News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Jurassic World (Hasbro) - new for 2015

Started by EmperorDinobot, January 15, 2015, 05:22:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

A member on JPL said it would be in the film...I do hope not. It's a bit too much cheese.

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 16, 2015, 01:21:15 AM
A member on JPL said it would be in the film...I do hope not. It's a bit too much cheese.

TJ_Terrorsaur

What horrible B movie did these crawl out of? When I first saw the thread I was hoping for some toys like the Allosaurus that was released right after JP-3D. I was hoping for some really neat looking figures of D-Rex and the others, cool looking raptors perhaps like the old Kenner line. That was all before I clicked the link and got hit in the face with a frying pan. When I saw the first glimpse of the Rex I was disheartened and even said out loud "is it wearing lipstick?" The others just look ugly and sadly unless these change I won't be buying most to any of these.
The spinosaurus looks like a zombie! I even said "behold the zombie spino from movies passed". It looks like it's ill and or is zombie like. I love my bright dinosaurs but...the spino just looks sick. As for the Chaos Effect knock offs I cringe at the thought. I love love loved the Chaos Effect line and I in fact almost have all of the dinosaurs from it.

Quote from: Megalosaurus on January 15, 2015, 04:42:47 PM
Did you notice the "Pachyaurus"?
I'd like to se that "Pachyaurus" and Allosaurus closer.

Stegoceratops OMG!!! Hasbro, please take my money and bring back the Ultimasaurus.

I know right? I would buy up the Ultimasaurus in a heartbeat....didn't he get scrapped because he might have been too sharp for kids?

At any rate these look sad, sick, and ugly and unless they get a revamp before release day I won't be buying any. Also whats up with the JP logo? This one looks all stencil-y. Not nice and neat like the others did.

Now...I'm going to go hug one of my Kenner Dinosaurs and play a game to cheer me up.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I can't believe these are official. The only ones I'd buy are the first rex, the better raptors, and "Bad Boy". I've been hoping for the longest time that the JP/// repaints would not be done again, but now they would have been better than most of these sculpts. I also agree that there should be dino-damage patches, so they don't all look wounded. I had high hopes, however does it state how old these are? They could have been the earliest designs which have been changed. That's probably wishful thinking, though.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gryphoceratops

Sad.  I had my hopes we would see more toys of the recent Pachyrhino and Allosaurus' quality from the most recent wave.  The dimorphodon, although inaccurate, looks like it could be a cool toy.  I'm most interested to see how the Ceratosaurus turns out. 

Wonder if they will include hatchlings with the human figures?

EmperorDinobot

I kind of like the Spinosaurus...I mean he's ugly in a cute way.

8)

Meso-Cenozoic

EmperorDinobot

But they better be articulated and in scale with former JP human figures.

Meso-Cenozoic

Yeah, I know. It would only really work for figures like Papo makes. But these guys for the most part are really bad. :-[

*EDIT*
Sorry, forgot to ask... Is that "Bad Boy" the new secret hybrid D-rex?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on January 16, 2015, 03:45:07 AM
Yeah, I know. It would only really work for figures like Papo makes. But these guys for the most part are really bad. :-[

*EDIT*
Sorry, forgot to ask... Is that "Bad Boy" the new secret hybrid D-rex?

Yes. It's also possible called I-Rex now. I can see Pratt dubbing it " Bad Boy" in the film though after Howard's character tells him they called it Indominus Rex.  lol

Meso-Cenozoic

Oh OK, that's what I thought. Thanks, Chris. It's a pretty cool looking prehistoric movie monster. ;)

Yeah, I also remember it was called something else, but couldn't think of it. Do we know yet what Indominus means; what it refers to?

ChrisLikesDinosaurs

I think a certain amount of criticism of these toys, especially of the large T-Rex is fair.

Jurassic Park is a brand, and it's Dinosaurs are characters. They visually have a distinct flair and style to them, and stand out from the rest. In the past, most Jurassic Park branded items have captured this look and feel- one look at a Dinosaur that appeared in the film and you knew what it was from. Even as a kid.

The issue is, the large T-Rex completely lacks any consistency with the brands key looks. The Jurassic Park T-Rex has an especially unique and recognizable head, something completely absent in this new toy. It could easily fit in with 'Dinosaur Train' or another high quality childs Dinosaur line. If you saw it in a catalog by itself you wouldn't immediately know it was 'Jurassic'. I believe this a major marketing and branding misstep.

Universal and Hasbro doesn't want Jurassic World/Park to be a Dinosaur line, they want it to be THE Dinosaur line. If they want to achieve this, the toys should be a step above the rest and reflect their on-screen counterparts. Otherwise they get lost in the sea of other random Dinosaur toys. As a child, I wanted 'real' Dinosaurs, and not super stylized and 'inaccurate' toys. Hasbro/Universal underestimates child Dinosaur fans, and what they would like to see IMO.

kreativtek

I am not really sure if we are allowed to judge these toys only by the leaked images They most likely show early prototypes and models that could've been cancelled before they even went into production.

But if I were to say if I like them or not, I would agree with ChrisLikesDinosaurs' post above. Toys seem to lack the character that I've always loved about the original models the most (the ones released between 1993 and 1998). Some part of me has high hopes that Hasbro will release a large rubbery T-rex, but that is not going to happen, I am afraid.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: kreativtek on January 16, 2015, 07:28:02 AM
I am not really sure if we are allowed to judge these toys only by the leaked images They most likely show early prototypes and models that could've been cancelled before they even went into production.

But if I were to say if I like them or not, I would agree with ChrisLikesDinosaurs' post above. Toys seem to lack the character that I've always loved about the original models the most (the ones released between 1993 and 1998). Some part of me has high hopes that Hasbro will release a large rubbery T-rex, but that is not going to happen, I am afraid.

Sure they will..just a rather cheap looking hand puppet. :/

As I've said since I first posted my impressions..these just aren't JP dinosaurs..only a couple bear any superficial resemblance to the ones on screen. You pay for a license, use it. Or let someone else have it.

Meso-Cenozoic

I also agree that these new toys (if they stay the way they are in these pics) are missing the identifiable JPisms the earlier toys recognizably had.

BTW, to answer my own question about the origins of the name Indominus, I found it in a link in the Jurassic World thread.... the name Indominus Rex translates into Untamable or Fierce King. Just in case anybody else missed it. :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on January 16, 2015, 08:08:24 AM
I also agree that these new toys (if they stay the way they are in these pics) are missing the identifiable JPisms the earlier toys recognizably had.

BTW, to answer my own question about the origins of the name Indominus, I found it in a link in the Jurassic World thread.... the name Indominus Rex translates into Untamable or Fierce King. Just in case anybody else missed it. :)

Exactly.

Ah from " Indomitable " I suppose..can't be dominated. Now we need a T-Rex in leather with a whip to take him down..  ;D

Meso-Cenozoic

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 16, 2015, 08:11:38 AM

Exactly.

Ah from " Indomitable " I suppose..can't be dominated. Now we need a T-Rex in leather with a whip to take him down..  ;D

LOL! That would be a lotta leather!

kreativtek

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 16, 2015, 08:11:38 AM

Exactly.

Who knows, maybe we'll get a perverted Stegoceratops to fight the I-Rex and horn that "high intelligence" out of her?

tyrantqueen

What happened to Kenner anyway? Did they go bust?

kreativtek

According to Wikipedia, it was closed by Hasbro in 2000. Such a shame.

Quote(...) The company was closed by its corporate parent Hasbro in 2000.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: