie, CollectA or Safari...I know I have plenty of time to obtain them.
That's one good thing about Safari Ltd.,they are so easy to get to (online that is).I wish Kaiyodo and Favorite were as well distributed but as they say,it is what it is. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Balaur

Archaeopteryx, Sauropelta, and Nasutoceratos are by far my favourites out of these so far. The Yutyrannus is a little funky, something is kind of off about it. However, I love that we FINALLY have a theropod with a closed mouth. I think I'll pick it up though, it looks great.

Now. Carnegie. Carnegie, carnegie, carnegie.... If it wasn't disappointing enough that we knew what was going to be released before hand (and that it's just one figure), where are the primaries? Despite that it looks much better than the past few figures, and I love the colours, but the pose is just, the same. Can we please have a non tripod stance, pretty please? I just might get it, but the lack of primary feathers is disturbing....

I do love all the figures however in their own ways, and I think it looks like another great year for Safari. The ceratopsian figure thing that started a while back is still going, and I really love that. I can't wait to see what else is in store!

amargasaurus cazaui

I will get these all , cept the babies set . I like the sculpts and think alot of work went into them. I also like the colorful look of the raptor. It is obvious Carnegie overruled Forest Rogers on not going the tripodal route once more. It was Forest who said she felt they had an answer for this problem.
  My only personnal issue with these models is again nothing offered from the more basal and less derived families of dinosaurs. Apparently the ceratopsians are popular choices, but essentially it is the same body plan, over and over with a different horn and frill design. (not referring to the sculpts there Doug, just basic anatomy) while that is a personnal preference, there are so many styles and kinds of basal dinosaur just being overlooked each year.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amanda

But, from a business and popularity point of view, the ceratopsians are hot, and seem to sell well. And for me personally, are the only sculpt I annually look forward to from Doug. I would ikely not buy any of the figures you are thinking of. Ceratopsians are the overwhelming bulk of my very small collection. I will say I am stoked for the Sauropelta though. I have the Kaiyodo one but have pined for a larger version, and it looks as if Safari will fill that need nicely (and cheaply).

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 19, 2014, 03:07:06 AM
nothing offered from the more basal and less derived families of dinosaurs. Apparently the ceratopsians are popular choices, but essentially it is the same body plan, over and over with a different horn and frill design. (not referring to the sculpts there Doug, just basic anatomy) while that is a personnal preference, there are so many styles and kinds of basal dinosaur just being overlooked each year.

I do agree, that while even though the more derived ceratopsids are some of my favorites, the line could do very well with psittacosaurus, plateosaurus, or herrerasaurus. None of these genera are particularly obscure, and many children know them.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: amanda on September 19, 2014, 03:14:18 AM
But, from a business and popularity point of view, the ceratopsians are hot, and seem to sell well. And for me personally, are the only sculpt I annually look forward to from Doug. I would ikely not buy any of the figures you are thinking of. Ceratopsians are the overwhelming bulk of my very small collection. I will say I am stoked for the Sauropelta though. I have the Kaiyodo one but have pined for a larger version, and it looks as if Safari will fill that need nicely (and cheaply).
Just strolling through some of the ideas presented for Dan LaRosso , you will notice a fair number of requests for some of the dinosaurs I keep advocating...Plateosaurus, and Herrarrasaurus, for instance were two very popular choices. A nice updated Protoceratops would still be a ceratopsian, but something that is unique and not common already. There are so many choices being ignored from this field that I doubt they would go unsold.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amanda

I'd like a modern psittacosaurus. But, it would have to be way out of the 1/40-ish scale to be of interest as a detailed figure. Not a problem, but it seems less likely these days. I am kind of waiting on the next wave of Battat Terra figures for a Plateosaurus.

amanda

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 19, 2014, 03:21:04 AM
Quote from: amanda on September 19, 2014, 03:14:18 AM
Just strolling through some of the ideas presented for Dan LaRosso , you will notice a fair number of requests for some of the dinosaurs I keep advocating...Plateosaurus, and Herrarrasaurus, for instance were two very popular choices. A nice updated Protoceratops would still be a ceratopsian, but something that is unique and not common already. There are so many choices being ignored from this field that I doubt they would go unsold.

The scale is why I do not think Dan would do Protoceratopds. Too small. Again, I'd welcome a nice detailed figure at a larger scale, but I do not see Carnegie/Safari doing those these days...

amargasaurus cazaui

And yet we have "archie" there at a much smaller size yet, right? Hard to follow the logic of the scale argument.

alexeratops

Velociraptor: Pretty good, I have to say. Colors seem possible! Wrists+arm feathers are kindof weird.
Archaeopteryx: Cool! Didn't we prove that it had those colors?
Sauropelta: Amazing! Will get this for sure!
Yutyrannus:Love it! Same as sauropelta.
Naustoceratops:Fun color scheme, most likely get this. ^-^
Over all, 97\100 (for the raptor wrist). :))
like a bantha!

A.Garcia

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 19, 2014, 12:06:46 AM
Just noticed the dates in the catalogue all give a month and 2014. Are these the release dates? If so, the figures are not strictly new for 2015, but new for 2014.

Those look like the release dates, with the "minimum order" and "shop online" written. I think Safari noted Christmas on their calendar. ;) However, for easy forum reference, I think the figures (Wild Safari, at least) are best considered "for" the new year, when they are more available.

Hermes888

How long did it take for the Carnegie Oviraptor to get the resculpt that added in the feathers? Maybe we should expect primaries to make it in with a resculpt?

amanda

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 19, 2014, 03:30:25 AM
And yet we have "archie" there at a much smaller size yet, right? Hard to follow the logic of the scale argument.

Fair point, totally missed that.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm honestly past really being concerned with coloration and pose..both are so easily altered anymore in most cases.

If the sculpts are well detailed I'd say their good. If they have have a neat pose or color it's really icing on the cake. ;)

John

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 19, 2014, 03:07:06 AM
... I also like the colorful look of the raptor. It is obvious Carnegie overruled Forest Rogers on not going the tripodal route once more. It was Forest who said she felt they had an answer for this problem.
I've never had any problem with the way the Carnegie line theropods are posed,but there is still something that may give those who are tired of the three-point stance a little bit of hope on this subject:
Forest Rogers mentioned there being an answer to the balance problem around last year.The newly revealed Velociraptor had been held over to the next year twice,meaning it had already been made for the most part for at least two years before the balance solution came up.So who knows,maybe if something like a new sculpt of Allosaurus or maybe a Ceratosaurus,Majungasaurus or whatever shows up in the line,maybe they will show what the solution they had in mind was. :)

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

DinoToyForum

The Velociraptor scale, if the measurements given are correct, is about 1:8

Doug Watson

Quote from: KeU on September 19, 2014, 12:50:27 AM
Can we see the originals? Are you allowed to post pictures of them here?

Not at this time, if and when I retire hopefully I'll get around to sharing images of my collection, not just the stuff I have done.

Chad

I do love safari's ceratopsians. I'm very pleased to see another one.

stargatedalek

Perhaps this balance solution is in reference to the archaeopteryx

Doug Watson

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 19, 2014, 06:53:01 PM
Perhaps this balance solution is in reference to the archaeopteryx

Thought I better clear this up, the Archaeopteryx is supposed to be resting on its tail and two feet. The photo makes it look otherwise. 

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: