News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA New Spinosaurus (based on most recent information)

Started by Concavenator, November 22, 2014, 04:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

I think a plantigrade posture would suit it best, as then it could be displayed without a base yet there would be no implied use of the forearms.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 11, 2014, 08:30:32 PM
simple, its because Nat Geo has yet to produce a 100% accurate documentary :P

really though I think its probably because they were being made before the paper was finished, so some parts were done before all the information had been finalized
Hehe!  That's a possibility.  It seems like quite an important thing to make mistakes with though.  Even that big model based on the new information has longer legs than the lowest estimates:
There's also the possibility that the Spinosaurus fossils come from more than one species, which could have different proportions.  The leg bones had their size adjusted to match other Spinosaurus bones, so if they don't come from another species they seem to come from an animal of a different age, and sometimes body part proportions/shape/function change with age.  So I'm not convinced the lowest leg length suggested for Spinosaurus has been confirmed.

suspsy

Another means of avoiding the proper walking stance problem would be to sculpt the new Spinosaurus in a resting pose, similar to CollectA's 2013 Daspletosaurus. And like the Daspletosaurus, it would be a welcome change from the usual walking or threatening poses. Resting is what most carnivores do with their time, after all.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Yutyrannus

Quote from: suspsy on December 13, 2014, 04:24:38 PM
Another means of avoiding the proper walking stance problem would be to sculpt the new Spinosaurus in a resting pose, similar to CollectA's 2013 Daspletosaurus. And like the Daspletosaurus, it would be a welcome change from the usual walking or threatening poses. Resting is what most carnivores do with their time, after all.
Great idea! I would love a model like that (I'd rather Safari or Battat made it than Collecta though).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Concavenator

Quote from: Yutyrannus on December 13, 2014, 04:55:45 PM
Great idea! I would love a model like that (I'd rather Safari or Battat made it than Collecta though).
Why is that?

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Concavenator on December 13, 2014, 05:06:08 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on December 13, 2014, 04:55:45 PM
Why is that?
Simply that in general I prefer the models from those companies to Collecta's. This is not counting Carnegie of course because of the recent, and extreme, fall in quality in their figures, which is really annoying as the original sculpts are just as good as they used to be only to be ruined by a very poor paintjob.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Sim

A resting pose doesn't seem like a good idea for a toy as it really limits how you can play with it.  I always hated sitting animal toys when I was a kid for this reason.  I'm surprised CollectA made a sitting Daspletosaurus, but I'm surprised (not in a good way) by some other decisions CollectA has made too.  (And the pose of that Daspletosaurus didn't put me off it as much as its face did.)

I still don't have enough of an interest in resting figures to want to own them- I just don't find them inspiring enough, but I don't mind what CollectA does, as I've not wanted any of their figures so far.  If Battat were to make a resting animal, that might be the first Battat I don't want.

Dinomike

Our member Brandem has made a good resting Spino. Be sure to check it out!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Concavenator

Quote from: Dinomike on December 30, 2014, 07:49:52 PM
Our member Brandem has made a good resting Spino. Be sure to check it out!
I know I have seen it.It looks really nice.But please CollectA make a new Spinosaurus.Just PLEASE!!!  ;D (fingers crossed).

Arul

Ahh a new spinosaurus, walking with 4 legs..

Lusotitan

The quadruped interpretation is generally considered erroneous because of how theropod wrists work. There's not reason it couldn't have gotten around bipedally by simply angling the back upwards, maybe even dragging the tail, on the rare occasions it would've gone on land.

Or at least that's the most likely interpretation.

Personally I'd like them to go with a rather generic posture, seeing as postures with laying down or odd angles limit toys significantly.

stargatedalek

To think, the irony that we may have finally found an actual tail dragger ;)

Raptoress

CollectA are making the new Spinosaurus for 2015!

Everything_Dinosaur

The very latest on the new for 2015 CollectA Spinosaurus Deluxe dinosaur model, including size and also information about two other Spinosaurus models from CollectA in 2015.

To read more about the new models:Updates on CollectA Spinosaurus Models for 2015

All three models available from Everything Dinosaur in Summer 2015 (probably July).

DinoLord

Wow, it actually looks quite good! I still think this is jumping the gun a bit though...

Takama

Yes, its still a relatively new discovery.   Things could change with the drop of a hat.

Really i am shocked at this

Blade-of-the-Moon

If it is ever proven wrong or changed, we'll have a nice " what if " figure if nothing else. ;)

John

This new Deluxe Spinosaurus aegyptiacus will be a MUST HAVE for me. ;D ;D ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Horridus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 07, 2015, 08:42:19 PM
If it is ever proven wrong or changed, we'll have a nice " what if " figure if nothing else. ;)
I'm with you on that - even in the event of an effective rebuttal, or if the original authors change their minds for whatever reason, this is going to remain an interesting figure. Besides which, even if the legs are wrong, it's still overall more accurate than the vast majority of Spinosaurus figures!
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

DinoG

Collecta' s year again.....I also wander if other species will be re-thought, take baryonix for example...
Run!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: