News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizerd

Yep... but this suddenly feels off topic and maybe a tad pessimistic  :))
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

tyrantqueen

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on August 30, 2018, 09:30:29 PM
Quote from: Lizerd on August 30, 2018, 09:22:57 PM
Someone should stop them

I mean, while it's morally wrong I don't think it's illegal to do this most Asian countries (particularly not in Japan and China as most knockoffs seem to come from there). Also, while it is disrespectful to the artist to sell bootlegs of their work, it does at the very least give people a chance to sort-of own that product for a cheaper price. Not saying I agree with bootlegging, just saying that I can understand it from a buyers point of view.

Actually it's unusual to find knockoffs produced in Japan. If you're looking for authentic out of production model kits (particularly anime ones) your first port of call is the Japanese site JAUCE because that's where the real stuff is found. Some people use eBay too, but if the seller is Chinese you need to be suspicious because it's probably a fake.

Sometimes you can find sellers on Japanese sites selling bootlegs (such as the Shinzen kit discussed earlier), but I believe they weren't produced in Japan. They most likely are Chinese or Thai sellers, or have been imported from those countries.

Source: my own experience as a purchaser and builder of model kits.

Lizerd

avatar_tyrantqueen @tyrantqueen seems legit, most things come from china. How many of these models are floating around?
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/

IrritatorRaji

While perusing Ebay for dinosaur lots I came across the cheapest knock offs I've even seen. Are they not even trying anymore?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lot-12Pcs-Plastic-Dinosaur-Assorted-Figures-Park-Play-Prehistoric-Toy-Set/202421033793?hash=item2f213bdb41:g:JA8AAOSwzyBbiOpc

Loving the "Acrocanthosaurus"

Also, someone posted this in a Facebook group I'm in. Errr... 2019 leak? I mean, their Rex's are getting bigger and bigger....

Ravonium

Quote from: Lizerd on August 31, 2018, 02:24:15 PM
avatar_tyrantqueen @tyrantqueen seems legit, most things come from china. How many of these models are floating around?

There's probably too many bootlegs of this nature around to reliably count  :-X

Lizerd

terrorchicken

it boggles my mind when I go to Ali Express and see all the knock-offs. And not just dinosaur toys... Barbie, Disney, Pony, Super Heroes...wow, what an industry! :o :o

Lizerd

I dunno about you but knock offs seem profitable  >:D maybe that is why it is done?

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Lizerd on September 03, 2018, 09:17:12 PM
I dunno about you but knock offs seem profitable  >:D maybe that is why it is done?

Of course it's profitable. Figures are remade with the cheapest methods, materials, and paints but are priced similarly, if not a little cheaper, to the real thing. Profit is what makes the would go 'round, and I suppose not all knock offs are created out of malice (though you do get those ones that are made with such little care that they're actually toxic).

Unknowing or non-caring customers see these cheap toys are think that they are just getting a dinosaur toy at a good price. There was a thread made a short while ago talking about why children are often given outdated dinosaur toys and a recurring point brought up was price and how parents are likely to just go for whatever is cheapest to keep their child happy.

Lizerd

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on September 03, 2018, 09:27:02 PM
Quote from: Lizerd on September 03, 2018, 09:17:12 PM

Of course it's profitable. Figures are remade with the cheapest methods, materials, and paints but are priced similarly, if not a little cheaper, to the real thing. Profit is what makes the would go 'round, and I suppose not all knock offs are created out of malice (though you do get those ones that are made with such little care that they're actually toxic).

Unknowing or non-caring customers see these cheap toys are think that they are just getting a dinosaur toy at a good price. There was a thread made a short while ago talking about why children are often given outdated dinosaur toys and a recurring point brought up was price and how parents are likely to just go for whatever is cheapest to keep their child happy.
Makes sense, cheaper here in the us is better. Profit also makes sense and in economics min maxing is everywhere from tanks to toys

Brocc21

I own a rebor acro. It actually looks pretty cool. I also own a papo spinosaurus with the head of the papo bary.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Brocc21 on September 05, 2018, 10:37:49 PM
I also own a papo spinosaurus with the head of the papo bary.

I have that knockoff too, it's such a bizzare figure

DragonRider02

I have found this really cool looking Tapejara and Psittacosaurus models on Ebay for a decent price. Are those knock-offs? Because all other things made by this Floz company seems to be KO's of Papo, Rebor or Schleich.

Also, they have really pretty repainted version of Schleich Therizinosaurus:

IrritatorRaji

I've wondered the same thing for quite a while now. Flox do tend to make knock offs, and rather 'meh' knock offs at that, but these two figures don't really portray that sloppy cheap 'knock off' feel of their other models. I mean, even in person these models look alright (not my pictures)

Ravonium

The Tapejara and Psittacosaurus in DragonRider2's post are knockoffs of a Chinese company called Dinostar (link to discussion about them here).

The pictures in IrritatorRaji's post appear to be those of the original figures, not the knockoffs, hence why they look better in quality than in the pictures of the Floz versions.

DragonRider02

Aw. So I guess the quality of it won't be so good... But I can't find original on Ebay; I mean there are few auctions which doesn't Say what brand it is...

Halichoeres

I have the Tapejara and I got it from TaoBao. It's stamped "Dinostar" on the belly, but I don't think the brand name was included in the listing. I agree that the ones in the photos look like the genuine article.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ravonium

Nevermind, the photos DragonRider02 posted are of a genuine auction  :)

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Ravonium on September 07, 2018, 07:00:15 AM
The Tapejara and Psittacosaurus in DragonRider2's post are knockoffs of a Chinese company called Dinostar (link to discussion about them here).

The pictures in IrritatorRaji's post appear to be those of the original figures, not the knockoffs, hence why they look better in quality than in the pictures of the Floz versions.

No, it's not like that, sorry.. (a little bit of confusion)
Tapejara and Psittacosaurus are from a company called Dinostar and they aren't bootleg ( http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5734.msg171591#msg171591 ).

DragonRider02' pictures are from this website:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tapejara-Pterosauria-Dinosaurs-8-large-PVC-solid-Figurine-Figure-model-Floz/222520428917?hash=item33cf404975:g:CeoAAOSw9OFZI9yP

The seller (us_seller_joshep) used the mark "Floz" but the figure isn't a knock-off.
I bought the Tapejara from MHHK and the Psittacosaurus from us_seller_joseph
I received a Tapejara marked as Dinostar under the belly from MHHK.
And I received a Psittacosaurus marked as Dinostar under the belly from us_seller_joseph.
Exactly same packaging.
The one from us_seller_joseph has a piece of paper "Floz" outside the plastic bag but the figure is correctly labeled as Dinostar.

Probably the seller us_seller_joseph mislabeled the product but the figure is genuine.
The one from MHHK is simply overpriced (as usual): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tapejara-Pterosauria-Dinosaur-PVC-Solid-Figurine-Figure-Model/153145586406?hash=item23a83032e6:g:N6QAAOSwvihY~i0S
Both sellers have exactly the same product.

Ravonium

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on September 07, 2018, 08:20:59 PM
The seller (us_seller_joshep) used the mark "Floz" but the figure isn't a knock-off.
I bought the Tapejara from MHHK and the Psittacosaurus from us_seller_joseph
I received a Tapejara marked as Dinostar under the belly from MHHK.
And I received a Psittacosaurus marked as Dinostar under the belly from us_seller_joseph.
Exactly same packaging.
The one from us_seller_joseph has a piece of paper "Floz" outside the plastic bag but the figure is correctly labeled as Dinostar.

Probably the seller us_seller_joseph mislabeled the product but the figure is genuine.

Ah, I see  :)  Thanks for correcting me. I shouldn't have assumed that is was definitely a bootleg based on fairly little evidence  (It did seem a bit suspicious that a company of Dinostar's product range (3 known figures) would be a target for bootleggers).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: