News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA New Spinosaurus (based on most recent information)

Started by Concavenator, November 22, 2014, 04:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: ignite444 on January 14, 2015, 09:02:07 PM
I'm not a fan nor supportive of this new position for the Spinosaurus (without irrefutable proof), but I still might buy this model just because hey, it's a Spinosaurus. :P
Well its a Spino something.....you have to remember even the original type specimen was just a loose grouping of bones that may or may not have been associated or reconstructed correctly. In addition they were then destroyed during world war 2 and lost, and nothing approaching their number or size for a Spinosaurus had been found prior to this in a single specimen. Even then this new specimen is a chimera of bones from different animals at different age groups . In regards to Suspy's comment about consensus, I gues to illustrate the point more grandly it would be simpler to state that you would be hard pressed to find anyone in the paleo field accepting the conclusions of the current findings . Refutation in paper form is obviously coming .....given the reception the new reconstruction has met with. While that is still pending I see nothing wrong with accepting that is in fact the case, and understanding why,and then how it affects the animal.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

suspsy

You'd be hard-pressed to find any topic that the paleontological community is 100% agreed upon. It's true that this new interpretation has met with a lot of skepticism, but that's part of being a scientist. You're supposed to question everything. And a lot of the objections have been addressed by Ibrahim himself. Mark Witton for one fully admits to having to eat his own words:

http://markwitton-com.blogspot.ca/2014/09/the-spinosaurus-hindlimb-controversy.html?m=1

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ignite444

Oh I'm not saying it isn't a possibility, it certainly is, I'm just not supporting of it until more facts and/or proof is presented.

I just wish we had a more complete skeleton of Spinosaurus. *Sigh* You'd think with the fact that is was most likely aquatic to some extent, we'd have more bones, but nope.
My Latest Review: Rebor King T-Rex

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: ignite444 on January 14, 2015, 11:21:02 PM
Oh I'm not saying it isn't a possibility, it certainly is, I'm just not supporting of it until more facts and/or proof is presented.

I just wish we had a more complete skeleton of Spinosaurus. *Sigh* You'd think with the fact that is was most likely aquatic to some extent, we'd have more bones, but nope.
I could not agree more, it is a poorly understood animal and there are many issues with the new reconstruction that just dont work. I am just cautious to go and purchase three or four models of something that is likely to be proven badly thought out in a year, especially when there is considerable evidence to argue against it already....I think caution is the word, and collecta is attempting to capitalize on the hype is all. Ever hear the term hanging wallpaper in a burning house? It fits in this case...
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Jetoar

[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Therizinosaur

What do you think? I may end up getting all 3 of the new figures!

Photo credit: Everything Dinosaur

Megalosaurus

NO BASE?
That´s a surprise. I think they should include a removable base for this one.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Megalosaurus

1rst 2 pics are from the same figure.
I really not "eat" this reinterpretation of spinosaurus, but I like this figures just because it shows a behaivor. This time around it doesn't hurt its wrists.
The second one looks like the deluxe version but ¿scaled down?
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

DinoToyForum

Two topics merged.  C:-)

---

I'm really digging the swimming pose. I'd go so far as to say I love it!  8)

I've not really weighed in much on the whole Spinosaurus new look thing, but it is clear that Hartman's blog continues to influence people's opinions. I spoke to Nizar Ibrahim about it, who is a friend, colleague (e.g http://plesiosauria.com/pdf/smith_and_ibrahim_2007.pdf), and the lead author of the study. I've been assured there are no scaling errors in the reconstruction, and that Hartman's critique is unfounded.

There are several factors that account for Hartman's confusion, but essentially, the main one is that femur is not oriented straight down in the skeletal reconstruction. Hartman measured a 2D image and based his conclusions on that, but in the 3D model the limb is pointing outwards and so it looks shorter from the side in 2D. I hope these CollectA models account for this too.

This was a weird creature indeed!

Yutyrannus

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Patrx

Thanks for chiming in, Doctor Admin - I've hesitated to form opinions on the matter myself on the grounds that I'm not an expert and haven't seen the material. Ibrahim et. al. are experts who have seen the material, so my inclination is to trust their assessment in terms of measurements.

As for locomotory hypotheses, the animal's walking methods are way to contentious for me to feel sure picking a side - so I'm glad to see CollectA's swimming model! Is it the same size as the walking one?

Therizinosaur

SBell

Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 16, 2015, 04:06:35 PM
NO BASE?
That´s a surprise. I think they should include a removable base for this one.

I received my photos from Anthony Beeson of these poses--they are hoping to have a base for it, a clear plastic stand inspired by the Invicta bases! Although I would be just as happy with a river bottom base. That could connect up to the fish it shouls be chasing. Which is not a thing but should be (although, for those of us with the Colorata Fossil Fishes, it's a pretty easy fix!).

Dinomike

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 16, 2015, 04:52:53 PM
Two topics merged.  C:-)

---

I'm really digging the swimming pose. I'd go so far as to say I love it! 

This was a weird creature indeed!

I second Dr. Admin here! Love it!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

postsaurischian

Argh! It's a pity the swimming one isn't the DeLuxe figure >:(.

Hmm... the swimming one with a clear plastic Invicta like base and new colours - that could be good :).

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 17, 2015, 09:28:03 PM

Hmm... the swimming one with a clear plastic Invicta like base and new colours - that could be good :).

It's pretty good size judging y my ruler. Maybe a sub-adult animal?

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 17, 2015, 11:28:58 PM

Chris, How did you get an estimate of the smaller ones? Sounds like they'll not be too small then maybe. Ultimately I would've liked the Deluxe figure to be the swimming one too. But maybe it wouldn't have been as big of a seller with kids because of its playability factor.... can't stand him on his feet to fight with. ;)  Hehe!

I don't think anyone has posted all 3 figures together. With a wave of my magic photoshop wand, here they are...

The two on the left are the Standard size and the one on the right is the Deluxe. About the only difference I can see between the walking Standard and Deluxe is the raised front foot/hand on the Deluxe, and maybe a bit more paint detailing.

Takama

I cant help but notice that this is the first Time CollectA remade a Dinosaur for both there Standard and Deluxe lines.   In the past, if a dinosaur was remade, it was either one or the other

For instance there old Neovenator was a Abomination, so they remade it for the Deluxe line, but the abomination is still in the Standard range and they have yet to replace it

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on January 18, 2015, 12:50:36 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 17, 2015, 11:28:58 PM

Chris, How did you get an estimate of the smaller ones? Sounds like they'll not be too small then maybe. Ultimately I would've liked the Deluxe figure to be the swimming one too. But maybe it wouldn't have been as big of a seller with kids because of its playability factor.... can't stand him on his feet to fight with. ;)  Hehe!

I don't think anyone has posted all 3 figures together. With a wave of my magic photoshop wand, here they are...

The two on the left are the Standard size and the one on the right is the Deluxe. About the only difference I can see between the walking Standard and Deluxe is the raised front foot/hand on the Deluxe, and maybe a bit more paint detailing.

Nice!

ED mentioned it :
QuoteAs for the scale on the swimming CollectA Spinosaurus, it is not really to scale, the Deluxe version from CollectA coming out this year is much larger at 36cm long approx.  The two models that will accompany the CollectA Deluxe are around 26cm long, more details on the Everything Dinosaur blog site, in articles such as this: Swimming Spinosaurs.

Hope this helps.

So 15"  for the Deluxe and 10 and a quarter inches for the standard, only about a 4" difference between them.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: