News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR Club Selection: "Jolly" the hatchling triceratops!

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, December 24, 2014, 03:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

This thread is also about the teased utahraptor, not just the triceratops.

I don't know if that was the intention, but I find both of your above responses to be rather aggressive.

tyrantqueen

Quoteyes there is, and its already been gone over many many times, its yust that some people here seem to be so in love with REBOR that they want to change the real animals to look like the REBOR ones
I agree.

CityRaptor

True true.

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 10, 2015, 02:43:28 PM
I don't see how Safari can be called Mediocre. I've kept my mouth shut on the subject of Rebor Theropods, but I don't think it's necessary to dismiss all other dinosaur figures in favour of them. Frankly, I think this topic is being kept intentionally controversial. It's like going to a message board on a movie news site and whinging about people who watch movies that aren't the same three that said person likes. If you don't like dinosaur toys you're in the wrong place. I stand by the "...cheap, mediacore detailed toys from safari or any other company...".

Well, there is reason why Tyrant Lizard Queen has been banned for being a trouble maker.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Paleogene Pals

All this bashing of other companies in favor of REBOR is starting to get under my skin. This is not a situation of "if you like this then you can't like that." Everyone has their merits and their weaknesses. Jolly is a cute little piece, and I will probably get it because it is cute (yeah I'm a guy and I just said it!) But, I also have two, maybe three, Sideshow pieces on order, because I think they are amazing and set the gold standard. And, slinging around comments like this company or that is mediocre or just plain crappy isn't gonna win you any friends on this forum!

Blade-of-the-Moon

A quick note to dissuade any mudslinging here. Moderators are watching.

Paleogene Pals

tyrantqueen

I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet, but "Jolly" seems to have incorrect hands. Any thoughts?

Megalosaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 10, 2015, 04:13:08 PM
This thread is also about the teased utahraptor, not just the triceratops.
I'm sorry I forgot that part because the tittle of the thread doesn't tell anything about that, and didn't read again the past posts, only the news to me.

Now I wonder if this new figure will fall in the "feathered monster" or in a more gracile, natural representation of the animal.

Really I'm not even convinced by the second image, but it is at least a bit more natural.
And well I'm not excited by this new Utha, but I'll decide when pictures are revelated.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Paleogene Pals

Megalosaurus, your picture is hilarious, "Don't worry about this, whatever it is."

Gwangi

Judging by their track record thus far and the silhouette they gave us, I'm going with "feathered monster". Hopefully they prove me wrong. Done right, it would be something I would have to buy. We know they probably won't though. Prove me wrong REBOR!

Blade-of-the-Moon

If only they could make one like the feathered Velociraptor we've been waiting on from Master Fossil/Griffon... :-/

Manatee

I just really want a dromaeosaurid/troodontid that literally looks like a big bird from any company. Doesn't matter which one.

stargatedalek

I want a troodon with facial discs, the characteristic ear placement makes it near certain that they were present but I've only rarely seen it depicted.

triceratops83

I think Rebor needs to do some herbivorous dinosaurs in their 1:35 scale range. It'll steer them away from controversial theropods and give a more relaxed area for criticism. The Triceratops may not be totally accurate but so far IMO is their best figure, not Jurassicparky or awesome monstery, just a little dinosaur. I think they will win more votes if they do a "boring" dinosaur in a naturalistic and accurate manner.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Takama

Don't expect them to do anything EXOTIC .   I got that advice from Dan of Dans Dinosaurs

petebuster1

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 11, 2015, 01:52:21 AM
I think Rebor needs to do some herbivorous dinosaurs in their 1:35 scale range. It'll steer them away from controversial theropods and give a more relaxed area for criticism. The Triceratops may not be totally accurate but so far IMO is their best figure, not Jurassicparky or awesome monstery, just a little dinosaur. I think they will win more votes if they do a "boring" dinosaur in a naturalistic and accurate manner.

jolly not for me but can't wait for their larger version when they do it, i do hope they make them as accurate as possible (might quiet some accuracy perfectionists) but when colours are nothing more than guesswork how can anyone be accurate?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: petebuster1 on January 11, 2015, 04:57:47 PM
Quote from: triceratops83 on January 11, 2015, 01:52:21 AM

jolly not for me but can't wait for their larger version when they do it, i do hope they make them as accurate as possible (might quiet some accuracy perfectionists) but when colours are nothing more than guesswork how can anyone be accurate?
The company claims to be museum accurate, but their work does not live up to that claim. Calling them out on that does not make someone an "accuracy perfectionist".

petebuster1

True and they should change that claim unless they are going to produce otherwise and some have driveled on about the lack of feathers rather than any claims they make but i do feel some are being highly over critical to a new company who have produced two very highly detailed and very well painted models, now i don't what they have coming but i think they have a chance to produce high end models that are different and far more affordable than high end expensive alternatives. Add to fact you could build a diorama around these adds to their interest as their size isn't too big.
Of course you can do this with others and i don't believe in putting them down, papo and others have produced some great models but i think these are a step up.
For me i'll judge them on the models they produce rather than whats written on the tin.

DinoToyForum

@petebuster1. Please avoid disrespectful misrepresentative phrases such as "drivelled on". Thank you C:-)

amargasaurus cazaui

eh...see the accuracy issues with Jolly do not revolve around colors but rather three rather direct issues.
A) The egg in the sculpt is clearly and obviouly too small for the intended subject.
B) The egg is incorrectly shaped
C) The egg demonstrates no surface patterning, or for that matter where the shell is peeled , there is no internal structure or thickness for the shell either.
D) If I wished to get really picky I would ask why the dinosaur has pre formed horns while inside the shell....not an expert at the topic but I would assume the slightest movement of the head...and CRACKKKK goes the shell containing chick, allowing its fluids and moisture content to disippate, as well as allowing insects in. While this one is not something I am expert at, common sense would suggest without too much thinking that arrangement probably isnt going to turn out real well.
I do think Tyrannt queen also suggested the hands are incorrect, and from how they are shown it would at least at a glance appear the dinosaur has pronated hands.....but none of these problems with this museum accurate, highly realistic and well researched model have anything to do with its colors
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: