News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bread on February 06, 2021, 11:52:37 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 06, 2021, 04:36:37 AM
Quote from: Bread on February 06, 2021, 01:26:51 AM
I'm really liking these retrosaurs, but I'd like to see a different genus other than Tyrannosaurus. Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Spinosaurus would be nice for them to do in a retro form. Especially the Triceratops as a good duo for one of the Tyrannosaurs.

People buy tyrannosaurs..that simple really. It's the media's dinosaur of choice.   I would love to see all sorts of different ones, maybe some old Sinclair pieces too?   I do hope they continue the Primal Rage pieces somehow...I'm not sure how they could get those to sell as well..but..still.
Oh yeah 100%. Even Rebor made a statement (I forget which thread) about how Tyrannosaurs are usually the first to go out of stock and sell the best compared to any genus. I even recall them mentioning that making 1 Tyrannosaur a year does a company well.

I want to say I am not disappointed in any of these Tyrannosaurs, my only wish is to have a different genus to go along with them. I do think a retro Spinosaurus would sell well.

A Spinosaurus that was based on Stout's art would be cool, it's the most iconic retro spino I can think of.

suspsy

I'm actually liking the artistic direction Rebor is presently going in. It would be keen to see some Charles Knight-inspired sculpts.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

PrimevalRaptor

Agreed, the retrosaurs are pretty interesting (and much preferred over the x-th JP "inspired" model).
Would love to see some other species down the line, imagine having one of Knight's iconic scenes as a diorama. :D

Faelrin

I would like to see an Iguanodon, and an Agathaumas based on Knight's paintings, from them if they do any more retro figures. Maybe models based on the Crystal Palace ones too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Faelrin on February 06, 2021, 06:24:23 PM
I would like to see an Iguanodon, and an Agathaumas based on Knight's paintings, from them if they do any more retro figures. Maybe models based on the Crystal Palace ones too.
they wont do those. They aren't carnivores. If they did I would probably consider getting them though.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Carnoking

An Agathaumas would be awesome, and perhaps more of a tempting undertaking given how the market isn't necessarily swamped with models of that critter.

Over9K

Quote from: Faelrin on February 06, 2021, 12:51:39 AM
Looks like it's intended to be a "remaster" of the Invicta rex. That's going to be interesting. I'm already curious to see how this will look painted up. I think the sculpted detail so far is looking nice too.

That is specifically what they said... they've mentioned the Invicta T.rex as being an influence several times over the course of the development of the Retrosaurus.

Quote from: REBORAnother Retrosaurus we've been working on lately, it's a HD remastered and more anatomically correct version of the classic 1977 British Museum Invicta Tyrannosaurus Rex figure. If you happen to have the original toy (yes that red plastic one) then you'll know it's a true masterpiece and has aged line fine wine, always thought it deserves more attention than it has received.
Oh and we'll name it "Plastic Love".

Faelrin

What they posted there is why I wrote that though. I probably should have quoted it in that post alongside what I wrote to make things more clear. Sorry.

Also yeah I recall them mentioning it prior too I think in regards to the 80s rex originally?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on February 06, 2021, 06:24:23 PM

I had hoped David would do an Agathaumas for the Beasts of the Mesozoic line..if Rebor would I'd be a buyer.

Over9K

Quote from: Faelrin on February 07, 2021, 02:17:30 AM
What they posted there is why I wrote that though. I probably should have quoted it in that post alongside what I wrote to make things more clear. Sorry.

Also yeah I recall them mentioning it prior too I think in regards to the 80s rex originally?

It's all good, I'm just so unbelievably amp'd about this one.

But Yeah, the Invicta has been one of a few iconic old school pop culture T-rexes they've mentioned specifically during development, and they've now hit them all with at least paint, if not full sculpt.

I'm pretty impressed with what they've done with this body, legs and some inter-swappable dew-claws, arms and heads.

JohannesB

Quote from: Takama on February 06, 2021, 12:16:16 AM
Look What avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO  is cooking up

They said its a Remaster.    So dont go thinking its a Knockoff

I am liking it. But I have a weird pet peeve: if the tail is bent too much like some kind of "snake" (like if it seems to be broken), I will be put off, and I won't buy it. (The Invicta's T. rex has a tail that is practically straight, with but a very slight curve.) But since Rebor said it would be 'more anatomically correct', I guess it will be straight.

Over9K

Quote from: Failed archaeologist on February 09, 2021, 04:35:21 PMI am liking it. But I have a weird pet peeve: if the tail is bent too much like some kind of "snake" (like if it seems to be broken), I will be put off, and I won't buy it. (The Invicta's T. rex has a tail that is practically straight, with but a very slight curve.) But since Rebor said it would be 'more anatomically correct', I guess it will be straight.

I think we can assume that 'Plastic Love' will be using the same body/tail/legs as the rest of the Retrosauruses...

stargatedalek

Considering REBOR's "non retro" Tyrannosaurus are less accurate than the Invicta, I don't exactly think them saying this one will be "more anatomically accurate" will actually mean that. What they really mean is "referencing more recent tropes".

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on February 09, 2021, 05:13:10 PM
Quote from: Failed archaeologist on February 09, 2021, 04:35:21 PMI am liking it. But I have a weird pet peeve: if the tail is bent too much like some kind of "snake" (like if it seems to be broken), I will be put off, and I won't buy it. (The Invicta's T. rex has a tail that is practically straight, with but a very slight curve.) But since Rebor said it would be 'more anatomically correct', I guess it will be straight.

I think we can assume that 'Plastic Love' will be using the same body/tail/legs as the rest of the Retrosauruses...

It be a partial re-use.  The shoulders behind the neck have osteoderms and ridges though that mean at least the body will be slightly different. It really needsa new tail as well to keep the same look.

Fembrogon

These Retrosaurs definitely have my attention more than anything else they've done yet - it's a unique idea among the dino lines out there, rather than the bajillionth JP mimic. I'd totally be down for more figures based on classic toys, art, etc - Charles R. Knight, Zdenek Burian, Ray Harryhausen...

Syndicate Bias

I used to like Rebor but idk now. Not a fan of their quality. But to each their own.

triceratops83

For those who are interested - the Dissected Compsognathus are available at Minizoo.

https://www.minizoo.com.au/rebor/oddities/
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Wheezy82183

Does rebor retire their figure? I'm having a hard time finding any of them for sale.

Bread

Quote from: Wheezy82183 on February 10, 2021, 10:11:26 PM
Does rebor retire their figure? I'm having a hard time finding any of them for sale.
I am not exactly sure, but they are a member of this forum. Maybe they could answer your question, avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO
Also, it really does depend on what exactly you are looking for. For example, I have been recently trying to possibly acquire their Acrocanthosaurus, but the figure is quite expensive since it was made a few years back.

I know that Big Bad Toy Store sells most of their products. I recommend checking them out.

JohannesB

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 09, 2021, 06:55:17 PM
Considering REBOR's "non retro" Tyrannosaurus are less accurate than the Invicta, I don't exactly think them saying this one will be "more anatomically accurate" will actually mean that. What they really mean is "referencing more recent tropes".

Yes, of course. I don't know why I did not see that. Thanks for the insight. A pity, though, because I was really hoping for a "remaster" of the Invicta T. rex. But when I consider your remark - combined with the fact that Reborsauruses are less anatomically correct than Invicta's dinosaurs, I think we can indeed expect a "rehash" in stead of a "remaster". But then again, who knows..

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: