News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Triceratops83's Ornithischians- Rebirth from page 14

Started by triceratops83, December 13, 2014, 04:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

I live that sleeping hadrosaurus, it's such a unique posture.

triceratops83

Quote from: Loon on October 12, 2020, 04:10:24 AM
I live that sleeping hadrosaurus, it's such a unique posture.

It's head was supposed to be lying flat on the ground, don't know how I managed to raise it, so I guess it's just waking up.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Halichoeres

Quote from: triceratops83 on October 11, 2020, 10:35:15 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on October 11, 2020, 04:23:31 PM
I imagine the resting posture was a bit easier to keep intact in the oven. These are a great way to get species that, as you say, are unlikely to be made soon by our favorite companies. This thread is inspirational--I've long wanted to do the same for some fishes that I think are unlikely to be made, but this is really pushing me to do so sooner rather than later.

Yeah, thought I should practice on a few lying down rather than put pressure on the limbs. I really messed up the Velafrons by standing it up in the oven.

I would LOVE to see some fish sculpted by you, your drawings are amazing.

Thank you, that's so nice! If I do I'll be sure to keep you posted.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

triceratops83

Now that it's stopped raining for the first time in over a month, I can photograph my recent paint jobs.

Here's a Prosaurolophus custom built from a cheap knock-off that I've been procrastinating finishing since September. This is the reason I got into sculpting after I found I could shape reasonably well with Green Stuff. I chopped the old head off and made a completely new one (I also made a new tail, which was a disaster and the reason this has been sitting around for months unfinished) I based it on a picture from Dinosaurs! magazine.

Here's a Tamiya Stegosaurus I made into the one from King Kong. I reshaped some of the plates, added extra spikes to the Thagomizer and gave it a beak. It scales perfectly with my Kong (the Stegosaurus in that movie is HUGE! It's as big as a house - and you can find pics online showing it to be as tall as Kong)

Now here's all the Shapeways stuff I've had sitting around for yonks. I just winged most of these to use up some of the massive amount of tamiya paint I have. Here's the Brachylophosaurus and Gryposaurus by Angie Rodrigues.

Lambeosaurus and Edmontosaurus by Angie Rodrigues

A couple of the many Parasaurolophus by Andrew Sides

Pegomastax and Olorotitan by Manuel Bejarano. My brother's cat was the inspiration for the Heterodontosaur and I think I did a good job of mixing up that orange.

Wild Past Tenontosaurus and GNmodels Baby Parasaurolophus.

VI Models Camptosaurus

VI models Ouranosaurus. Between this and the Battat version I felt justified in getting rid of the horrible Geoworld one.

The Krentz Edmontosaurus, which I decided to leave as is. This is my favourite version of E. annectens, if only it came in 1:35 PVC form.

And finally everything (I think?) I've bought recently.

This is going to be a lousy year of collecting for me, at this point I know of only two Ornithopods to be released in 2021 - the Collecta Kamuysaurus and PNSO Parasaurolophus. Wildcards like PNSO and Nanmu might offer something further off down the track, but I might spend the year trying to improve my sculpting. However, procrastination is my middle name, so we'll see...
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Oh wow, aren't those just the most beautiful Ornithopods (and Heterodontosaur and retro Stegosaur) very well painted, and sculpted in some cases.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Jose S.M.

Beautiful figures! I've been wanting to get some of those from Shapeways but I'm afraid they get broken. My  mail services tend to be really careless with packages.

Faelrin

Wow had no idea Shapeways was a goldmine for some under represented ornithopods. Your custom and original sculpts look good too, and quite the lovely paint jobs on things.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dusty Wren

I kinda really love the pastel colors you used on the Brachylophosaurus, Gryposaurus, Lambeosaurus, and Edmontosaurus. You don't see a lot of dinosaurs in sky blues or mint greens, but it's a very charming look, especially for ornithopods.

Thanks for posting photos of your Shapeways orders, too. I've been thinking about getting some, but it's hard to commit when so few shops have photos of the actual printed figures. 
Check out my customs thread!

triceratops83

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 17, 2021, 12:10:36 PM
Oh wow, aren't those just the most beautiful Ornithopods (and Heterodontosaur and retro Stegosaur) very well painted, and sculpted in some cases.

Thanks!

Quote from: Jose S.M. on January 17, 2021, 01:37:26 PM
Beautiful figures! I've been wanting to get some of those from Shapeways but I'm afraid they get broken. My  mail services tend to be really careless with packages.

avatar_Jose S.M. @Jose S.M.  Shouldn't be a problem - I accidentally ordered an extra Lambeosaurus and was going to customize it to something else, but I couldn't break the crest off, and out of curiosity I tried to bend the tail to see if it would snap but no, these are pretty tough, at least in the basic white, strong and flexible or whatever it's called now.

Quote from: Faelrin on January 17, 2021, 02:44:28 PM
Wow had no idea Shapeways was a goldmine for some under represented ornithopods. Your custom and original sculpts look good too, and quite the lovely paint jobs on things.

Thanks avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Yeah, it's definitely worth having a good look on Shapeways, there's a few artists with a lot of good stuff.

Quote from: Dusty Wren on January 17, 2021, 03:57:52 PM
I kinda really love the pastel colors you used on the Brachylophosaurus, Gryposaurus, Lambeosaurus, and Edmontosaurus. You don't see a lot of dinosaurs in sky blues or mint greens, but it's a very charming look, especially for ornithopods.

Thanks for posting photos of your Shapeways orders, too. I've been thinking about getting some, but it's hard to commit when so few shops have photos of the actual printed figures. 

avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren Thanks! I've always loved it when Forum members show pics of Resin Models and Shapeways to show what they're like and I think I've got a couple here that are pretty new and might convince people to buy them.

Bread

How have I not seen this collection? It is full of beautiful figures. I love hadrosaurs, and your collection is a dream of mine to own! Lovely photos you have here. I could spend quite a bit of time looking through them.

triceratops83

Quote from: Bread on January 17, 2021, 09:13:50 PM
How have I not seen this collection? It is full of beautiful figures. I love hadrosaurs, and your collection is a dream of mine to own! Lovely photos you have here. I could spend quite a bit of time looking through them.

Thanks! It also makes life a hell of a lot easier collecting just one group of animals. And cheaper...

Baryonyx

Thanks for your update Tricerstops83, this is one of my favourite threads! I really like your aesthetic of clean cut colours that are realistically applied and your sculpting is inspiring. Also the photos outdoors are great! It's a great range of Hadrosaurs you have. For the moment I am using the old Schleich Corythosaurus to represent Lambeosaurus Magnicristatus but that Shapeways one is really pretty. Also the Ouranasaurus is a lovely figure and I like the reserved way you have put a little flashiness on the sail!

triceratops83

avatar_Baryonyx @Baryonyx Thanks for the compliments! And yeah, that Corythosaurus really should be called a Lambeosaurus, though it is easily one of the best figures from that old Schleich line. The shapeways Lambeosaurus, by the way, is about basic Collecta size - I forgot to put my little scale figure in the photos.

Smilodon P.

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 17, 2021, 06:42:34 AM
Pegomastax and Olorotitan by Manuel Bejarano. My brother's cat was the inspiration for the Heterodontosaur and I think I did a good job of mixing up that orange.

I took my Pegomastax years ago, but I found the transparent design so good that I never had the courage to paint it.

Jose S.M.

avatar_triceratops83 @triceratops83 thanks! That's great to know, I might jump in and buy some soon. The Pegomastax is one that I've been eyeing for a while.

triceratops83

Quote from: Smilodon P. on January 17, 2021, 10:28:05 PM
I took my Pegomastax years ago, but I found the transparent design so good that I never had the courage to paint it.

Yeah, it makes for a nice, ghostly kinda look.

Quote from: Jose S.M. on January 17, 2021, 10:47:41 PM
avatar_triceratops83 @triceratops83 thanks! That's great to know, I might jump in and buy some soon. The Pegomastax is one that I've been eyeing for a while.

It'll be fine, I've never had a problem with Shapeways packages.

Halichoeres

It's always such a treat when this thread is updated! Wonderful new additions to the herd, especially the ones that have your handiwork behind them. I'm especially partial to the Camptosaurus, very lifelike.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

triceratops83

Thanks avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I always appreciate your enthusiasm and praise! Considering the dearth of Ornithopod figures this year, I'm gonna have to get busy and work on my sculpting to keep this thread alive!

ceratopsian

A great pleasure to see your update.  I've been debating some of the Sides' Parasaurolophus myself (small version) and haven't yet quite decided!  I like the vivid stripes you chose.

The Krentz Edmontosaurus looks beautiful left untouched.  Very striking.

Let's hope that PNSO has a few more ornithopods up their (very long at the moment) sleeves.  I would love to see more too this year.

triceratops83

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 18, 2021, 09:52:48 AM
A great pleasure to see your update.  I've been debating some of the Sides' Parasaurolophus myself (small version) and haven't yet quite decided!  I like the vivid stripes you chose.

Thanks! I was toying with the idea of getting the whole Para herd, but that seemed a tad expensive. Plus, they all look male - I probably would've gave in and got the lot if it was a more obviously mixed herd.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.