News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saurian

beautiful head, eyes look amazing!
Soory,my English is poor

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 27, 2015, 08:45:21 PM
I dropped a like on your suggestion, I would have followed you but I only use my facebook on rare occasions. I really only have it so I can drop likes or comments on things people send me links to.

No problem, I have way to many friends as it is on there and I rarely check my "feed"at any rate.

I'd venture to say this Archeopteryx beats out Papo's in terms of accuracy and detail.

sauroid

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 28, 2015, 08:57:02 AM
I dropped a like on your suggestion, I would have followed you but I only use my facebook on rare occasions. I really only have it so I can drop likes or comments on things people send me links to.

No problem, I have way to many friends as it is on there and I rarely check my "feed"at any rate.

I'd venture to say this Archeopteryx beats out Papo's in terms of accuracy and detail.
i totally agree.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Alexxitator

Quote from: sauroid on January 28, 2015, 09:02:13 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 28, 2015, 08:57:02 AM

i totally agree.

Pity though that it's a (carefully weighing my words here) "aestetically somewhat displeasing figure" though.

Now this is what I'd call a pleasing figure:
To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

tyrantqueen

I think I would have liked it more if the mouth was closed, and maybe if the feathers were puffier and smoother. Having feathers stick closely to the body tends to create a "monster" look. Otherwise it's really good.

Also, maybe the Papo can work as a retro figure.

Concavenator

That Archaeopteryx is amazing.The only think I'm so fond of is the pose,but yeah,ut's awesome,obviously better than Papo's!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Had a thought..recall last year we had guessed maybe the Carnegie would be an Archeopteryx? I'm assuming that the release of this figure would mean the Carnegie line wouldn't get one..at least no time soon.  So the thought, if Safari releases a figure in their line, can we discount it from the Carnegie range..for awhile?

Patrx

Just got my Safari Archaeopteryx in today! It really is the best version I've seen in terms of accuracy, but the pose, as has been mentioned, leaves much to be desired. I was pleasantly surprised by the paint application, the orange is less cartoony than I'd feared and the eyes are very nice.

John

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 28, 2015, 06:13:19 PM
Had a thought..recall last year we had guessed maybe the Carnegie would be an Archeopteryx? I'm assuming that the release of this figure would mean the Carnegie line wouldn't get one..at least no time soon.  So the thought, if Safari releases a figure in their line, can we discount it from the Carnegie range..for awhile?
It does seem that the two lines avoid doing what the other comes up with recently for the most part,with few exeptions (Tyrannosaurus & Brachiosaurus). :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Concavenator

stargatedalek

Those eyes almost look like glass eyes...

Patrx

Quote from: Concavenator on January 28, 2015, 07:44:04 PM
Patrx please post some pics!

It's a busy week at work - but as soon as I have time, I'll put up some photos!

Concavenator

Quote from: Patrx on January 28, 2015, 08:09:30 PM

It's a busy week at work - but as soon as I have time, I'll put up some photos!
Great,thank you  ;)

Patrx

Overall, I'm very impressed! It's accurate, detailed, and well-painted. The subtle iridescence on the dorsal surface is really nice, not the kind of thing one normally sees in factory paintwork. As I noted earlier, the eyes are brilliant. On the negative side, I'm still not fond of the pose, particularly the tripod tail. Also, the claws ended up looking a little blobby, no doubt for safety reasons. I might have liked to see more details on the feet, but they are pretty small. If the ankles and feet are meant to be covered in reticula, they would indeed appear smooth at this scale. I wouldn't mind writing up a full review for this guy, but I'm still short on free time! Perhaps I'll get around to it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The claws are probably the only minor issue..the  iridescence is well done as the feather details.  The pose yeah it's a tri-pod..but it also couldn't stand unless there was a base. To me it looks to have just alighted on  branch or the ground.

tyrantqueen

I think I'll stick to the Kaiyodo.

suspsy

It's definitely more accurate than the Papo figure.

Does anyone have a source or reference for the maniraptor-style feet?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on January 29, 2015, 11:46:52 AM
It's definitely more accurate than the Papo figure.

Does anyone have a source or reference for the maniraptor-style feet?

I based that on Mayr, G; Pohl, B; Peters, DS. (2005). "A well-preserved Archaeopteryx specimen with theropod features". Science 310 (5753): 1483–1486.
Colouring was also based on several recent studies.

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Doug Watson

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: