News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA-New for 2015

Started by Concavenator, October 20, 2014, 07:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suchomimus

Quote from: Mauro "Raptor86" on October 31, 2014, 02:24:46 PM
Quote from: suspsy on October 31, 2014, 02:18:06 PM
Is that what's been happening to the Juvenile T. Rex? That one's been on my want list for awhile.

Mine has its face touching the ground. I have also done the hot water-ice treatment (for this review http://paleo-nerd.blogspot.nl/2014/09/juvenile-tyrannosaurus-rex-by-collecta.html) but it worked for a few days...

Same here, mine's nodding off too. I'd recommend you prepare a makeshift stand to support under its armpits after getting one. (pic related) It's a great sculpt though!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I really think a harder plastic is needed..if only in the legs.  This guy requires a support  yet my JP:Lost World baby Rex ( about the same scale/size) has never warped or toppled and that's since 98'.  :/

Mauro "Raptor86"

Quote from: suchomimus on November 03, 2014, 07:57:15 AM
Quote from: Mauro "Raptor86" on October 31, 2014, 02:24:46 PM
Quote from: suspsy on October 31, 2014, 02:18:06 PM
Is that what's been happening to the Juvenile T. Rex? That one's been on my want list for awhile.

Mine has its face touching the ground. I have also done the hot water-ice treatment (for this review http://paleo-nerd.blogspot.nl/2014/09/juvenile-tyrannosaurus-rex-by-collecta.html) but it worked for a few days...

Same here, mine's nodding off too. I'd recommend you prepare a makeshift stand to support under its armpits after getting one. (pic related) It's a great sculpt though!

Thank you for the advice. I'll try that!

Yes, I really like the sculpt as I wrote in my review...but if a figure has a bad it is supposed to stand without additional support! I hope CollectA learned the lesson.

alexeratops

Oh, that's too bad... I liked that little baby rex. Well I hope this doesn't happen to their new Bistaheversor too, because that's practically ordered already!!
like a bantha!

suspsy

Clever idea, that stand. What did you use? Looks like a thick paper clip.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

amargasaurus cazaui

Another reason I am glad I do not specialize in theropods......
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Libraraptor

Great Entelodont!  :o But I´m rather bored by all the xyz - ceratopsians  ::)

Bokisaurus

Oddly, for the most part,I Have never had problems with my dins on base. My oviraptor and baby rex are still perfectly standing. The oviraptor has been out for years now, and still going strong. The only one I had issues with is the Pachy. It could be packaging also, I got a second Oviraptor to paint, and it was packed badly, and it won't stand up straight.
The baby rex's material I think is harder than the others, it's a lot sturdier than it looks.
Maybe I just lucked out  ;D My Carnegie Giga on the other hand, it's feet is now bent forward like it slipped! Nothing I do would restore it after a few years standing on a shelf.

Meso-Cenozoic

What bugs me about the ones on the bases is mine were held up because they were supposedly "fixing" them. So when I finally got my last bunch just a few weeks ago, they were still soft and pliable. My worst one is the Saurophaganax. His base won't even stand up! And the base looks perfectly flat, but the figure is bent leaning one way bad enough that it pulls it and its base over. This doesn't look like a packing issue either.

So when Dean from DeJankins told me my last order was held up because CollectA had gotten a hold of him saying, "We are perfecting any potential defects items may have.", I was a bit shocked when I finally got them that they were still having the exact same problems as everyone else had mentioned that got batches before this. So all my base figures are bending and twisting awkwardly. What did they "fix"? They really do need to use a slightly stiffer plastic. Plain and simple.

suspsy

Quote from: Bokisaurus on November 04, 2014, 12:06:47 AMMy Carnegie Giga on the other hand, it's feet is now bent forward like it slipped! Nothing I do would restore it after a few years standing on a shelf.

My Giganotosaurus has the exact same problem. So does my Carnegie Spinosaurus. :(

suchomimus

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on November 04, 2014, 02:43:14 AM
His base won't even stand up...the figure is bent leaning one way bad enough that it pulls it and its base over.

He looked so good in the pictures they show but the science behind it just didn't work out huh :-\ I feel sorry for all the nicely sculpted theropods by collectA that gave hope to no more warped feet/clown feet/tripod pose figures :(

Quote from: suspsy on November 03, 2014, 06:33:27 PM
Clever idea, that stand. What did you use? Looks like a thick paper clip.

Normal paper clips work i guess. I used hobby/gardening wire for mine (a packet like this costs just SGD$2!)
credits to wordpress.com for the link and greetings from Singapore!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Would the temperature in anyone's homes be an solution to warping /bending? Are the figures near a window or do they receive any heat at all?  I think that could be part of the problem.  I know in winter when the heat is cranked up here some of mine tend droop a bit more.

Meso-Cenozoic

Oh yeah, definitely Chris. But my new CollectA theropods on bases came already starting to warp. I haven't even put them out for display yet. Usually the hot/cold water treatments work on my Carnegies. But they also have a stiffer plastic. So they set harder with the cold water. I tried this method on the CollectA's and doesn't seem to be effective at all on their softer grade of plastic. Not sure what to do to solve their problem. I really don't like using foreign materials to prop them up. I like them to look as natural as possible. And we really shouldn't have to be searching around for props. They should stand on their own since they're on bases. The simple fix is a harder plastic. I don't know why after so many failed pieces, they just don't switch materials. And they already have and use a harder plastic on some of their other pieces. I just don't get it. Especially since they held this last shipment to "fix" the problems, but then shipped them out with the soft plastic anyway.  ???

Pawnosuchus

I'm not a big fan of figures with bases to start with and now that I see they're warping and people are propping them up it's confirmed my decision not to get them. It's a shame because the  young T-rex looks like a fine figure but I'm not going to spend money on a figure I have to repair. In my opinion Collecta started out poorly, seemed to advance quite a bit, and is now regressing in quality.

Concavenator

If I was at CollectA I would discontinue figures like their Allosaurus,Spinosaurus,Triceratops,
Eustreptospondylus...those are some seriously bad figures.It's stupid that CollectA has a large amount of really low quality figures and keep on doing them.They should resculpt them.

tyrantqueen

I guess they're just "placeholders" until something better is made >:D Same with Carnegie.

suspsy

I think stands can be hit or miss. It's always great to have a bipedal dinosaur that can stand on its own two feet, but the fact of the matter is that you simply can't acheive a very active pose. And you often have to increase the size of the feet or have the tip of the tail functioning as a third limb.

Again, the only stand-mounted CollectA figure I currently own is the Tyrannosaurus rex w/Struthiomimus and I'm very glad to own that version instead of the previous one.

alexeratops

Quote from: suspsy on November 04, 2014, 08:11:50 PM
Again, the only stand-mounted CollectA figure I currently own is the Tyrannosaurus rex w/Struthiomimus and I'm very glad to own that version instead of the previous one.
I own it too, but its never had any problems standing. I hope it's the same for the Bistaheversor. ^-^
like a bantha!

tyrantqueen

QuoteWould the temperature in anyone's homes be an solution to warping /bending? Are the figures near a window or do they receive any heat at all?  I think that could be part of the problem.  I know in winter when the heat is cranked up here some of mine tend droop a bit more.

CollectA are based in the UK, and we don't have hot weather here. That's why they used such soft plastic, because they never expected any problems with heat in the first place.

Okay, that's a joke >:D I suspect it is a QC issue. They need to use stronger plastic. I hope that people can alert them via their Facebook page that this is happening and they can take it on board for their next figures.

Mauro "Raptor86"

Quote from: alexeratops on November 04, 2014, 11:58:24 PM
Quote from: suspsy on November 04, 2014, 08:11:50 PM
I own it too, but its never had any problems standing. I hope it's the same for the Bistaheversor. ^-^

My Bistaheversor does not suffer of any problem

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: