News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Triceratops83's Ornithischians- Rebirth from page 14

Started by triceratops83, December 13, 2014, 04:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

as far as i know ELC/Early Learning Center (or Curve?) is a company that just repacks/distributes figures made by other companies like AAA and Nayab(?). yes the white Triceratops (from a set of other solid white retro-ish dinos) is from the early 90s and made by UKRD (but i somewhat remember that there's an AAA logo underneath that figure :\ ).
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

triceratops83

I often see an ELC Triceratops in the style of the Safari Great Dinos on Ebay. Often wondered about it.
Here's a closer shot of the Marginocephalian shelf. Just barely fits now, but later this year the addition of the Battat Pentaceratops, Nasutoceratops, BMOS Styracosaurus and Pachycephalosaurus will burst the dam. I don't want such a nice group of figures bunched in like that - you need room to appreciate beauties like the Safaris.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Shonisaurus

Exceptional collection, indeed the Leptoceratops on the basis that is beside the Medusaceratops of Collecta company belongs to? I do not know

Roselaar

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 06, 2015, 06:58:32 PM
Exceptional collection, indeed the Leptoceratops on the basis that is beside the Medusaceratops of Collecta company belongs to? I do not know

It's the Colorata Protoceratops.

Fabulous herds of Ceratopsians here! :)

triceratops83

Quote from: Roselaar on February 06, 2015, 11:29:22 PM
Fabulous herds of Ceratopsians here! :)

Yeah and I can't wait to see what Safari brings out next year! C'mon Anchiceratops...

Here's a repaint I did for my Niece, Kitty. They are the colours of Larry Lambeosaurus from Dinosaur Train. We get a kick out of Larry - Mr Pteranodon's obnoxious but well meaning Neighbour. I found it difficult to copy a cartoon's simple colouration, so it's not great, but does the trick.

Here's my film collection. I couldn't find a thread where everyone posted their movies, so it'd be interesting to see what other films forum members have.

All of the Godzilla series. A lot of these aren't available in Oz, and this was the chief reason I had to buy a multi-region Bluray player.

Some Prehistory Documentaries and TV docudramas. I have had more in the past, but some are just plain irritating. Some ideas work fine in Science Fiction, but not when promoted as Fact. This is a pretty good cross section.

Papo Parasaurolophus and Pachycephalosaurus.

Ah, found my Favorite Ankylosaurus. I'm not that into ankylosaurs, but I have to say this is my, uh, favourite. I think it is easily the best of the new series.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

triceratops83

WWD Edmontosaurus. I can't pass up glow in the dark figures ::)

Toyway Natural History Museum Corythosaurus.

I wanted to defend this figure, but it's pretty typical of Toyway. The colours are nice, I like the material, but it really doesn't have much going for it other than the fact that is a hadrosaur other than Parasaurolophus. Not a terrible figure, but I was hoping for more. We need a good new Corythosaurus.

DERP! Not the best angle.

sauroid

that is an awesome Corythosaurus.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

triceratops83

Yeah, I feel a bit bad for speaking roughly about it. It certainly has charm, but from some angles it looks a little odd. I thought I'd show a few photos to give people a good look at the figure. I'd only seen it from the one side before. I really like the crest.
The Triceratops is similar regarding the angle of the figure - from the side it looks fine, but looking at it head on gives it a weird perspective, I think the cheeks are too... chipmunky.

Here's a few photos of my other Toyway NHM figures for those that want a better look.

The Carnotaurus. The Base is lower than the other foot, so it is useless. I like it, though. It is inaccurate but has personality.

Doug Watson

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 06, 2015, 06:30:01 AM
I only have cheap bookcases I bought from a discount store. One day, when I've got some money and time, I might set up a proper shelf system. As you can see, the other Ceratopsians are too numerous for their shelf, now - once I find them a new home it can go back to being The Triceratops Wall (with one shelf devoted to Torosaurus - I'm OK with that, they were neighbours in space and time and close relatives). One shelf has a set of Spinosaurus teeth I've always meant to make a case for, but have been too lazy. Also, you'll notice certain empty spaces, like up on the top right - that's waiting for the upcoming Sideshow Trike. And it would be a whole wall if I swapped my wardrobe for the smaller bookcase, but a quirk in the building of the house has a boxed-in support beam that makes for an ill fit in that regard.
This smaller shelf is on the other side of my doorway, and you'll notice I keep glow in the dark figures on the corners facing out, so that I don't knock anything over during the night. That resin skull is a good place to store my sunglasses.

Wow! Now that is a collection! And I think it is displayed beautifully. My collection is squeezed into a couple small displays in my library in one of my work rooms, I dream of a display like this. Do you have any trikes from the 40s, 50s & 60s like Miller, SRG, Marx, Sinclair? That's where my collection starts.

sauroid

i like the NHM Triceratops' goofiness. i wouldnt mind owning one too.

triceratops83

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 11, 2015, 04:06:44 PM
Wow! Now that is a collection! And I think it is displayed beautifully. My collection is squeezed into a couple small displays in my library in one of my work rooms, I dream of a display like this. Do you have any trikes from the 40s, 50s & 60s like Miller, SRG, Marx, Sinclair? That's where my collection starts.

I have a red Marx Trike. Marx is a must have for me. As for Sinclair, I have the "Mold-a-rama" version, the same design except apparently it comes from some supercool vending machine. I've seen Millers on Ebay, but rarely in good condition. With a few exceptions, like the Battat rereleases, I've got most of this year's figures that I want, so probably around Mid-year I may go on an Ebay spree and grab a few vintage figures. Any I get that aren't in great condition I might repaint.
As for the bookcases, I don't think I spent any more than $25 on each of them. I'm a bit worried about how much room I'm going to have left within a couple of years... Do you have wall space available for wall-mounted floating shelves? That's the way I'm going from now on.

Quote from: sauroid on February 11, 2015, 04:14:50 PM
i like the NHM Triceratops' goofiness. i wouldnt mind owning one too.

I quite like it. There's a lot worse around, I'd place it somewhere in the middle on a list of Triceratops figures, I think it gets the silhouette right at least, unlike the first Collecta for example - which looks like a lizard dressed up as a dinosaur in a fifties sci-fi film.

If you're after the Toyway figures, Everythingdinosaur usually has most of them, otherwise you'll need to sign up to the NHM store website. It's a bit of a bother, they keep losing my details, but they post them very quickly.

Doug Watson

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 11, 2015, 04:19:27 PM
I have a red Marx Trike. Marx is a must have for me. As for Sinclair, I have the "Mold-a-rama" version, the same design except apparently it comes from some supercool vending machine. I've seen Millers on Ebay, but rarely in good condition. With a few exceptions, like the Battat rereleases, I've got most of this year's figures that I want, so probably around Mid-year I may go on an Ebay spree and grab a few vintage figures. Any I get that aren't in great condition I might repaint.
As for the bookcases, I don't think I spent any more than $25 on each of them. I'm a bit worried about how much room I'm going to have left within a couple of years... Do you have wall space available for wall-mounted floating shelves? That's the way I'm going from now on.

Space is my problem, I have my clean room upstairs where I do my originals and paint my paint guides and I have my dirty room in the basement with a fume hood where I work on bronzes and make my moulds and do my casting. Pretty much all the wall space in both areas is taken up with storage or display. In my clean room where I have my collection I have three Ikea shelving units just for my natural history library and part of my collection. I also have wall mounted shelves housing my Safari Ltd original sculpts and production samples.  The rest of the house is verboten but someday if I ever finish my Horizon JP dinos I may try to sneak some of those out there.

If you can ever get to the Field Museum in Chicago they have a couple of the original Mold-A-Rama machines pumping out miniature versions of the original Sinclair Dinoland dinosaurs for I think $2 each.  My wife let me get the whole set for little Johnny. Of course little Johnny was me.

triceratops83

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 11, 2015, 04:33:22 PM
Space is my problem

Yeah, it's surprising how quickly a collection eats up space. I wonder who the first person on the forum to buy a tool shed for that purpose will be. I even briefly considered at one point gluing figures to the ceiling :o

Quote from: Doug Watson on February 11, 2015, 04:33:22 PM
If you can ever get to the Field Museum in Chicago they have a couple of the original Mold-A-Rama machines pumping out miniature versions of the original Sinclair Dinoland dinosaurs for I think $2 each.  My wife let me get the whole set for little Johnny. Of course little Johnny was me.

Heh, heh. I'd love to see one of those machines. Do you get to pick or are they chosen at random?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Take up the floor and install really thick plexi...that opens up a lot of space! lol

Wow really? All the ones I've seen on ebay are around 15.00 each. I'd love to have a whole set of them.

Doug Watson

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 11, 2015, 04:40:06 PM
Heh, heh. I'd love to see one of those machines. Do you get to pick or are they chosen at random?

There were only four in total, Brontosaurus, T rex, Stegosaurus & Triceratops and now that I think of it I believe there was one machine for each dino. They are identical to the bigger Sinclair dinos only smaller. The works are under plexi so you watch the whole operation. If your dino doesn't turn out you bring the dud to the security desk and they make an exchange. I have also seen these machines in zoos like the Brookfield in Chicago but those were for extant animals.

Here is a shot of a machine with me doing my impression of a dorky tourist.

Just the machine, can't make out the price but I believe it was $2.

Doug Watson

I just noticed the price in the yellow circle is $1, even better.

Blade-of-the-Moon

wow yeah I totally buy a set for that.  I think in the original set there is also an Ankylosaurus, Trachodon and a Corythosaurus?

triceratops83

I had a more elaborate, wacky Dr Suess style contraption in my mind ::)
That's so cool that each dinosaur has its' own machine, like there'd be a line up for the Triceratops.
Thanks for the pics, Doug!

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 12, 2015, 03:14:51 AM
I think in the original set there is also an Ankylosaurus, Trachodon and a Corythosaurus?

I've been tempted by the Trachodon on Ebay. I've also seen up for bids a Glow In The Dark Tyrannosaurus.

These machines need to be everywhere, they are too cool.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 12, 2015, 03:14:51 AM
wow yeah I totally buy a set for that.  I think in the original set there is also an Ankylosaurus, Trachodon and a Corythosaurus?

That's correct plus there were two versions of the Brontosaurus, one looking straight ahead and one looking behind. Apparently there was only one that was offered originally in large and mini sizes, the Stegosaurus, I have both. The ones from the Field have the dino name and Field Museum Chicago embossed on them, the original Sinclairs have the dino name and either Worlds Fair 1964-65, Sinclair Dinoland or nothing on the opposite side. They were offered at the gas stations as well as the Worlds Fair. There is also a bagged set of six Marx sized hard plastic dinosaurs that were offered at the Fair along with an info booklet. They are different sculpts and quite lovely, I have those as well.

Blade-of-the-Moon

These older pieces are really hard to get..seems I'm outbid every time on ebay for similar items.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: