News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - New for 2015

Started by DinoLord, December 18, 2014, 09:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arul

You mean there will be a second half ? I hope so...

kreativtek

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 27, 2014, 11:26:51 AM
Quote from: kreativtek on December 27, 2014, 09:22:25 AM
Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on December 27, 2014, 01:10:23 AM
About the size of the figures, I don't think we can go by the pics in their catalog. I agree with Blade, the Plesiosaurus, and for that matter, the Tupuxuara, just look too big compared to the sauropods.

It also states in their catalog, "Appearance may vary from pictures."

I think it is no coincidence that Apatosaurus and Brachiosaurus were put on the same page. Their heads and feet are very similar in size, which suggests that the picture represents their actual appearance.

I really hope so, especially since Papo is releasing only 2 models in the first half of the year (March for Europe and May for U.S?). I really don't see any point in having the Papo Apato span 2 pages worth...it must be big... there are certainly ways that Papo can sell large sauropods for cheap (e.g. hollow plastic similar to Schleich's Apatosaurus).

It is more or less confirmed that a Papo Giganotosaurus release is being planned in the near future. My estimate...Sept 2015.

But would they release a catalog if they were to add new figures throughout the year? Do you recall what was it like two years ago when Papo introduced a bunch of new models?

SpartanSquat

I hope you are right man! I think Papo delayed Giganotosaurus for Jurassic World, despite the mini model is not albino like d-rex. Probably they will release an albino Carcharodontosaurus.

Manatee

Where was a Giganotosaurus more or less confirmed?

triceratops83

Quote from: Manatee on December 27, 2014, 12:57:59 PM

A Giganotosaurus-like mystery figure turned up in Papo's upcoming mini dino tub. Stands out because all of the other minis are based on the larger existing figures. Hey, this just occurred to me - maybe they did it to shut everyone up. "Ugh, you want a Giganotosaurus? Fine here's one, now leave us alone!"
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Manatee

Quote from: triceratops83 on December 27, 2014, 01:49:45 PM

A Giganotosaurus-like mystery figure turned up in Papo's upcoming mini dino tub. Stands out because all of the other minis are based on the larger existing figures. Hey, this just occurred to me - maybe they did it to shut everyone up. "Ugh, you want a Giganotosaurus? Fine here's one, now leave us alone!"
Do you mean the 2014 mini dino tub? That one contains a Tyrannosaurus, "Velociraptor", Brachiosaurus, Stegosaurus, Spinosaurus, and Triceratops.

SpartanSquat

Quote from: Manatee on December 27, 2014, 02:13:27 PM
Quote from: triceratops83 on December 27, 2014, 01:49:45 PM

Do you mean the 2014 mini dino tub? That one contains a Tyrannosaurus, "Velociraptor", Brachiosaurus, Stegosaurus, Spinosaurus, and Triceratops.
I think he is reffering to this new one.

Megalosaurus

That minis look so ugly. Need to see them in better pictures.
Only the dimetrodon looks half decent to me.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Meso-Cenozoic

Thank you, kreativtek, for the great pic of those Minis! So you downloaded the catalog first. Very clever. Hehe! Yeah, I just screen-captured them. I hope you're right about the Apato's size. Although to me, it actually looks a bit big compared to the Brachio. But we shall see soon enough! :)

I actually kind of like the crudeness of the Minis. I got the first Mini Tub, and they do look a little better in person. But there's something sort of endearing about their rough retro-like sculpts. I'll be getting these too. As far as what figures they represent, my guesses are: Allosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Dimetrodon, Giganotosaurus, Carnotaurus (Look at the arms and the short boxy snout! I also see two horns above his eyes.), and lastly Pteranodon (Without teeth I do believe!). So if I'm correct, Papo has already made big figures of all these except for the Giga. So I'm guessing we'll be seeing a full-size fig in the near future. I personally don't think there will be any more new 2015 figures, since the catalog has been completed and out now. I simply think we're getting two figures instead of three this coming year because the Apato is so BIG! (I hope!!) ;D

So anyway, I work in the theatre. And as I kept looking back at the Tupuxuara, a little voice in my head kept yelling, "MAKEUP!" Hehe!!

tanystropheus

Papo had released figures off-cycle (e.g. Euoplocephalus), delayed (e.g. Oviraptor) and season specials (e.g. brown running T-rex) and I don't believe the current catalog is representative of all upcoming figures. It only shows a sample of the line-up (e.g. Nessie, Mosasaur, Apato, and Brachio) and not the entire lot. A late 2015 release of Giga is not outside the realm of possibilities.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 27, 2014, 10:08:19 PM
Papo had released figures off-cycle (e.g. Euoplocephalus), delayed (e.g. Oviraptor) and season specials (e.g. brown running T-rex) and I don't believe the current catalog is representative of all upcoming figures. It only shows a sample of the line-up (e.g. Nessie, Mosasaur, Apato, and Brachio) and not the entire lot. A late 2015 release of Giga is not outside the realm of possibilities.

You're right! So there's still a chance. Very good observation!

Edit:
I do find it interesting that they made a Giga mini instead of an Apato mini, since they do now have a full-size Apato. That way they would've had mini representations of their current full-size pieces. So maybe that does mean a full-size Giga will be included in their current figure lineup sooner than later! :D

DinoLord

Good point about the off-cycle releases. Do you recall roughly when in the year those were announced?

Takama

FRom what i know. Releases that come out late in the year are always pieces that will be released the following one. so they should be counted as figures for that following year.

tanystropheus

I think Papo revealed/announced the Euoplocephalus around Feb/March...a few months after unveiling the original batch of new models....but I can't quite remember the timeframe.

Manatee

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on December 27, 2014, 10:22:17 PM

You're right! So there's still a chance. Very good observation!

Edit:
I do find it interesting that they made a Giga mini instead of an Apato mini, since they do now have a full-size Apato. That way they would've had mini representations of their current full-size pieces. So maybe that does mean a full-size Giga will be included in their current figure lineup sooner than later! :D
Alright then, I guess an off-cycle or 2016 Giga is likely coming soon. I personally think Papo would do a great job of doing a Giga, if their wonderful Allosaurus is any indication.

Meso-Cenozoic

Here's a nice BIG full-size pic of the Apato I put together from the catalog's PDF file. To see its full original size, be sure to click the zoom icon to "View Image", and then 'right click' on that image to "View Image" again and hit the "plus zoom sign". You'll then see it HUGE! (Sorry if all that was a bit redundant! :P )

Edit:
Hmm, that's weird. I wonder why it's not going to my Photobucket page anymore so you can see the original big pic I have there??

SpartanSquat

When Euoplocephalus/Ankylosaurus was released? I think Oviraptor was released as a special exclusive temporal from a french shop like Coelodonta, Mammoth and Tylosaurus. Probably it will be at the end of the year.

tanystropheus

Quote from: RolandEden on December 28, 2014, 02:06:08 AM
When Euoplocephalus/Ankylosaurus was released? I think Oviraptor was released as a special exclusive temporal from a french shop like Coelodonta, Mammoth and Tylosaurus. Probably it will be at the end of the year.

I don't remember, but I do recall that the Papo Euoplocephalus was announced separately from all the other dinosaurs.

kreativtek

You got me excited, guys. Now that I know that Papo has a tendency to release unannounced models, I have high hopes for a Giganotosaurus. Mike from Everything Dinosaur said himself that the company may show off new figures when they will meet up in the New Year.

I keep my fingers crossed! While I love standing T-rex and Spinosaurus, I believe that Papo's collection of large theropods could use an refresh. The running T-rex is a good one, but with its strange-looking teeth and battle scars all over the body, it looks more like a designer's fantasy than an actual animal.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on December 26, 2014, 10:15:24 PM
That saggy baggy Apatosaurus looks like it came off the pages of All Yesterdays----which I highly recommend to anyone who hasn't read it. And it's why I prefer CollectA product over Papo. The latter is way ahead in terms of sculpted detail, but I find their dinosaurs too conservative and dull. Give me feathers, feathers, and more feathers!

I'm sure that you would have been more impressed if Papo delivered an Apatosaurus replete with (obligatory) feathers. Unfortunately, Papo is too conservative and dull.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: