News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

So it's not bad, but I feel like the chest could be deeper, and it is obviously shrink wrapped. If they were truly going for accuracy, then they wouldn't have given this overdone texture like their other sculpts (although I do realize the scales would be too small to be visible on a model of this creature, that isn't life sized, but they could have given skin folds, and maybe some texture on the head). It doesn't have lips either. At least the wrists aren't pronated.

I feel like Rebor should just stick with the awesomebro thing, since it seems like it's their niche, and honestly calling this accurate is just disappointing since it seems like they didn't even bother to put the research in to begin with, or at least the minimal amount.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Minmiminime

I wonder what specimen or specimens they based this latest rex on, if any? It's nice and chunky, but unlike the Safari rex it's not instantly recognisable as "Sue" 🤔 I really like it, it's different enough from the other popular brands and art. It is something of it's own even with the influence of popular tropes and conflicting ideas like feathers/no feathers, lips/no lips and indeed whether those huge fenestrae truly would have been fully obscured. Though I suspect all the former cases to some degree, I accept these lines of thought have not themselves become "fossilised" and sadly never may be, so I'm inclined to be quite forgiving. Like a lot of their figures, it'll undoubtedly look better once coloured, and in the hand, too 😊 T. rex is a safe one for them to start with, and to me this looks nicer than the upcoming PNSO and Vitae versions. I'm going to be elbow deep in tyrannosaurs 🙈
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

stargatedalek

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 18, 2018, 05:58:05 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on September 18, 2018, 02:51:08 PM
Great, I see they're back to their old tricks. This is about as scientifically accurate as what Mattel's been making these days.

I think you are exaggerating a bit. It looks similar to Sideshow's T-rex.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/dinosauria-t-rex-the-tyrant-king-sideshow-collectibles-2002091/
Sideshows also shrink-wrapped T. rex.

Which is still significantly more accurate than this one. This Tyrannosaurus has shrink wrapping on the face, the back of the skull, the chest, and the pubic boot, whereas the Sideshow only seems to suffer from the latter most. Compare them a bit more closely.

The Sideshow is also much larger and yet its texture is significantly more smooth which is both accurate to how any large animals texture should look when shrunken down and accurate to how Tyrannosaurus skin would have looked in general.

Whether that skin was under soft integument or not is something that can reasonably be approached from either perspective, but I still consider that lenient judgement to not strike them for the complete lack of feathers.

To reiterate, REBOR did not say this was "life-like", or even "museum quality"; they said it was "scientifically accurate". There is little room for subjectivity or opinion in that statement.

As for "Well it's accurate by REBOR standards." I'm not fond of this way of thinking for many reasons.

The most obvious being that it's incredibly easy to look this stuff up, anyone can go to Wikipedia and check a few sources and come away with a decent enough understanding of what would constitute a scientifically accurate Tyrannosaurus.

But it also assumes that it's fine to make bold claims like this without the substance to back them up.

And again, I'm quite excited for the future of this line, and I have absolutely no issue with inaccurate reconstructions (I wish REBOR would lay into that, actually), but that doesn't mean I'm not going to say something when I disapprove of claims they've made regarding their products.

Patrx

Interesting! I like where they're heading with this, in theory, and I hate to sound disparaging in light of that, but does the back portion of the maxilla look a little, er, elevated to anyone else?

Minmiminime

avatar_Patrx @Patrx No, you're quite right, it looks very peculiar, to me the whole snout looks a bit unusual and upturned, which makes me wonder which specimen was the influence..! I have seen one with such an odd feature, but can't bring it to mind and I'm sure it's down to preservation distortion and not true to life. I would personally prefer a restyle of this particular crocodile smile, but hey!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Patrx on September 18, 2018, 10:27:35 PM
Interesting! I like where they're heading with this, in theory, and I hate to sound disparaging in light of that, but does the back portion of the maxilla look a little, er, elevated to anyone else?

As much as I (want to) like this Rex, every time I see its face I can't help but see...

mgaguilar

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on September 18, 2018, 11:17:15 PM
Quote from: Patrx on September 18, 2018, 10:27:35 PM

As much as I (want to) like this Rex, every time I see its face I can't help but see...

It is based off of this knock-off:

;D ;D ;D

All jokes aside, Rebor going into the affordable market means they may very well start competing with the larger toy brands, Safari, Mattel, etc.
Looking forward to seeing what they produce! Most likely more mainstream articles, but hey, if that's what sells for them, then by all means.

I never thought I'd say this, but I think I may be reaching my limit of rexes.

Shonisaurus

The companies and brands of toy dinosaurs including Rebor, regardless of all the commentary could begin to animate has made tyrannosaurus figures other than tyrannosaurus rex.

There are other figures as interesting as the gorgosaurus, albertosaurus, tarbosaurus, alioramus or daspletosaurus for example. His remains are well preserved and we have enough information about these prehistoric creatures and for my part except for the tarbosaurus (tyrannosaurus bataar) of Favorite there is no tyrannosaurus figure other than the rex with an acceptable size.

I understand that commercially they would have the same success as tyrannosaurus rex.

I really like Tyrannosaurus but the toy dinosaur companies are exceeding in making figures of this emblematic and beautiful creature when there are other theropods of his same family as interesting as him.

On the other hand entering the subject and pointing out that I do not understand paleontology, but honestly the vinyl tyrannosaurus that Rebor is going to make seems to me a fairly acceptable tyrannosaurus figure closer to the scientific line than to the line of art dinosaur figures pop that we were used to. His prototype is quite good and I can only say that I congratulate Rebor for having made that determination, when making cheap and good figures.

tyrantqueen

Well, at least it's not JP. I probably wouldn't buy it but it's better than their awful Yutyrannus and their other T. rex (the one with the foot on a rock).

This looks be more along the lines of their Acrocanthosaurus, which was great.

IrritatorRaji

Anyone reckon that the scientifically accurate Spinosaurus they teased a while ago will also be released under the 'Grab and Go' line?

Minmiminime

I think that seems quite likely 😊 This direction is what I had hoped they'd take in the first place!! No doubt they'll start with the popular species, but I can live with that. I've never known a company try so many different things and try so many different avenues and styles in such a short space of time :o

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Minmiminime on September 19, 2018, 01:18:45 PM
I've never known a company try so many different things and try so many different avenues and styles in such a short space of time :o

Probably trying to appeal to as many different types of collectors as possible given how shaky their first couple years were. That, or this is this is how Rebor intends to differentiate itself from its competitors by being far more varied.

Flaffy

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Well sincerely the prototype looks very good. It may be one of the best stegosaurs made so far, although that is very static.

tanystropheus

Is there any evidence to suggest that REBOR integrates forum feedback to improve the design of their prototypes?

I would imagine that any company would be ecstatic to hear the many ways they could potentially improve their design before it launches in the market.

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 18, 2018, 09:39:17 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on September 18, 2018, 05:58:05 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on September 18, 2018, 02:51:08 PM
Great, I see they're back to their old tricks. This is about as scientifically accurate as what Mattel's been making these days.

I think you are exaggerating a bit. It looks similar to Sideshow's T-rex.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/dinosauria-t-rex-the-tyrant-king-sideshow-collectibles-2002091/
Sideshows also shrink-wrapped T. rex.

Which is still significantly more accurate than this one. This Tyrannosaurus has shrink wrapping on the face, the back of the skull, the chest, and the pubic boot, whereas the Sideshow only seems to suffer from the latter most. Compare them a bit more closely.

The Sideshow is also much larger and yet its texture is significantly more smooth which is both accurate to how any large animals texture should look when shrunken down and accurate to how Tyrannosaurus skin would have looked in general.

Whether that skin was under soft integument or not is something that can reasonably be approached from either perspective, but I still consider that lenient judgement to not strike them for the complete lack of feathers.

To reiterate, REBOR did not say this was "life-like", or even "museum quality"; they said it was "scientifically accurate". There is little room for subjectivity or opinion in that statement.

As for "Well it's accurate by REBOR standards." I'm not fond of this way of thinking for many reasons.

The most obvious being that it's incredibly easy to look this stuff up, anyone can go to Wikipedia and check a few sources and come away with a decent enough understanding of what would constitute a scientifically accurate Tyrannosaurus.

But it also assumes that it's fine to make bold claims like this without the substance to back them up.

And again, I'm quite excited for the future of this line, and I have absolutely no issue with inaccurate reconstructions (I wish REBOR would lay into that, actually), but that doesn't mean I'm not going to say something when I disapprove of claims they've made regarding their products.

Great post. I appreciate your feedback.

Skin and integuments is certainly one area where REBOR will need to improve (with respect to their 'scientifically-accurate' models). I wonder if the vinyl format allows for "softer" textures that better facilitate this...

tanystropheus

Quote from: Flaffy on September 19, 2018, 02:46:36 PM
Stegosaurus size comparison with juvenile stego and ceratosaurus.
Link:https://www.facebook.com/reborstudio/photos/a.555150811278598/1720247151435619/?type=3&theater

Thank you for the comparison shot. It is nice to see that their herbivore offerings are not over-textured like the Cerato in the left.

MLMjp

It is really frustrating to see some stuff that might be interesting to look forward to and yet knowing that the stuff will probably came out in like a century because reborn has announced so many things that still have not been released and also the fact that they will announce even more stuff adding more things to the list of products whose possibilities of actually seeing the light of the day anytime soon are even less than the ones of finding a well preserved Spinosaurus skeleton.

tanystropheus

Quote from: MLMjp on September 19, 2018, 03:59:57 PM
It is really frustrating to see some stuff that might be interesting to look forward to and yet knowing that the stuff will probably came out in like a century because reborn has announced so many things that still have not been released and also the fact that they will announce even more stuff adding more things to the list of products whose possibilities of actually seeing the light of the day anytime soon are even less than the ones of finding a well preserved Spinosaurus skeleton.

Yeah, it is incredibly annoying. Vitae and PNSO are doing this 'vaporware' thing, as well. At least, Eofauna doesn't promise what it can't ultimately deliver.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: