News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2015

Started by Ikessauro, September 18, 2014, 05:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

It's simply gorgeous!The best Archie ever.

Alexxitator

To kill an error is as good a service as, and sometimes even better than, the establishing of a new truth or fact.
-Charles Darwin-

Patrx

The Kaiyodo is lovely, to be sure. It's a much nicer pose, benefited by the use of a base (then again, I think all bipedal figures ought to use bases). The Safari model has the advantage of modern research, however.

One thing I've been puzzling over, though, is whether the new model was designed under the impression that Archaeopteryx's body feathers were simple branching filaments as suggested by Christensen & Bonde (2004). More recently, Mark Witton has stated that "...recent research suggests that the apparent filamentous nature of the contour feathers in many fossils is probably a taphonomic artifact, so it's entirely possible Archie had pennaceous body and head feathers". The feathers on the back of the Safari Archaeopteryx are pennaceous, but those on the neck and head seem to be simpler. Perhaps it was meant as a sort of "middle of the road" integument? As far as I can tell, it's a perfectly plausible one.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Could be. They differentiate nicely from one another over the body, many feather types and all that.  I wonder if the same person who does their other avian replicas did this one or is Doug doing all the prehistoric for WS now? If so it would be easy enough to ask him.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 29, 2015, 07:17:07 PM
Could be. They differentiate nicely from one another over the body, many feather types and all that.  I wonder if the same person who does their other avian replicas did this one or is Doug doing all the prehistoric for WS now? If so it would be easy enough to ask him.
Doug made a few comments earlier in the thread that indicated clearly this is his sculpt....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Patrx

I'd assumed it was Doug's from the outset, based on the style. The feathers and feet are very reminiscent of his Gastornis  :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Okay, he's around and about now, I'd just ask him. :)

Takama

Patrix I posted these photos on STS. Is that fine with you?

Doug Watson

Quote from: Patrx on January 29, 2015, 07:08:55 PM
One thing I've been puzzling over, though, is whether the new model was designed under the impression that Archaeopteryx's body feathers were simple branching filaments as suggested by Christensen & Bonde (2004). More recently, Mark Witton has stated that "...recent research suggests that the apparent filamentous nature of the contour feathers in many fossils is probably a taphonomic artifact, so it's entirely possible Archie had pennaceous body and head feathers". The feathers on the back of the Safari Archaeopteryx are pennaceous, but those on the neck and head seem to be simpler. Perhaps it was meant as a sort of "middle of the road" integument? As far as I can tell, it's a perfectly plausible one.

I actually did most of the work on this in 2012 so I had to go back and check but for the shape and type of plumage I used Christensen, P; Bonde, N. (2004). "Body plumage in Archaeopteryx: a review, and new evidence from the Berlin specimen". Comptes Rendus Palevol 3 (2): 99–118. and N. Longrich (2006): Structure and function of hindlimb feathers in Archaeopteryx lithographica. Paleobiology. 32 (3): 417–431. I was unaware of Witton's comments on his blog. For the neck and underside of the body I did aim for a transitional form somewhere between a proto feather and the sharper feathering found on eagles but I confess it's a little hard to show all the details at that scale.

suspsy

Quote from: Doug Watson on January 29, 2015, 03:01:48 PM
Quote from: suspsy on January 29, 2015, 02:53:30 PM
Merci beaucoup!

Mon plaisir, et ma femme est française aussi!

Vraiment? Aime-t-elle Roch Voisine? ;)

Moi, je ne suis pas francophone, mais je parle francais. Il est necessaire si vous habitez a Ottawa.

Je pense que l'Archaeopteryx sera tres bon. Bravo!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Patrx

Thanks for the info, Doug! I'd not heard about the second paper you cited. I think the overall effect is very nice. Often, when a model features multiple feather types, they do not blend well - but that does not seem to be the case here.

Quote from: Takama on January 30, 2015, 02:28:37 AM

Patrix I posted these photos on STS. Is that fine with you?

Sure :)

A.Garcia

This looks like an attractive and believable model. Its expression is lively and the color pattern is interesting (both are affected by the paint application, which happily looks good here). I appreciate the apparent care put into the tail shape and feathering. The iridescence is a great unexpected touch- the Safari Ltd Raven could benefit from a subtle application of this.

When I was little I got a small brown & white decorative/floral pheasant as an Archaeopteryx stand-in. This may finally be its successor!  :D

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Albertosaurus

I never post in the forum that much but I follow you guys. I have always seen the dinosaur figures as...well...crappy looking figures. Lack of detail, bad paint job, rounded pointy parts....but for some reason I just felt the need to buy some Wild Safari figures this time after seeing the Nasutoceratops. Bought the Pachy and the Diabloceratops...and I want to say that they are amazing. Seriously, Doug Watson, I am really impressed with your work. The detail is amazing (considering the many limitations), the paint job,well,it is quite poor, but focusing on the sculpts,they are awesome. The pose of the Diabloceratops has so much personality, shows so much grace in the movement...I love both of them. Waiting for everythingdinosaurs to have the nasutoceratops in stock so I can buy that one as well. I probably should send it to Martin Garratt for a proper paintjob.

Doug Watson

Quote from: suspsy on January 30, 2015, 08:04:14 PM
Vraiment? Aime-t-elle Roch Voisine? ;)

Moi, je ne suis pas francophone, mais je parle francais. Il est necessaire si vous habitez a Ottawa.

Je pense que l'Archaeopteryx sera tres bon. Bravo!

Oui c'est vrai. Non Mario Pelchat et Celine Dion.
Moi aussi mais pas couramment. Or you can do like me and marry a French Canadian ;)
Merci

Doug Watson

Quote from: Patrx on January 30, 2015, 09:43:32 PM
Thanks for the info, Doug! I'd not heard about the second paper you cited. I think the overall effect is very nice. Often, when a model features multiple feather types, they do not blend well - but that does not seem to be the case here.

You are welcome and thanks.

mpchi

Just caught the local store restocking the Safari's, so got the chance to check out the new releases. Out of them all, Saurodpelta is the winner for me, and the only one I picked up. Nice scaly details all over the body, with a very nice sculpt. The paint job is sloppy (one of the three there has only one eye  :o), but this one can look really good with just some minor touch up. The color is not as bright yellow as promo pics shown. Its a duller, more desaturated dirty orange brown(which I like), with dark grey wash. Looks more natural, less vibrant.

The other ones also suffer the sloppy paint issue (some worse, Yutyrannus especially, look much worse than promo pics losing all the subtleties). Nasutoceratops has a very good sculpt, with more defined scales and folds than last year's Pachyrhinosaurus. But I don't like how it was painted, as if someone randomly spray painted a grey dino with some gold spray can. But if you are not too picky like I am, they are still worth picking up.

Everything_Dinosaur

Now in stock at Everything Dinosaur, the five new prehistoric animal figures from Safari Ltd.

Namely, the 1:10 scale feathered Velociraptor and the Wild Safari Dinos Archaeopteryx, Yutyrannus, Sauropelta and the Nasutoceratops.

You can find them here: New Safari Ltd models in stock at Everything Dinsoaur

Albertosaurus

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on February 08, 2015, 10:30:15 AM
Now in stock at Everything Dinosaur, the five new prehistoric animal figures from Safari Ltd.

Namely, the 1:10 scale feathered Velociraptor and the Wild Safari Dinos Archaeopteryx, Yutyrannus, Sauropelta and the Nasutoceratops.

Great! Time to place an order! Though I am still wondering if I should buy the Sauropelta....I would like to see some review first

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Albertosaurus on February 08, 2015, 11:58:18 AM
Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on February 08, 2015, 10:30:15 AM

Great! Time to place an order! Though I am still wondering if I should buy the Sauropelta....I would like to see some review first
Consider this a review...one of the nicest dinosaur figures released this year PERIOD. Get one...or three. It is stunning..nuff said.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: