News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR Club Selection: "Jolly" the hatchling triceratops!

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, December 24, 2014, 03:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petebuster1

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 11, 2015, 06:21:01 PM
@petebuster1. Please avoid disrespectful misrepresentative phrases such as "drivelled on". Thank you C:-)
[/quo
8) :-X :-\ C:-)

Blade-of-the-Moon

petebuster1

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 11, 2015, 06:48:34 PM
eh...see the accuracy issues with Jolly do not revolve around colors but rather three rather direct issues.
A) The egg in the sculpt is clearly and obviouly too small for the intended subject.
B) The egg is incorrectly shaped
C) The egg demonstrates no surface patterning, or for that matter where the shell is peeled , there is no internal structure or thickness for the shell either.
D) If I wished to get really picky I would ask why the dinosaur has pre formed horns while inside the shell....not an expert at the topic but I would assume the slightest movement of the head...and CRACKKKK goes the shell containing chick, allowing its fluids and moisture content to disippate, as well as allowing insects in. While this one is not something I am expert at, common sense would suggest without too much thinking that arrangement probably isnt going to turn out real well.
I do think Tyrannt queen also suggested the hands are incorrect, and from how they are shown it would at least at a glance appear the dinosaur has pronated hands.....but none of these problems with this museum accurate, highly realistic and well researched model have anything to do with its colors
oh come on get real did they really intend this to be accurate? NO come on, common sense please?  i haven't bought one its not my cup of tea but does it say it on the tin? you can takes things too literal

DinoLord

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 11, 2015, 11:44:40 PMoh come get real did they really intend this to accurate? -NO come on common sense?  i haven't bought one its not my cup of tea but does it say it on the tin?

Fair enough. Though attention to accuracy is one of the things that distinguishes a great company from a good one IMO.

petebuster1

Quote from: DinoLord on January 11, 2015, 11:46:50 PM
Quote from: petebuster1 on January 11, 2015, 11:44:40 PMoh come get real did they really intend this to accurate? -NO come on common sense?  i haven't bought one its not my cup of tea but does it say it on the tin?

Fair enough. Though attention to accuracy is one of the things that distinguishes a great company from a good one IMO.
I'd rather have a less accurate model that is realistic and more appealing than an accurate looking toy or an over priced model that you'll get bored of looking at after a few months of walking past it and forgets it there (after the first few weeks of excitement)  ;D but each to their own, their next ones out very shortly so we'll see how many holes you can all pick in that one. I dont work for them i just appreciate what they've produced for those suspicious minds

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 11, 2015, 11:44:40 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 11, 2015, 06:48:34 PM
eh...see the accuracy issues with Jolly do not revolve around colors but rather three rather direct issues.
A) The egg in the sculpt is clearly and obviouly too small for the intended subject.
B) The egg is incorrectly shaped
C) The egg demonstrates no surface patterning, or for that matter where the shell is peeled , there is no internal structure or thickness for the shell either.
D) If I wished to get really picky I would ask why the dinosaur has pre formed horns while inside the shell....not an expert at the topic but I would assume the slightest movement of the head...and CRACKKKK goes the shell containing chick, allowing its fluids and moisture content to disippate, as well as allowing insects in. While this one is not something I am expert at, common sense would suggest without too much thinking that arrangement probably isnt going to turn out real well.
I do think Tyrannt queen also suggested the hands are incorrect, and from how they are shown it would at least at a glance appear the dinosaur has pronated hands.....but none of these problems with this museum accurate, highly realistic and well researched model have anything to do with its colors
oh come on get real did they really intend this to be accurate? NO come on, common sense please?  i haven't bought one its not my cup of tea but does it say it on the tin? you can takes things too literal
I am not seeing much honest seperation between their pieces that are intended to be accurate and those that arent and perhaps that is the issue. We have Yutyrannus the feathered tyrannosaur, that seems to be lacking feathers, A jurassic park style Tyrannosaurus with a rather badly mishapen head, and now Jolly the incredibly inaccurate hatchling. I am unsure where common sense enters this...the line has claimed over and over and over that everything produced is museum level based on the latest research and I am not seeing this criteria met in any piece, wether it says it on the tin or nor...(not sure what that phrase even means) To me it would be common sense to release semi accurate models if that is how you intend to advertise and if you not, then admit you are producing heaviy stylized toys. Then again common sense is just not common anymore is it?
So now in considering this companys offerings I am also forced to attempt to interpret wether they intend the piece to be accurate or not, and if they did , in what ways does it fail to meet the mark. ..........
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

petebuster1

Personally i don't worry about their claims, i will judge on the models themselves but at the same time they should make clear what they are producing and not say its something it clearly isn't, they are new and will have a website soon so lets see what happens. I'm sure they take on board what people are saying.

triceratops83

Is anyone else having trouble posting in the Rebor Utahraptor thread? It claims to need a response of eighty characters or less, but won't allow that either, then stops you from responding.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Arul

I have no problem with posting on there

This sideshow's little brother is not over yet..

tyrantqueen

Gwangi

I'm actually a little excited for the Ceratosaurus. If there is any theropod that can lend itself well to REBOR's style it's Ceratosaurus. Carnotaurus too I suppose but I think they would have a greater chance of messing that one up.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Gwangi on January 15, 2015, 03:12:34 PM
I'm actually a little excited for the Ceratosaurus. If there is any theropod that can lend itself well to REBOR's style it's Ceratosaurus. Carnotaurus too I suppose but I think they would have a greater chance of messing that one up.
Indeed, much like Papo, I think Rebor can do an amazing job on scaly dinosaurs (I would love to see a Herrerasaurus or a Panphagia from them). This Ceratosaurus could be very cool (as long as it isn't based on the JP3 one, that is) :).

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Patrx

Hey, that could be pretty nice! Ceratosaurus certainly lends itself to REBOR's sensibilities more than most dinosaurs. Continuing the trend toward really bulky legs, though.

Concavenator

tyrantqueen

DinoToyForum

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 15, 2015, 01:38:29 PM
Is anyone else having trouble posting in the Rebor Utahraptor thread? It claims to need a response of eighty characters or less, but won't allow that either, then stops you from responding.

Weird, if it continues, pm me.  :)

Concavenator

That Ceratosaurus looks pretty awesome at least what we've seen of it.

triceratops83

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 15, 2015, 03:51:26 PM
Weird, if it continues, pm me.  :)

Thanks. My curiosity's satisfied now, that Ceratosaurus looks like it might be Rebor's hit theropod. I think their detailed sculpting will be more suited to ceratosaurs rather than ceolurosaurs.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Megalosaurus

This is a bittersweet flavor to me.
For one side, I love ceratosaurs.
For the other side, Another theropod? 4 theropods vs 1 ceratopsian is not fair. Poor Jolly. And this  nontheropod is  only a limited edition, so its not part of the regular line.

I'm glad that REBOR is throwing several figures per year, so I hope they start producing other types of dinosaurs soon.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: