News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Knock-off figures - general discussion

Started by SBell, October 03, 2014, 03:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on October 29, 2018, 11:05:00 PM
Are there knock-offs of PNSO figures?

Yes, there are. Some examples can be found on Reply #814 on this thread.

Dinomike

Quote from: terrorchicken on October 28, 2018, 05:06:38 PM
not sure but it is rather nice.  The trex on the same listing does looks like a Papo knockoff

also look at these knockoffs on bases, oh wow you gotta love these seller's creativity at "bashing" different things together.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T-Rex-Tyrannosaurus-Giganotosaurus-Figure-Dinosaur-Model-Base-Collector-Toy-Gift/253949079896?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D54768%26meid%3D8949b05089284f2d82d03e66d8495580%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D253935856869%26itm%3D253949079896&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

They actually put a fair amount of effort into this one. The base is not too bad! Very creative scenes indeed. Lol!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Ravonium on October 30, 2018, 07:51:57 AM

I was just wondering whether this sauropod in a lot I'm bidding on is a genuine PNSO. Do you know if the larger figures can have poor paint apps?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Archosauria

The entire PNSO miniatures collection can be found on Aliexpress in knockoff form for around $10. I bought them out of pure desperation because I couldn't find very many genuine PNSO minis for sale at the time.
The knockoffs are OK. The sculpt is the same, obviously, and they even have "PNSO" sculpted on their bellies. The only way that one could tell they're knockoffs is due to their comparatively bad paint schemes and the warped bases on the theropods.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

stargatedalek

Those almost look more like liquidated rejects than knock-offs, especially given they're still marked PNSO.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on October 31, 2018, 01:13:10 AM
Quote from: Ravonium on October 30, 2018, 07:51:57 AM

I was just wondering whether this sauropod in a lot I'm bidding on is a genuine PNSO. Do you know if the larger figures can have poor paint apps?

Occasionally. My Huanghetitan arrived with some paint wear on the head.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Lizerd

As a wiser man once said: now that's allot a damage.
Not actually surprising, Mattel is large so knock offs are so common.
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Jetdin

i just got this from taobao.
wanted a huge brach and i got one.
its essentially a copy of the horizon brachiosaurus but made from a somewhat more durable material.
the paint job is meh but i wont complain as the figure is 10x cheaper than the horizon kit haha.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ITdactyl

Non-dinosaur related, but in the theme of this thread:

It seems Hasbro has won the case against counterfeit transformer toys being produced in China.  It remains to be seen what effect or influence this may have towards other toylines (or even other manufacturers) but it does set a precedent for using intellectual property laws to curb bootlegs/counterfeits.

Source:  https://newsroom.hasbro.com/news-releases/news-release-details/hasbro-trademark-rights-upheld-criminal-case-involving

ruochuan

Quote from: mgaguilar on October 25, 2018, 05:38:10 AM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/253935856869
This Stygimoloch is gorgeous. Is it a knock-off??? Mofun seems like one of those chinese replica manufacturers.

I took the plunge and bought this figure. It is... not bad at all. Nice sculpt and detail. Good attempt of shading and washing with paint. Look very much like the Stygimoloch in JW movie.
It is made of soft PVC material similar to the Papo Pachycephalosaurus. The only minor complaint is the size, this is a big model, about the same size as Battat T-Rex. Given the size, it feels very light in hand, maybe hollow?
I can't find much info on MoFun or this particular model, but it is not a bad model.

My dinosaur model pictures:
http://seattlesaurus.tumblr.com

Shonisaurus

Mine is being held at customs since December 16 and I will receive it from January 16. I count the days so that it arrives at my house. Honestly for I'm going to lie I like the dinosaur apart from the beautiful modeled by its large size and that it is made of PVC although it is hollow.

It is a very beautiful figure. The first good stygimoloch in my collection since Geoworld honestly does not convince me.

Smilodon P.

I was looking for "Aurora Prehistoric Scenes" and Tamiya dioramas when I came across this:

https://www.plazajapan.com/4968728170794/

The company also has a very bizarre Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops, but in my opinion, the velociraptor model looks very much like the mattel one.

What do you think? Is it a Knock-off?

Loon

S @Smilodon P. Probably just inspired by the JP raptor, it looks neat though.

I've seen this picture in a review for the PNSO Shantungosaurus on Aliexpress:

Those big hollow figures can't be too hard to KO, right?

Also, found this large, soft toy rip-off of the CollectA Feathered Tyrannosaurus:

CityRaptor

Quote from: Smilodon P. on January 06, 2019, 10:11:32 PM
I was looking for "Aurora Prehistoric Scenes" and Tamiya dioramas when I came across this:

SNIP

The company also has a very bizarre Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops, but in my opinion, the velociraptor model looks very much like the mattel one.
What do you think? Is it a Knock-off?

Looking at some of their other products, I think it is a legit company. Keep in mind that japanese companies are generally not making knock-offs. The similarities are likely due to being based on the Jurassic Park design.

It's kinda funny. Spielberg and Winston wanted the Dinosaur designs altered for copyright purposes, yet those designs have been copied extremely often with various degrees of success.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Silvanusaurus

I  know about that weird Spinosaurus that just used the head, but have there been any bootlegs of the whole Papo Baryonyx yet? I need to see one... for... research purposes... O:-)

stargatedalek

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: