News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA New Spinosaurus (based on most recent information)

Started by Concavenator, November 22, 2014, 04:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Hello,
I sent CollectA a pretty long email asking for a new Deluxe 1:40 Spinosaurus:
Having seen your 2015 lineup,I must say I'm more than impressed,and so,I think CollectA is by far the best animal sculpture brand from now on.I'm personally a prehistoric life collector,so I'm amazed by what I've seen,full of exotic species.I think your labor is really great,so please keep releasing obscure dinosaurs,it really is good to make the public aware of other dinosaurs,not always the classic ones.That being said,I would like to leave an amazing suggestion for 2016.A Deluxe 1:40 Spinosaurus.I know you have one,but I personally think your quality has vastly improved since then.Besides,a new paper describing more information of this (bizarre) animal was released this summer.I'll tell you.An all new sculpt is needed.If you look at the Dinosaur Toy Forum,people are looking for finally having an updated version.We're looking at you,CollectA.Now I'll focus on how should it look.Spinosaurus had a long skull,with a gap in the upper jaw,actually believed for hunting fish.It has a nasal crest,possibly used for display.The sail extends from the shoulder area and ends at the hips area.It has a little gap in the mid.Regarding the posture,it is now believed to be a knuckle walker.It resembles a calicothere,but this case is just descriptive,because Spinosaurus couldn't pronate its hands.The body is very long,and its legs are really stumpy and small,similar to the size of its arms.Also,its feets are webbed,pretty much like duck's. The posture is quadrupedal.Spinosaurus was piscivorous,so the inclusion of a fish would be a nice touch.I have your Ichthyovenator and I just love him.Regarding the look of the figure,a crocodilian look would make sense,but not so overly.If you'd like to base it on anything,I would most probably pick Bonadonna's look,which is the most famous.Spinosaurus is surely a very weird and special dinosaur,but it's a classic too,since his appearance in JP 3 .Everyone knows about it.JP 4 releases next year,abd Spinosaurus will appear,but instead basing yours on the film's one,base it on the new discoveries.Also,it has another plus.You have a Carcharodontosaurus in your Deluxe 1:40 range,as well as a Paralititan,so you could create a pretty nice diorama of Late Cretaceous African dinosaurs.I really really hope this dream comes alive.I have more suggestions but I'd love so deep to see an updated (2014 studies) Spinosaurus,I'd even sacrifice them.Oh,CollectA don't disappoint us and bring an incredible new Spinosaurus!You don't know how many people would you make so happy!Cheers!
Basically,I hope someone could tell CollectA to please make one.Maybe we can make suggestion for its look too.Oh,come on!I'm sure most of us would LOVE to have a new CollectA Spinosaurus,don't we?!  ;)

amanda

Errrrm, no. It is not even close to confirmed what this thing is yet.

Roselaar

Brave attempt. It'll be curious to see whether Collecta will listen.

I'm not in a hurry for an updated Spinosaur though, I'm still progressing the new look mentally.

amanda

Rush one through now, and then find out next year it is off? Why? I would not if I were a toy company, even one as brave as CollectA. Then again, I own no CollectA's ..Yet.

stargatedalek

Quote from: amanda on November 22, 2014, 08:46:20 PM
Rush one through now, and then find out next year it is off? Why? I would not if I were a toy company, even one as brave as CollectA. Then again, I own no CollectA's ..Yet.
honestly we know a fair bit about how spinosaurus looks
we know the limb proportions, the digits, the shape of the ridge, the only thing thats still under debate is whether it might have moved on all fours or balanced on its short hindlimbs

suspsy

I'm totally down with this. I reckon I'm going to shoot off an email to CollectA as well. I'll also request a Dead Mapusaurus with Argentinosaurus footprints in its body.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

Quote from: suspsy on November 22, 2014, 10:24:55 PM
I'm totally down with this. I reckon I'm going to shoot off an email to CollectA as well. I'll also request a Dead Mapusaurus with Argentinosaurus footprints in its body.
Would appreciate a lot if people send emais to CollectA suggesting the new Spino.Fantastic idea with the dead Mapusaurus  ;)

Dinomike

Thank you Concavenator for your initiative! I think I'll do the same! And what if it could somehow be posed so that it could also bee seen swimming? Maybe a deluxe set of two differently posed creatures! Okay...I'm maybe getting a bit too excited here!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Yutyrannus

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 22, 2014, 10:21:03 PM
Quote from: amanda on November 22, 2014, 08:46:20 PM
honestly we know a fair bit about how spinosaurus looks
we know the limb proportions, the digits, the shape of the ridge, the only thing thats still under debate is whether it might have moved on all fours or balanced on its short hindlimbs
Or whether it walked at all ;).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

stargatedalek

thats rather highly speculative at this point
as is quadrupedal movement given what we do know of its wrists

Concavenator

Quote from: Dinomike on November 22, 2014, 10:56:48 PM
Thank you Concavenator for your initiative! I think I'll do the same! And what if it could somehow be posed so that it could also bee seen swimming? Maybe a deluxe set of two differently posed creatures! Okay...I'm maybe getting a bit too excited here!
I'd like a swimming pose too,but it'd be difficult for the sculptor to do one without a base or something...and the Deluxe line doesn't have bases for any sculpt.A standing one would be great.Thank you,I really appreciate it  :D

SBell

Did you send it to anyone in particular? Because I'm guessing they get a lot of emails to their customer service account.

I'll try something a little different on your behalf.

Concavenator

Quote from: SBell on November 24, 2014, 05:30:46 PM
Did you send it to anyone in particular? Because I'm guessing they get a lot of emails to their customer service account.

If you visit CollectA's page you'll find a 'suggestions page'.I sent the Spino thing there some days ago,and still got no answer.If you (SBell,or anyone) could get in contact with Anthony Beeson personally,them,please tell him about the Spinosaurus remake thing,and I hope he realizes people want one.Would really appreciate it.  :)

Dinomike

I believe our dear Everything Dinosaur has good contacts to CollectA if I'm not mistaken! Maybe he'll let them know about our wishes!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

SBell

Quote from: Concavenator on November 24, 2014, 06:43:53 PM
Quote from: SBell on November 24, 2014, 05:30:46 PM

If you visit CollectA's page you'll find a 'suggestions page'.I sent the Spino thing there some days ago,and still got no answer.If you (SBell,or anyone) could get in contact with Anthony Beeson personally,them,please tell him about the Spinosaurus remake thing,and I hope he realizes people want one.Would really appreciate it.  :)

That's who I contacted. I don't think it will happen right away, as 2016 plans are already under way (and no, I don't know what any of those plans are) so unless they are secretly working on it (which I doubt) it may take a little longer. The extra time may also help separate some of the speculation (e.g. knuckle walking) from the more substantive material (e.g. proportions, etc).

laticauda

Great Idea, but if they are smart, they will take the time to do the research first (not just slap it on a plastic lunch box and sell it).  That way they can come up with a dynamic pose, and accurate representation of the current ideas on the animal. 

Dinomike

Okay! Done! Sent them a pic of my Spino for reference too :)

Concavenator

Okay,I emailed Esther from CollectA and she told me she had already passed the Spinosaurus thing to Anthony and that he'll seriously consider it  :)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Concavenator on November 25, 2014, 07:01:43 AM
Okay,I emailed Esther from CollectA and she told me she had already passed the Spinosaurus thing to Anthony and that he'll seriously consider it  :)
That's good to hear, although I personally think there is a strong chance of one being made anyway :)

SBell

Quote from: Concavenator on November 25, 2014, 07:01:43 AM

That's not quite the impression I got from Anthony in his reply, but of course these companies all play their cards very close to their chest these days.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: