News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA-New for 2015

Started by Concavenator, October 20, 2014, 07:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Reptiles don't exactly have lips either..and of course birds have bills...but if they had teeth and the bills were actually scales... I'd say that makes lips a 50/50 at the least.

Wasn't it said that the teeth in theropod skulls stick out so far because of minerals in the bones of the skull that pushes them out?  The teeth in that Rex skull then should be pushed back up into the skull/tooth cavities..probably up to the enamel.

triceratops83

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 22, 2014, 06:01:17 AM
Reptiles don't exactly have lips either..and of course birds have bills...but if they had teeth and the bills were actually scales... I'd say that makes lips a 50/50 at the least.

Wasn't it said that the teeth in theropod skulls stick out so far because of minerals in the bones of the skull that pushes them out?  The teeth in that Rex skull then should be pushed back up into the skull/tooth cavities..probably up to the enamel.

How deep are tooth puncture marks from T rex, Allosaurs on the bones of their prey? I know there are a few examples of this, that might give some idea of tooth length in the living animal. Ok, maybe not precise, but hey...eh, just ignore me. Dumb idea ::)
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

amargasaurus cazaui

As the organic roots of the teeth decompose, it allows the teeth to slide out of their sockets, and fall out entirely normally. The original holes generally infill with sediments that prevent the teeth from being thrust back in to the proper length , which leaves them protruding further than they should have.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on December 22, 2014, 04:08:32 PM

As the organic roots of the teeth decompose, it allows the teeth to slide out of their sockets, and fall out entirely normally. The original holes generally infill with sediments that prevent the teeth from being thrust back in to the proper length , which leaves them protruding further than they should have.

In  a replica skull it should be easy to adjust the tooth length though. I've seen this feature of skulls give an incorrect impression to many.

stargatedalek

other than crocodilians (aquatic) and turtles/tortoises (billed) all modern reptiles have lips (perhaps we weren't thinking of the same thing by "lips", I was referring the to the teeth being concealed when the mouth is closed)

however, I hadn't thought of the possibility they may have had primitive beaks (I had heard of this before but it slipped my mind), so indeed I have to agree with you

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 22, 2014, 05:08:27 PM

other than crocodilians (aquatic) and turtles/tortoises (billed) all modern reptiles have lips (perhaps we weren't thinking of the same thing by "lips", I was referring the to the teeth being concealed when the mouth is closed)

however, I hadn't thought of the possibility they may have had primitive beaks (I had heard of this before but it slipped my mind), so indeed I have to agree with you

Yeah we when we say "lips" I think of fleshy ones mostly. Reptiles, I've kept a number of them as pets, don't so much to me look to have lips, but the scales of the mouth do not move to cover the teeth, more like the teeth are smaller/recessed in the gums so that the scales of the jaws meet.
So by your definition of lips you were correct also.   I guess it comes down to what ones defines as " lips". lol

stargatedalek

I hear you, when I meant lips I was just thinking of "the teeth not hanging out".

Sim

Quote from: Gwangi on December 21, 2014, 09:11:23 PM
I really wish that the people who started these threads would update the original post as the models were announced. Or just not take it upon themselves to start the thread in the first place. I wanted to look at the head of the CollectA model but it is not on page 01, rather than search through all the pages for it I guess I'll go do a Google image search.
I agree.  I was going to mention this in my previous post in this thread but I forgot to.  While writing that post, I ended up doing a Google image search for a picture of the CollectA Tyrannosaurus to refer to!  Thanks for updating the op Blade-of-the-Moon!

I didn't know about dinosaur nostril placement being proposed to be lower, besides in sauropods.  It looks like there isn't a consensus on where non-sauropod dinosaur nostrils were though?  In any case this explains the CollectA Tyrannosaurus' nostril placement.  Although the CollectA Acrocanthosaurus has its nostrils placed on the top of its snout!

I did take the CollectA T. rex having lips into consideration, but it's the top part of the snout that looks too tall.  After looking at the skull in leidy's post though, I think it might just be the angle of the CollectA figure that's throwing me off.

Lusotitan

Daxiatitan looks great - even if just because it's a Daxiatitan, which is unexpected to say the least. Also, the Acrocanthosaurus color scheme is really nice.

triceratops83

Quote from: Lusotitan on December 26, 2014, 01:56:21 AM
Daxiatitan looks great - even if just because it's a Daxiatitan, which is unexpected to say the least. quote]

That's what makes Collecta collecta. The Unexpected.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

suspsy

Looking at the front page again. Are all these figures being released in May or are some coming out earlier?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: suspsy on December 26, 2014, 04:40:01 PM
Looking at the front page again. Are all these figures being released in May or are some coming out earlier?

I updated from Dejankins page since he had them all listed, just forgot to add all the others :

CollectA Standard size Nasutoceratops - expected January 2014   

New for 2015   CollectA Standard size Daxiatitan - expected January 2014   

New for 2015   CollectA Standard size Medusaceratops - expected January 2014   

New for 2015   CollectA Standard size Xiongguanlong - expected January 2014

CollectA Deluxe Pliosaurus, 1:40 scale - expected January 2015

Manatee

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 26, 2014, 05:08:37 PM

I updated from Dejankins page since he had them all listed, just forgot to add all the others :

New for 2015 but expected for January 2014... ah, typos.
Anyway, that's good news! Nice to have them coming out early.

Blade-of-the-Moon

lol I didn't even catch that..just copy/pasted.. ;D

Takama

Quote from: Manatee on December 27, 2014, 01:47:50 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 26, 2014, 05:08:37 PM

New for 2015 but expected for January 2014... ah, typos.
Anyway, that's good news! Nice to have them coming out early.

I would take these with a grain of salt. CollectA never releases there products on schedule

Blade-of-the-Moon

Let's say that's thew current expected release dates..;)

Zhuchengotyrant

I can barely wait for the xionguanlong, as I am making a tyrannosaur cladogram  ;)
-Zhuchengotyrant

SBell

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 27, 2014, 05:54:24 AM
Let's say that's thew current expected release dates..;)

It also depends where you are--the Canadian dealer rarely gets an order in until May or June, regardless of when models are released.

Concavenator

CollectA's website updated:
http://www.collecta.biz/es/

Please can anyone explain me what is the new series 'Supreme'.If it's of animals of small size,I think a Microraptor or Harpactognathus would look gorgeous.Already an impressive start with the Guidraco,my fave pterosaur.  :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Concavenator on December 30, 2014, 08:00:28 PM
CollectA's website updated:
http://www.collecta.biz/es/

Please can anyone explain me what is the new series 'Supreme'.If it's of animals of small size,I think a Microraptor or Harpactognathus would look gorgeous.Already an impressive start with the Guidraco,my fave pterosaur.  :)

Let me say I hope that's what they are doing. Making smaller species larger/closer to 1:1.  I'm gettign at least three of those Guidracos.. ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: