News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 03, 2015, 11:48:12 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 03, 2015, 10:26:11 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 03, 2015, 05:15:45 PM
The nests alone can again, make some great diorama editions. I expect to see these in the contest we run at some point.
I would be careful placing either "nest " in any scene, as neither is altogether accurate and would be unlikely if not entirely impossible for several reasons. (if you allow they are a theropod or sauropod nest, either one)

Do you think the nests could be modded?
The sauropod nest could be likely used as about anything except that or a theropod nest...and might be great for a hardosaurid nest of some type for instance. The theropod nest ...is......well this is some of the issue with it . I previously posted pictures within this thread showing a theropod nest. It would be larger and have gaps between the eggs, and the eggs would then be paired, as we know theropods used a dual opening in the cloaca to deliver the eggs. Within the gaps, then would appear another pair of eggs, resting lightly over the previous pairs etc and working around the clock. A theropod might return over a two week period and continue adding to the nest laying more and more eggs, each time within the gaps. That is where the accuracy issues lies regarding the theropod nest. It just does not pass for a theropod nest as we currenty view them.
   The sauropod nest is somewhat more problematic as a sauropod nest. Most of the nesting grounds we have for sauropods do not suggest a hollowed out bowl structure, but more of a trench style laying method....where the dinosaur could walk along, drop the eggs in a row and cover with a swoosh of the tail. Science has not clearly established wether sauropods "scooched" across the ground with their rear, delivering the eggs, or had some form of tubelike strucuture for delivering the eggs from up high safely to the ground. My sauropod egg for instance is the size of a small soccer ball, so filling a small bowl like this of eggs soccer ball sized with such precision would really require massive legwork and agility. I just dont see that happening realistically.....imagine an animal that size working with such precision in such a small space...even if it could..why would it? Aside from this, a bowl structure like this is generally something utltized by a dinosaur that either covers and uncovers the eggs, or actively roosts them, as we see in Citipatti for instance. I just do not see it likely sauropods roosting over a nest of eggs for a whole ten tons worth of reasons. So in my own opinion of course, I do not see either nest as very accurate in the context it is named at least, although I do believe the sauropod nest at least would make a stunning hadrosaur nest , or possibly even ceratopsian.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

TJ_Terrorsaur

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 04, 2015, 02:53:57 AM
The sauropod nest could be likely used as about anything except that or a theropod nest...and might be great for a hardosaurid nest of some type for instance. The theropod nest ...is......well this is some of the issue with it . I previously posted pictures within this thread showing a theropod nest. It would be larger and have gaps between the eggs, and the eggs would then be paired, as we know theropods used a dual opening in the cloaca to deliver the eggs. Within the gaps, then would appear another pair of eggs, resting lightly over the previous pairs etc and working around the clock. A theropod might return over a two week period and continue adding to the nest laying more and more eggs, each time within the gaps. That is where the accuracy issues lies regarding the theropod nest. It just does not pass for a theropod nest as we currenty view them.
   The sauropod nest is somewhat more problematic as a sauropod nest. Most of the nesting grounds we have for sauropods do not suggest a hollowed out bowl structure, but more of a trench style laying method....where the dinosaur could walk along, drop the eggs in a row and cover with a swoosh of the tail. Science has not clearly established wether sauropods "scooched" across the ground with their rear, delivering the eggs, or had some form of tubelike strucuture for delivering the eggs from up high safely to the ground. My sauropod egg for instance is the size of a small soccer ball, so filling a small bowl like this of eggs soccer ball sized with such precision would really require massive legwork and agility. I just dont see that happening realistically.....imagine an animal that size working with such precision in such a small space...even if it could..why would it? Aside from this, a bowl structure like this is generally something utltized by a dinosaur that either covers and uncovers the eggs, or actively roosts them, as we see in Citipatti for instance. I just do not see it likely sauropods roosting over a nest of eggs for a whole ten tons worth of reasons. So in my own opinion of course, I do not see either nest as very accurate in the context it is named at least, although I do believe the sauropod nest at least would make a stunning hadrosaur nest , or possibly even ceratopsian.

You mean like an ovipositer? I don't see sauropods having to have agility to lay eggs in a "bowl" look at the fossils found today, and then look at sea turtles. Perhaps it was like that. If in fact they had an ovipositer then the eggs (being round) would just push each other out of the way, much like sea turtle eggs do. The large wall of the nest might be a bit off, but I can see a sauropod kicking out a hole for it's eggs. Haven't paleontologists found nesting grounds with hundreds of sauropod eggs in rounded nests? I've never heard of the trench theory before. (It's an interesting one too). But in my opinion I think the rounded nest looks good.
Um as for the theropod nest, I'm sure it could be modded if someone wanted to. Me I'm in love with the way they look. I'm wondering if what the price will be, and if those eggs are all separate pieces.
Also I'm really hoping the dead triceratops is available without the King Rex. I wonder how much she'll be priced.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: TJ_Terrorsaur on June 04, 2015, 07:14:44 AM

You mean like an ovipositer? I don't see sauropods having to have agility to lay eggs in a "bowl" look at the fossils found today, and then look at sea turtles. Perhaps it was like that. If in fact they had an ovipositer then the eggs (being round) would just push each other out of the way, much like sea turtle eggs do. The large wall of the nest might be a bit off, but I can see a sauropod kicking out a hole for it's eggs. Haven't paleontologists found nesting grounds with hundreds of sauropod eggs in rounded nests? I've never heard of the trench theory before. (It's an interesting one too). But in my opinion I think the rounded nest looks good.
Um as for the theropod nest, I'm sure it could be modded if someone wanted to. Me I'm in love with the way they look. I'm wondering if what the price will be, and if those eggs are all separate pieces.
Also I'm really hoping the dead triceratops is available without the King Rex. I wonder how much she'll be priced.
Yes I did mean something similar to an ovipositer. As to sauropods and round cute little nests, you have to allow that each egg is the size of a soccer ball and go up from there, and they are placing them in a small area. This is a multi-ton animal, not a turtle that might max at a less than half a ton at most. A sauropod also stands much higher in the air...so consider. Either it had some form of method for lowering the eggs to the ground safely or scooched its rear across the ground to lay them...if scooching were the method, I am unsure how it would be possible to place them in any form of neat circular depression.The large wall of the nest is in fact very off and would be a trait used in brooding animals as I suggested earlier. As for the eggs just pushing each other out of the way...these were not soft leathery turtle eggs, they have a hard calcium shell like a bird egg and are huge . If you start banging them into one another it isnt going to make this the most populous form of dinosaur around. No paleontologists do not generally find round circular nests like with sauropod eggs like this. Here is more the way it looks so you can understand what I called a trench.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/49/Titanosaur_nesting.jpg

I find trench to be the most appropriate name for the shape given its length versus width. Note it is not a circular shape, has no raised edge and the eggs certainly are not all neatly laid out in a nice little flat area.
It in fact , honestly in no way, shape or form even remotely resembles the model I was addressing. While the rounded nest "looks good" it does not match the science we have for sauropods....

As for the theropod nest it is even more problematic and would be an utter pain to modify to work. It is far too small and lacks the gaps for the missing spaces. Here is an example courtesy of Everything Dinosaur, I believe, of how a theropod nest would look. I also posted a photo or two of one previosly in this thread as well.
http://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/oviraptoridae_nest.jpg

If you are in love with them buy them and enjoy them . Accuracy is not everything and I also think the sauropod nest would look great for a hadrosaur nest instead as that is more close to what it resembles.

The theropod nest is just hard to work with. It is far too small, and lacks the empty spaces characteristic of known theropod nests.
All that being said, tomorrow they could find a sauropod nest just like the model or for that matter a theropod one, but for today, they do not appear accurate .

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tanystropheus

The nests alone can again, make some great diorama editions. I expect to see these in the contest we run at some point.
I would be careful placing either "nest " in any scene, as neither is altogether accurate and would be unlikely if not entirely impossible for several reasons. (if you allow they are a theropod or sauropod nest, either one)

Thank you for the information. It seems that REBOR got the general shape of the eggs correct, but not so much for the overall nest layout. I can picture the sauropod nest working well with a future REBOR hadrosaur product or even with WS Gryposaurus...or perhaps REBOR's very own dead trike (but that would make for a very sad scene). I think the theropod nest has the general "idealized" outline correct with the concentric/radial arrangement. I'm not an egg expert or anything...I wonder how much of the theropod nest's arrangement  (or scatter) is due to the effects of weathering, erosion or displacement from natural processess. Based on the picture that you've presented, perhaps, the issue of concern is that it should have at least 2 layers of encircling, therefore making the size of the nest too small. I still think it is a decent representation, albeit '"idealized", and I'm surprised that REBOR got the shape of the eggs correct.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 04, 2015, 11:27:48 AM

Thank you for the information. It seems that REBOR got the general shape of the eggs correct, but not so much for the overall nest layout. I can picture the sauropod nest working well with a future REBOR hadrosaur product or even with WS Gryposaurus...or perhaps REBOR's very own dead trike (but that would make for a very sad scene). I think the theropod nest has the general "idealized" outline correct with the concentric/radial arrangement. I'm not an egg expert or anything...I wonder how much of the theropod nest's arrangement  (or scatter) is due to the effects of weathering, erosion or displacement from natural processess. Based on the picture that you've presented, perhaps, the issue of concern is that it should have at least 2 layers of encircling, therefore making the size of the nest too small. I still think it is a decent representation, albeit '"idealized", and I'm surprised that REBOR got the shape of the eggs correct.
You have hit on a rather good point, and that is the eggs themselves are done very well. Were it based soley on the eggs, I would be buying both pieces hands down, thanks very much. Right shape, textured, etc. No argument there at all. The sauropod nest would lend itself to a plethora of possible figures depending on size...hadrosaurs, segnosaurs, and even possibly ceratopsians.  It just really is not compatible with what we have for sauropod evidence is all.
   Regarding the pictures and evidence for theropods, ive seen nests using up to four tiers of eggs high. It is a idealized, but also oversimplified version of what a theropod nest would appear like. A second tier of eggs would have helped the effect considerably but....
   To address your ideas about wethering , erosion and so forth lets try this another way. Google for images of Cittipatti brooding fossils and make note of the nests beneath them. Think when looking at the model of a theropod roosting her eggs, using that center area. That is why the nest is too small and would be a challenge to modify. The central area lacks proper space for something to use as a brooding hole. Even a small raptor or oviraptor would be directly ON the eggs rather than hanging over them to provide warmth.

Shadowknight1

Color pic of the baby raptors.  This is unphotoshopped according to their FB post, and only has the text added.

I wonder if each baby is an individual piece on the base or if it's one big, solid piece.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Arul

tyrantqueen

Why are they calling them triplets? If they were triplets, wouldn't they all be from a single egg? They're more like nestmates.

A dog from a litter of puppies is not twinned with another puppy from that litter, they are just littermates. Twins would share a placenta.

Paleogene Pals

With their eyes, they remind me of Sleestak.

ZaZZU2

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 05, 2015, 01:03:06 PM
Why are they calling them triplets? If they were triplets, wouldn't they all be from a single egg? They're more like nestmates.

That got me thinking  :) Cute figures!

amargasaurus cazaui

The eggs themselves are actually fairly well done. I admit I am rather impressed with them. Have they given a price for this model yet or said when it will be offered?

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on June 05, 2015, 01:03:06 PM

A dog from a litter of puppies is not twinned with another puppy from that litter, they are just littermates. Twins would share a placenta.

Marketing speak  ;)

Shonisaurus

I guess unfortunately polyresin, ie a material brittle.

So in my case and for reasons of space, and being a great figure ... saving me money.

Arul

Patrx

Hypsi

They just posted these to show that each one can be removed from the display separately.

That's pretty cool. I like the one with its eyes closed.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on June 05, 2015, 03:23:21 PM
I guess unfortunately polyresin, ie a material brittle.

So in my case and for reasons of space, and being a great figure ... saving me money.

REBOR's Jolly is made of polystone and is not brittle at all. It's actually quite hefty for its size.
The newer hatchlings look 'organic'.

joossa

Overall, they look very nice and have a good aesthetic. Came out better than I would have thought they would.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Rathalosaurus

I am disappointet. Why aren't they just even a BIT feathered?
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Rathalosaurus on June 05, 2015, 08:11:46 PM
I am disappointet. Why aren't they just even a BIT feathered?

Because baby birds are not born with feathers...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: