News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA-New for 2015

Started by Concavenator, October 20, 2014, 07:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

I found a review of some of the new models,featuring the Guidraco.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xHt-TiUae8

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on February 13, 2015, 08:27:41 AM

My wrists still hurts when I see that Spinosaurus. Thats the reason I'll get the swiming version only.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Daspletodave

The swimming Spinosaurus looks ok to me. The other two look like something you'd expect to see in a Chinese New Year's parade.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Megalosaurus on February 14, 2015, 04:19:26 PM
Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on February 13, 2015, 08:27:41 AM

My wrists still hurts when I see that Spinosaurus. Thats the reason I'll get the swiming version only.

It's hard to tell, but it looks like it's the fingers which are hyperextended at the base, not the wrist. This is actually possible in non-coelurosaurian theropods (or at least Acrocanthosaurus). http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1017/S0952836905006989/abstract

QuoteAll three digits are capable of extreme hyper-extension.
The range of motion in the forelimb of Acrocanthosaurus resembles that of Herrerasaurus and Dilophosaurus, and exceeds that of Tyrannosaurus.
Acrocanthosaurus exhibits a greater manual range of motion than ornithomimid and deinonychosaurian coelurosaurs, but less at the shoulder and elbow. Coelurosaurian theropods exhibit reduced digital flexion and hyper-extension, which suggests a change in the use of the manus in coelurosaurs.

Basically, these basal theropods seems to have been able to extremely hyper-extend their fingers to compensate for the fact that they couldn't really move their shoulders, so it was the only way they could grab onto prey. Now, I don't think Spinosaurus would remotely have been able to walk like this, but there's no reason to think it could't adopt this pose.

I would have only complained about the croc-like scutes, before they found them on the tail of Kulindadromeus... :)
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Concavenator on February 14, 2015, 04:14:04 PM
Are exceptional figures, by the way besides the huge Guidraco is better than the prototype.
Moreover equal the prototype Moropus and Daeodon.
Thank minizoo video is awesome.

MiniZoo

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 14, 2015, 08:24:36 PM
Are exceptional figures, by the way besides the huge Guidraco is better than the prototype.

You're very welcome! I've a newbie here, just joined today with the intention to post our video but I see you've beaten us to it!! Please subscribe to our channel if you haven't already - we'll be posting another 2015 CollectA dino one this week and plenty more videos in the planning.

Meso-Cenozoic

I just realized it looks like the back feet of all those Spinos are webbed? Cool, if they are! And I hope the teeth on the mass-produced figures turn out close to the ones on these guys. They're really very nicely done!

As far as the wrists go, I'm not quite sure how I feel about them yet. I mainly like the figures because they represent this new look and aesthetically, the sculpts seem to be nicely done. But as far as I know, nobody really knows exactly how they would've gotten around on land with this new anatomy. I do think it looks a bit impossible for them to put too much weight on the forelimbs. Maybe the majority of the weight distribution was put upon the back legs?

Oh, almost forgot. Thanks for the new video, Concavenator! I was a little confused at first though, when I saw the REBOR T. rex at the beginning. I thought, wait, isn't this suppose to be a CollectA review? LOL! I guess MiniZoo has adopted it for their mascot. ;) Also happen to catch a fairly major mistake, when the reviewer refers to the Guidraco as a "dinosaur" that ate fish. Oops! Kind of makes me wonder how much they know about dinosaurs. But it was nice to see the full 360 view of these three.

triceratops83

Cool Video, MiniZoo! And as a long time customer, it's great to see you here!
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

MiniZoo

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on February 15, 2015, 06:40:27 AM
Also happen to catch a fairly major mistake, when the reviewer refers to the Guidraco as a "dinosaur" that ate fish. Oops! Kind of makes me wonder how much they know about dinosaurs. But it was nice to see the full 360 view of these three.

You're quite right - we should have correctly referred to it as a Pterosaur. The video is one of our very first YouTube videos intended for a wide audience including young children and we used the term 'dinosaur' perhaps too loosely (being a broad term most children would understand clearly). We will certainly pick up our game considering that there are a lot of dinosaur experts on this forum and elsewhere who will also see the material, so thankyou for pointing the error out.

As far as it being a Piscivore goes we sourced the information from here... http://www.prehistoric-wildlife.com/species/g/guidraco.html namely "Guidraco is thought to have been a piscivore (‬an eater of fish) ‬because of the arrangement of the anterior (‬forward) ‬teeth that are both elongated and angled to point forwards rather than just up and down. ‬This arrangement creates a large catch area of needle like teeth that significantly increases the chance of this pterosaur to catch and hold onto slippery prey like fish. ‬These anterior teeth also have vertical ridges on the back while the teeth at the rear of the mouth are smooth."

I'm pleased you enjoyed the 360 views. We hope to bring many more videos to you.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's a common mistake those " in the know" like us will quickly point out.  Though I've done it myself in similar situations.  Using terms like underwater dinosaur and nessie to describe the animals I'm referring to with the general public sometimes..most have no idea what a plesiosaur , Mosasaur, ect.. are.  When it comes to pterosaurs, everything is a flying dinosaur or a pterodactyl.

Meso wasn't questioning the diet of Guidraco I don't think..it sure looks like it enjoys seafood..perhaps of several kinds including fish. :)

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 15, 2015, 07:40:17 AM
It's a common mistake those " in the know" like us will quickly point out.  Though I've done it myself in similar situations.  Using terms like underwater dinosaur and nessie to describe the animals I'm referring to with the general public sometimes..most have no idea what a plesiosaur , Mosasaur, ect.. are.  When it comes to pterosaurs, everything is a flying dinosaur or a pterodactyl.

Meso wasn't questioning the diet of Guidraco I don't think..it sure looks like it enjoys seafood..perhaps of several kinds including fish. :)

That's right. I was only pointing out the word "dinosaur". That's why I just put quotations around that word.  And yes, I can see if your store caters to a large volume of younger kids, Pterosaur might be a bit new to them. Maybe "Flying Reptile" would work better? On the other hand, don't underestimate these kids nowadays. There are some on here that know more than me! LOL! Thank you again for your video. The images are really crisp and the turntable is a great tool that works really well for viewing around the entire pieces. Looking forward to seeing more videos!

Concavenator

MiniZoo,when will the Guidraco hit the stores?
P.S I haven't got a YouTube account.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's a double edged sword..you dumb things down a bit and generalize for most then you have one kid that really KNOWS and he puts you on the spot. heh

MiniZoo

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 15, 2015, 08:52:55 AM
It's a double edged sword..you dumb things down a bit and generalize for most then you have one kid that really KNOWS and he puts you on the spot. heh

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on February 15, 2015, 07:59:01 AM
On the other hand, don't underestimate these kids nowadays. There are some on here that know more than me! LOL! Thank you again for your video. The images are really crisp and the turntable is a great tool that works really well for viewing around the entire pieces. Looking forward to seeing more videos!

Quite right! I've met four year olds who can name more dinosaurs than me!

Quote from: Concavenator on February 15, 2015, 08:35:52 AM
MiniZoo,when will the Guidraco hit the stores?
P.S I haven't got a YouTube account.

All three featured in the video are due in store in May  :)

Shonisaurus

Quote from: MiniZoo on February 15, 2015, 05:30:13 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 14, 2015, 08:24:36 PM

You're very welcome! I've a newbie here, just joined today with the intention to post our video but I see you've beaten us to it!! Please subscribe to our channel if you haven't already - we'll be posting another 2015 CollectA dino one this week and plenty more videos in the planning.

I already subscribed yesterday, thanks for your kindness and attention. His videos are outstanding.

darth daniel

Quote from: MiniZoo on February 15, 2015, 10:09:22 AMAll three featured in the video are due in store in May  :)

Do you know when the Daxiatitan will be available? And will you do a similar video review for this figure as well? :)

Meso-Cenozoic

MiniZoo -- I was all excited when I looked you up online and saw on the map that you had stores in both New York City in the Central Park Zoo, and in New Jersey at the Turtle Back Zoo. Then I clicked on the link to your site and saw you're actually in Australia! I was looking forward to stopping in one of your stores over here since I live in the New York City Metro area. LOL! I guess my google map search gave me "Mini" or smaller Zoos in my area. Haha!!

*As far as release dates here in the States, Dejankins has these dates listed...

MARCH:

Standard --
Nasutoceratops
Daxiatitan
Medusaceratops
Xiongguanlong

Deluxe --
Pliosaurus

MAY:

Standard --
Smilodon
Temnodontosaurus

Deluxe --
Feathered Tyrannosaurus rex
Acrocanthosaurus
Moropus
Daeodon
Guidraco

No dates yet on the Spino family and Baobab Tree.
And be aware these are very tentative. CollectA has been know to change release dates more than once, and usually to later. ;)

triceratops83

Quote from: darth daniel on February 15, 2015, 11:33:19 AM
Quote from: MiniZoo on February 15, 2015, 10:09:22 AMAll three featured in the video are due in store in May  :)

Do you know when the Daxiatitan will be available? And will you do a similar video review for this figure as well? :)

That figure is already available from Minizoo.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Concavenator

The Spinosaurus models will be available in July/August afaik.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Concavenator on February 15, 2015, 01:08:06 PM
The Spinosaurus models will be available in July/August afaik.
So far away!  Just when I decide to go ahead and get the deluxe to display in place of the blue Favorite soft-model.  He really is too soft...
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: