News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2016 Hopes & Dreams

Started by Concavenator, January 10, 2015, 12:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Great news about the Agujaceratops!  :)) Thank you Dan!

DinoLord

Personally I hope for more Battat sauropods for the MOS line. Some Chinese dinosaurs like Mamenchisaurus, Shantungosaurus, and Gasosaurus (to name a few) would also welcomed in whatever line their size makes them suited for.

darth daniel

Quote from: DinoLord on February 08, 2015, 07:21:29 PM
Personally I hope for more Battat sauropods for the MOS line. Some Chinese dinosaurs like Mamenchisaurus, ...

+1. I´d love to have a decent 1:40 model of Mamenchisaurus. Another model I´d love to have is Euhelopus. It´s not too large for a toy, I´ve never seen a toy of it and most of its skeleton is known, even the head which also looks quite unique. Just no strange poses like rearing or turned necks, making the figure look backwards please...

Quen

Personally I hope for more Battat sauropods for the MOS line.

I also second this and the Mamenchisaurus request. I would also like to see more species with few or no plastic representations, such as Isisaurus.
For Battat Terra, maybe Ampelosaurus, Magyarosaurus, or Vulcanodon.
From Carnegie, an updated Apatosaurus would be lovely; though, I hope it wouldn't feature that light green color.
From Wild Safari, I would like to see a Diplodocus or Barosaurus in the same scale as the Apatosaurus.
From Papo, while I doubt they'll make another sauropod so soon, I would still like an Amargasaurus or a Diplodocus with spiny dorsal scales; on a more likely note, I think they could make a decent spiny-tailed stegasaur, like Miragaia, as long as they find good reference material.
From Kaiyodo, again, I request a sauropod set.
From Favorite, more sauropods like the Tamba, please.

loru1588

Quote from: Quendrega on February 08, 2015, 11:55:56 PM

I also second this and the Mamenchisaurus request. I would also like to see more species with few or no plastic representations, such as Isisaurus.
From Carnegie, an updated Apatosaurus would be lovely; though, I hope it wouldn't feature that light green color.
From Wild Safari, I would like to see a Diplodocus or Barosaurus in the same scale as the Apatosaurus.
From Papo, while I doubt they'll make another sauropod so soon, I would still like an Amargasaurus or a Diplodocus with spiny dorsal scales; on a more likely note, I think they could make a decent spiny-tailed stegasaur, like Miragaia, as long as they find good reference material.

The Battat Terra Series is limited to 5" to 9" toys in 1:40th scale which means the dinosaurs should be in the 5-9 meter range. The sauropods you mentioned would be too large for the Terra Series but would fit in the former MOS Boston Series.

Quen

Quote from: loru1588 on February 09, 2015, 12:18:11 AM
The Battat Terra Series is limited to 5" to 9" toys in 1:40th scale which means the dinosaurs should be in the 5-9 meter range. The sauropods you mentioned would be too large for the Terra Series but would fit in the former MOS Boston Series.

Oops! That's what I get for using Wikipedia.  ::)

sauroid

just wondering, if any brand would make a 1:40 Mamenchisaurus, could the Dino Expo Mamenchi (hope a lot of you are familiar with this figure) pass for a juvenile?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: loru1588 on February 09, 2015, 12:18:11 AM
Quote from: Quendrega on February 08, 2015, 11:55:56 PM

That's the size limits I was trying to stick to. So my two dino suggestions should work out fine. Centrosaurus is about 6 meters, and Irritator is about 8 meters. Another ceratopsian that would be very unique to the toy figure lines (in fact I can't think of any other major company ever having one) would be Einiosaurus. From all the different sites I've looked through, he seems to have been as small as 4.5 meters to as big as 6 meters. Mostly I've been seeing up to 20 feet, which is just under 6 meters.

As far as shorter sauropods in that range, I found this list...

Shortest sauropods

A list of all sauropods measuring 9 m (30 ft) or less in length.

Ohmdenosaurus liasicus: 4 m (13 ft)
    Lirainosaurus astibiae: 4–6 m (13–20 ft)
    Blikanasaurus cromptoni: 5 m (16 ft)
    Magyarosaurus dacus: 6 m (20 ft)
    Europasaurus holgeri: 6.2 m (20 ft)
    Isanosaurus attavipachi: 6.5 m (21 ft)
    Vulcanodon karibaensis: 6.5–11 m (21–36 ft)
    Neuquensaurus australis: 7 m (23 ft)
    Antetonitrus ingenipes: 8–10 m (26–33 ft)
    Shunosaurus lii: 8.7–11 m (29–36 ft)
    Zizhongosaurus chuanchengensis: 9 m (30 ft)
    Algoasaurus bauri: 9 m (30 ft)
    Kotasaurus yamanpalliensis: 9 m (30 ft)
    Volkheimeria chubutensis: 9 m (30 ft)
    Zapalasaurus bonapartei: 9 m (30 ft)
    Tazoudasaurus naimi: 9–10 m (30–33 ft)
    Nigersaurus taqueti: 9–14.1 m (30–46 ft)

tanystropheus

Quote from: sauroid on February 09, 2015, 02:38:28 AM
just wondering, if any brand would make a 1:40 Mamenchisaurus, could the Dino Expo Mamenchi (hope a lot of you are familiar with this figure) pass for a juvenile?

I hope REBOR makes a 1/35 Mamenchisaurus because I'm pretty sure Papo never will. They skimped on that Apato's scale. It is a gorgeous model that could have been so much more if it was a deluxe. Mamenchi was my favorite sauropod when I was a kid.

Daspletodave

I know it's a long shot, but it would be nice to see some company do some of the smaller, ignored dinosaurs, such as Coelurus, Compsognathus, Coelophysis, Ornithomimus, Troodon, Lesothosaurus/Fabrosaurus, Heterodontosaurus, and Hypsilophodon.
They'd be too small for 1/40 scale, so would probably have to be done in 1/20 or 1/10 scale.
I'm sure everybody else on the forum has their own "small" dino they'd like to see in plastic too.

Tallin

Definitely! I would love some early dinosaurs from the Triassic, Eoraptor or eodromaeus, with other small creatures like Silesaurus as well as the big archosaurs of the time.

suspsy

I think a couple of people have already suggested to CollectA that they follow up their 1:4 Guidraco with Microraptor and Compsognathus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

suspsy

And here's another dinosaur that definitely warrants a toy---hopefully it'll have a name before 2016.

http://www.krank.ie/category/sci/nat/new-abelisaur-found-in-africa-was-t-rex-sized/

triceratops83

Quote from: suspsy on February 22, 2015, 03:44:03 AM
And here's another dinosaur that definitely warrants a toy---hopefully it'll have a name before 2016.

Maybe they're just overestimating its' size like with Ekrixinatosaurus. I think Abelisaurs look scary enough without being supersized.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

suspsy

Impossible to say for sure at this point. But there's no reason why an abelisaur couldn't evolve to near-tyrannosaur size.

triceratops83

It'd be great to know how abelisaurs lived. Some say they were suited to chasing small prey with quick bites and others say clamped onto larger prey items. Plus, some of them at least seem to have reduced hind limbs, reducing their ability to chase quick moving prey. They're still a bit of a mystery.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

sauroid

perhaps they were wait and prey/ambush predators
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

stargatedalek

Quote from: triceratops83 on February 23, 2015, 02:48:44 PM
It'd be great to know how abelisaurs lived. Some say they were suited to chasing small prey with quick bites and others say clamped onto larger prey items. Plus, some of them at least seem to have reduced hind limbs, reducing their ability to chase quick moving prey. They're still a bit of a mystery.
All of those are likely true actually - for different species of abelisaurs ;)
They may all look fairly similar but the differences between are vast. Carnotaurus with its long legs and hatchet like upper skull was a sprinter, chasing down prey and swinging its head downwards towards it. Whereas majungasaurus with its short limbs and robust body and skull was a closed quarters brawler, likely ambushing its prey and fighting it head on.

triceratops83

I wonder if Abelisaurs would have provided Tyrannosaurs with competition had land bridges brought them together, or if they could have co-existed in different niches?

suspsy

Abelisaurs weren't anywhere near as powerful as tyrannosaurs, so if they had interacted, it would probably be similar to black bears vs brown bears in North America. Whenever the two species interact, the brown bears always send the black bears packing. Or leave them dead.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: