News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

C:-) After deliberation, the moderators have decided to ban Stargatedalek and Simon for two weeks for breaking the following forum rules: 1. No intentional personal attacks, rudeness, or personal provocation", 4. "Respect designated topic areas...", 6. "Excessive off-topic or pointless posts are not allowed" and 7. "Topics concerning politics and religion are discouraged".

C:-) We have also decided to ban Syndicate Bias for two weeks for breaking forum rule 1. "No intentional personal attacks, rudeness, or personal provocation".

C:-) Since sharing PMs is not a breach of the forum rules (or the forum registration agreement), the act of sharing a PM, and the contents of that PM, were deemed inadmissible and did not factor into the above decisions. At the moment, sharing PMs is down to the judgement of individual members. However, we are reviewing whether a new rule could or should be introduced on this matter.

C:-) I'm reopening this topic for continued discussion about knock off dinosaur figures. It should go without saying that anyone who strays from that topic will face consequences. In other words, no politics, and don't break any forum rules.

C:-) This message is for information only. Please do not respond to this message. Thanks!

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DinoToyForum

I explained my position on bootlegs and knock-offs in this thread back in 2014.

Since then, there do seem to be more knock-off products on Amazon and Ebay, as well as in stores. The problem seems to be growing, although I don't know if there is data to back that up.

I was dismayed to find knock-off products being sold in the museum where I work. We also had authentic originals by Safari Ltd, Papo, and PNSO (my influence). In some cases both the original and the knocked-off version of it were both being sold! I raised it with the retail team. They had no idea. An additional problem is that the knock-offs often come with fancy packaging, as in the video Cityraptor posted above, which gives punters the illusion of quality or value for money. In my museum, I also overheard lots of comments along the lines of "How much!?" for the authentics, which were three times the price of the knock-offs. Nevertheless, both the authentics and bootlegs sold out.

Noiselessx

Hello fellas,
Since I discovered Papo I started collecting dino's again and I also discovered this magical place. However, I have a rather interesting question that I would like to ask those who have more experience than me.
My question is wether some Chinese's brands such as https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lamwin-Jurassic-World-Park-Red-Imperial-Tyrannosaurus-Rex-Dinosaur-Action-figure-Giganotosaurus-Seismosaurus-Dinosaur-Model-Toys/32829687496.html?spm=2114.search0204.3.200.782735e86b6p1E&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_5_5722916_10152_10151_10065_10344_10068_5722816_10342_10343_10340_10341_10698_10697_10696_5722616_10084_10083_10618_10304_10307_10302_5722716_5723016_10059_10534_308_100031_10103_441_10624_5722516_10623_10622_10621_10620,searchweb201603_25,ppcSwitch_3_ppcChannel&algo_expid=7705e9be-1b47-4e61-8ec0-7c85f44ec94e-26&algo_pvid=7705e9be-1b47-4e61-8ec0-7c85f44ec94e&priceBeautifyAB=0 this are worth buying, compared to the original brands.
I am asking this question, because I live in Bulgaria and here we only have Papo and Schleich. If I want to get a Rebor figure for example, it would cost over a 100 dollars, which is way out of my range for a figure.
I am a dino geek who rediscovered his passion for collecting figures yet again.

DinoToyForum

Noiselessx

Whops, I couldn't see this topic, sorry for that :D

Halichoeres

@noiselessx: Are they $100 even from Urzeitshop? https://www.urzeitshop.de/gb/85-rebor

I assumed that shipping within the European Union was relatively affordable. If you read through this thread you'll find lots of arguments against buying knockoffs. Personally I think it is best to avoid supporting that kind of unscrupulous activity, and in any event the knockoffs tend to be lower quality.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

IrritatorRaji

Was skimming across images on an Ebay listing for a knockoff that caught my attention when I came across this pic...

Never leg colour, guys

Noiselessx

Yes, the English level of the knockoff "brands" is pretty interesting :D

IrritatorRaji

Came across this utterly bizarre knockoff on Amazon, seems to be a cross of the Papo Running Rex and the Rebor Yutyrannus

The other knockoffs from the same seller are equally as ugly though

And I saved the best for last

Ravonium

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on April 10, 2018, 06:59:10 PM

Spoiler

[close]

...And the 2 Awesomebros merge together into an unstoppable force...

Archosauria

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on April 10, 2018, 05:39:43 PM
Was skimming across images on an Ebay listing for a knockoff that caught my attention when I came across this pic...

Never leg colour, guys

I only buy products from companies that leg color.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Archosauria

I get ads for Papo and Schleich knockoffs from eBay pretty often on this forum. It's pretty amusing.
It's usually pretty easy to tell the difference between a knock off and an authentic piece, but I have been bamboozled before in the past.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Ravonium

QuoteI only buy products from companies that leg color.

Leg color is one of the most infamous scams in the collecting community, and I can't believe you would fall for it  ;D

Buy your figures in foot color instead  8)

Archosauria

Quote from: Ravonium on April 10, 2018, 09:35:32 PM

Leg color is one of the most infamous scams in the collecting community, and I can't believe you would fall for it  ;D

Oh man, my whole life as a collector has been a lie  ;D

-Steve Miller

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Archosauria on April 10, 2018, 09:42:07 PM

You two have fun livin' in the stone age, meanwhile, I'll just sit back and enjoy all my arm colour figures  8)

Archosauria

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on April 10, 2018, 10:51:52 PM

You two have fun livin' in the stone age, meanwhile, I'll just sit back and enjoy all my arm colour figures  8)
How do you have enough money to enjoy such luxuries?!

-Steve Miller

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Archosauria on April 10, 2018, 09:35:06 PM
I get ads for Papo and Schleich knockoffs from eBay pretty often on this forum. It's pretty amusing.
It's usually pretty easy to tell the difference between a knock off and an authentic piece, but I have been bamboozled before in the past.

Yeah, I've seen those, and I dislike them. I don't select the items that appear in the ads, they are generated by keywords. I'll see if I can work out how to exclude knock-offs.

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Archosauria on April 10, 2018, 11:00:41 PM

How do you have enough money to enjoy such luxuries?!

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Ravonium

Listen here you uninformed hoarder. Arm colour, as you should know already, can only be produced using lead-based paint  >:(

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: