News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rathalosaurus

Hey REBOR!

I am from Austria and I have to say that it is very difficult to get good dinosaur replicas here, so I had to buy them via Internet.
Since I found the firs website about you, I couldn't stop thinking about this new company making dino-figurines, every single one in a small Diorama. Your detail is very awesome and your marketing too, since your not doing it too much over the top. What I personally dislike ist, that you seem to try to copy - these are MY thoughts- companies like Hasbro or Papo (MY thoughts). I think I said it one time and I say it again:

Don't try to copy or imitate (MY thoughts) big companies. Do your own work (I see your potential with the Ceratosaurus) and go your own way. Haters are going to hate (I do NOT refer to ANYONE here) so do what you do and keep doing things like Jolly and like the Ceratosaurus, because those are really awesome. And I personally like that you are making every single one individual and not liek the one before.

KEEP GOING REBOR (and just try to go accurate- you are on a very good way)
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

suspsy

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 10, 2015, 08:46:38 AM
Before things heat up again, here are a few simple facts:

1. You can call us "unprofessional", we are totally agree with this  because we are amateurs who love dinosaurs and just want to share our products with the world

That is not why people have been deeming you unprofessional.

Quote2. We do accept criticisms, we exchange emails with fans everyday, people point out what could be improved all the time and we do appreciate their ideas, what we don't like is some people think they know more than others, so they can educate others with condescending tone. Seriously, would anyone consider "they're just screamingly, brutally wrong" is a friendly comment? If you wish to make a point simply "they're just wrong" will do! Those inappropriate comments are like straight slap to the face, and we can't talk back? We have to be nice to everyone? Seriously what kind of logic is that?

It's actually very sound, reasonable, beneficial logic. Fighting fire with fire is the instinctive course of action, but it only gets both parties burned. You ended up getting banned from these forums not too long ago because you were making vicious and unnecessary attacks not only on other members, but on other companies and artists. What good did that do you?

I get that you're proud of your work and don't like it being criticized or ridiculed. But what you need to grasp is that as a fledgling company, you are expected to be conduct yourselves in a more professional manner.  Tossing out playground level jabs like "Pretentioustan" is only going to further damage your reputation and make fewer fans want to do business with you. There are other artists on these forums, and I have never once seen them sink to the level of name calling and mockery because someone insulted their work. On the contrary, they've always been polite and civil.

Try fighting fire with water.

Quote3. Stop trying to speak for everyone, "Oh REBOR don't respect customers! REBOR are rude to everyone! " No, wake up, it's just you.

See what I wrote above.

Quote4. "There isn't even an attempt at the sort of PR-friendly lip service that you might get out of, say, Hasbro. I haven't contacted Hasbro about their Jurassic World line, which I seriously dislike, but if I did I can imagine what their representative's respone would be: "We'll look into that," or "We'll take that into consideration," or "We're working on it." " Don't imagine things, please give it a go to find out. 

Been there, done that. Not for Jurassic World, but I have been in contact with Hasbro in the past with regard to their Transformers line. Again, they've always been polite and civil.

Quote5. The good news is now since we've set up our prestige in the market, we can move on and focus on making more scientific accurate dinosaur replicas :)

Actions speak louder than words. I hope you make it so.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Mauro "Raptor86"

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 10, 2015, 01:27:44 PM
Quote from: Mauro "Raptor86" on June 10, 2015, 11:29:29 AM

And if I pay 80 euros I demand not to have those issue at all.

Hi, could you please let us know which shop list our product for 80 Euros? REBOR King T-rex is the most expensive one by far, We know our sellers in Germany list it for 50 Euros, which is nothing even close to 80 Euros, and this price includes 19% VAT, that's 9.5 Euros to the government, and if the shipping fee is expensive, that's just because the post office charges that much, do you think that we all sit behind the desk and counting money with evil laugh? Again our products are more expensive than Papo simply because:

1. One piece injection moulding method is expensive

2. Polystone bases cost a lot

3. Packaging materials, those are not cheap foam, actually even better than average dish washing foam in the market

4. The boxes are large, which increase the shipping cost significantly, to ship one unit REBOR King T-rex to seller could cost around 6 Pounds or 10 Dollars or 8 Euros

I have to admit I have checked just ebay sellers, because I did not know if you had an official store or something like that.
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/REBOR-Tyrannosaurus-Rex-KING-T-REX-PAINTED-PVC-1-35-Dinosaur-Museum-Class-Model-/271892913990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4e149f46)
Like I said I have had no oppurtunity to "feel" them in my hands, so I do not know how heavy they are, the quality etc. I just said that it is what I can understand with the internet reviews and video. In particular I was pretty disappointed to see the warping issue in the Ceratosaurus.

QuoteBut thank you for pointing out the problems, we appreciate it and we are also looking for a way to lower the cost. Also we are planning to release smaller dinosaur replicas for children with lower price, and no matter what products we make, you can be sure that we will spend the same amount of efforts on them, the quality and production value of REBOR products will never drop :)

This is a good answer. And I am also intrigued by smaller replicas. I can see you guys are putting a lot of passion, enthusiasm and money in this project and I can see a lot of potentialities.
And that's because we are giving you some critiques. We think you can really do a lot better.
I mean, just look to what happend with CollectA.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Rathalosaurus on June 10, 2015, 01:30:42 PM
Hey REBOR!

I am from Austria and I have to say that it is very difficult to get good dinosaur replicas here, so I had to buy them via Internet.
Since I found the firs website about you, I couldn't stop thinking about this new company making dino-figurines, every single one in a small Diorama. Your detail is very awesome and your marketing too, since your not doing it too much over the top. What I personally dislike ist, that you seem to try to copy - these are MY thoughts- companies like Hasbro or Papo (MY thoughts). I think I said it one time and I say it again:

Don't try to copy or imitate (MY thoughts) big companies. Do your own work (I see your potential with the Ceratosaurus) and go your own way. Haters are going to hate (I do NOT refer to ANYONE here) so do what you do and keep doing things like Jolly and like the Ceratosaurus, because those are really awesome. And I personally like that you are making every single one individual and not liek the one before.

KEEP GOING REBOR (and just try to go accurate- you are on a very good way)

Thanks for the support! See guys? This is a very nice and polite way to communicate with people :) We admit that REBOR King T-rex and Velociraptor hatchlings are inspired by designs in Jurassic Park, just paying homage to the classic movies in our own way, our Yutyrannus, Utahraptor, Ceratosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, Triceratops are all designed by ourselves with artist licenses, and we will keep designing dinosaurs with unique appearances, not to mention they all have their own nicknames and background stories, consider they are fictional characters, whenever people mention REBOR Utahraptor and Ceratosaurus, we hope they can call them "Wind Hunter" and "Savage", after all they do have their own names :)

Spoilers alert! Hercules the Acrocanthosaurus is also related to future products, we won't say what they are, but the nick name will be "Ceryneian Hind" and "Cerberus", and yes they are all dinosaurs, and their bases can be combined together to form a large diorama, same concept as REBOR T-rex vs Triceratops diorama :)

Arul

Saving money mode on, for the hercules.

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 10, 2015, 02:47:01 AM
If you truly psychoanalyze all the decisions we make on a given day, on a case-by-case basis, you would come to the conclusion that we are an inherently, paradoxical species. We have an ideal (exemplified) image of ourselves that we built in our head, then we proceed to live according to said guidelines. However, in actuality, we always fall short of our ideals because it is a (ongoing) process. Principles are great in the grand scheme of things (with respect to community values, politics, metaphysics, professional outlook etc.) but they seem to fall apart when we apply the grander rules upon minor/trivial social transactions. The reason these principles fall apart (at the micro level) is due to our innate nature to cherry pick without being halfway conscious about it.

I don't want to stray too far off-topic, but let's be clear about this: one of the reasons that a company can turn a profit despite sending a representative to a public forum with no apparent intention to do anything other than to troll potential customers is because of the reasoning given above.

There are two responses that someone can have to the representative's behavior: something in line with "I think there's something wrong with that" or something in line with "I don't think there's anything wrong with that." If you (the plural, generalized you; not you specifically, Tanystropheus) fall into the latter group, then it makes perfect sense to continue buying their product. If you fall into the former camp, then you can respond by doing one of two things: you can vote with your dollars or you can say, "Eh, what're you gonna do?" as you continue buying their product. If you fall into the latter group, then there is no functional difference between you and the people who think everything is hunky-dory.

I do have to wonder: how many people here think Rebor is treating its customers here well, or at least well enough? Even if you're saving up for what I'm sure will be a very cool-looking Acrocanthosaurus, do you really think there isn't anything wrong with a company leaving posts with all the substance of a "na na na-na na" taunt? To the many who have posted encouragement or praise of the company: if your child was starting a business, would you recommend they interact with potential customers in the way that Rebor does?

I'm not recommending a boycott or anything like that, but I do think it's important that people be honest with themselves. There's no sense in wagging a finger with one hand while the other hand offers up money. There is no reality except in action when you're talking business.

Yutyrannus

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 10, 2015, 08:46:38 AM
3. Stop trying to speak for everyone, "Oh REBOR don't respect customers! REBOR are rude to everyone! " No, wake up, it's just you.
Let's see shall we...

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on March 30, 2015, 05:43:03 AM
3. You have no idea how much efforts we have put into our works, how can anyone compare our creation to cartoonish WS Acrocanthosaurus (we don't even know they had one till now), and CollectA? What a joke;
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on March 30, 2015, 05:43:03 AM
6. The above comments are for a small group of people ONLY, how can you tell? If you felt offended after reading these, congratulation! you are one of them :)
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on March 30, 2015, 06:57:23 AM
Never heard of this guy, guess he is not so talented after all or just being really lazy with his work or just have bad taste of art, unrealistic skill folds and simple "goosebumps"around scales indicate that either he has primitive sculpture skills or simply the company didn't pay him enough to take the job seriously. We have the right to speak because trust us, we KNOW art.
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on March 30, 2015, 07:41:33 AM
OK, so this is the head sculpt he did for the beautiful Elasmosaurus

Enough said
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on March 30, 2015, 07:49:22 AM
Quote from: Balaur on March 30, 2015, 07:44:51 AM
Another problem you don't listen. I just told you that if you could handle criticism you could be more successful with the people here. Any response, or do I maybe have to just start going nuts?

That would be a great idea, hold on, got to get our nutcracker first :)
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 09, 2015, 11:50:44 PM
Pretentioustan is a wonderful place :)
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 10, 2015, 02:14:41 PM
Thanks for the support! See guys? This is a very nice and polite way to communicate with people :)

Now hopefully this argument can end before people start getting banned like last time, and the time before that. Do people really have to keep getting banned every single time because REBOR has (in John's case at least) provoked him into breaking the rules of this forum? Can we just have a nice, polite conversation in this thread for once?

Normally I would rather stay out of these arguments, however I just had to intervene one last time.

:)

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

tanystropheus

IMHO

If I want a cool looking inaccurate dino model I will surely buy Papo, not REBOR because:

1) They are a lot cheaper
2) The coolness of their look is at par or superior to the REBOR models
3) REBOR models suffer of warping issue, too. And if I pay 80 euros I demand not to have those issue at all.

I  have to admit that I have never had the pleasure of reviewing any REBOR model to date, but just looking at the pictures and the youtube videos, to me, they are just overpriced PAPO-like dinosaur toys.
Of course, everything would change if REBOR started to try to follow scientifical accuracy. Not beacuse it is everything, but we are still talking about animals models, not monsters, aren't we?

This is a very superficial assessment. You need to hold one in person.

Regarding REBOR T-rex vs Papo T-rex. They have similar looking JP heads, but the REBOR T-rex has body proportions that are similar to some of Sideshow's earlier T-rex designs. Check out the review on DTB.

Regarding REBOR Ceratosaurus vs Papo Allosaurus. There is no comparison. The REBOR product is superior in every way (minus issues with stability). Also check out the review on DTB.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Tyrannosauron on June 10, 2015, 04:08:11 PM
If you truly psychoanalyze all the decisions we make on a given day, on a case-by-case basis, you would come to the conclusion that we are an inherently, paradoxical species. We have an ideal (exemplified) image of ourselves that we built in our head, then we proceed to live according to said guidelines. However, in actuality, we always fall short of our ideals because it is a (ongoing) process. Principles are great in the grand scheme of things (with respect to community values, politics, metaphysics, professional outlook etc.) but they seem to fall apart when we apply the grander rules upon minor/trivial social transactions. The reason these principles fall apart (at the micro level) is due to our innate nature to cherry pick without being halfway conscious about it.

I don't want to stray too far off-topic, but let's be clear about this: one of the reasons that a company can turn a profit despite sending a representative to a public forum with no apparent intention to do anything other than to troll potential customers is because of the reasoning given above.

There are two responses that someone can have to the representative's behavior: something in line with "I think there's something wrong with that" or something in line with "I don't think there's anything wrong with that." If you (the plural, generalized you; not you specifically, Tanystropheus) fall into the latter group, then it makes perfect sense to continue buying their product. If you fall into the former camp, then you can respond by doing one of two things: you can vote with your dollars or you can say, "Eh, what're you gonna do?" as you continue buying their product. If you fall into the latter group, then there is no functional difference between you and the people who think everything is hunky-dory.

I do have to wonder: how many people here think Rebor is treating its customers here well, or at least well enough? Even if you're saving up for what I'm sure will be a very cool-looking Acrocanthosaurus, do you really think there isn't anything wrong with a company leaving posts with all the substance of a "na na na-na na" taunt? To the many who have posted encouragement or praise of the company: if your child was starting a business, would you recommend they interact with potential customers in the way that Rebor does?

I'm not recommending a boycott or anything like that, but I do think it's important that people be honest with themselves. There's no sense in wagging a finger with one hand while the other hand offers up money. There is no reality except in action when you're talking business.

I understand where you are coming from, but I don't feel that the 'vote-with-your-dollars' is as tangible a concept as the public wants us to believe.  I feel that is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. In other words, I don't think it has the intended effect. It sounds good in theory, though. Also boycotts and protests generally serve to increase public interest in a cause, person or product. It is essentially a form of advertisement.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Tyrannosauron on June 10, 2015, 04:08:11 PM

I do have to wonder: how many people here think Rebor is treating its customers here well, or at least well enough?

Ah, go on then: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3492

Mauro "Raptor86"

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 10, 2015, 04:57:05 PM
IMHO

If I want a cool looking inaccurate dino model I will surely buy Papo, not REBOR because:

3) REBOR models suffer of warping issue, too. And if I pay 80 euros I demand not to have those issue at all.

I  have to admit that I have never had the pleasure of reviewing any REBOR model to date, but just looking at the pictures and the youtube videos, to me, they are just overpriced PAPO-like dinosaur toys.
Of course, everything would change if REBOR started to try to follow scientifical accuracy. Not beacuse it is everything, but we are still talking about animals models, not monsters, aren't we?

Regarding REBOR T-rex vs Papo T-rex. They have similar looking JP heads, but the REBOR T-rex has body proportions that are similar to some of Sideshow's earlier T-rex designs. Check out the review on DTB.

Regarding REBOR Ceratosaurus vs Papo Allosaurus. There is no comparison. The REBOR product is superior in every way (minus issues with stability). Also check out the review on DTB.

The problem is: can I hold one in hand before buying? No, so I have to rely on pictures and youtube videos. And for what I see they are not worthy of my money. But, ehy, it's just my opinion. Maybe it will change in the future who knows? (especially if they are going to different scales)

Oh, I have checked out the review and:

By the way I think the Cerato is their best

Shonisaurus

My dream that acrocanthosaurus of Rebor and most importantly put up for sale soon worldwide will soon be revealed.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Mauro "Raptor86" on June 10, 2015, 07:28:56 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on June 10, 2015, 04:57:05 PM
IMHO

The problem is: can I hold one in hand before buying? No, so I have to rely on pictures and youtube videos. And for what I see they are not worthy of my money. But, ehy, it's just my opinion. Maybe it will change in the future who knows? (especially if they are going to different scales)

Oh, I have checked out the review and:

By the way I think the Cerato is their best

Aside from stability issues, if you pick up a REBOR and compare it to a Papo, the production values are clearly superior on the REBOR (e.g the texture, the feel of the model, the heft, the finish etc.). You get exactly what you pay for (stability issues aside). It's like having Jurassic Park on DVD and Blu Ray. On the surface, both films look more or less the same, but there is a difference in quality...but you wouldn't know unless you watch the films on both formats.

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: dinotoyforum on June 10, 2015, 05:27:43 PM

Thanks for setting that up! This is what I love about scientists: the use of data to answer empirical questions.  :)

tanystropheus

Quote from: Tyrannosauron on June 10, 2015, 09:10:04 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on June 10, 2015, 05:27:43 PM

Thanks for setting that up! This is what I love about scientists: the use of data to answer empirical questions.  :)

Yes, it is an excellent idea and will allow REBOR to engage in some level of self-reflection (and creativity) if they haven't already. However, I doubt that it is 'scientific' as there is considerable room for bias. Polls are a great for what its worth, but there are problems (in terms of whether the sample size is truly representative) due to lack of participation. The Safari polls are extremely helpful for future suggests, but even Doug Watson commented on the level of participation. Only 40 members were actively partaking in polls, despite the forum having 1000+ members.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 10, 2015, 02:14:41 PM
Thanks for the support! See guys? This is a very nice and polite way to communicate with people :) We admit that REBOR King T-rex and Velociraptor hatchlings are inspired by designs in Jurassic Park, just paying homage to the classic movies in our own way, our Yutyrannus, Utahraptor, Ceratosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, Triceratops are all designed by ourselves with artist licenses, and we will keep designing dinosaurs with unique appearances, not to mention they all have their own nicknames and background stories, consider they are fictional characters, whenever people mention REBOR Utahraptor and Ceratosaurus, we hope they can call them "Wind Hunter" and "Savage", after all they do have their own names :)

Spoilers alert! Hercules the Acrocanthosaurus is also related to future products, we won't say what they are, but the nick name will be "Ceryneian Hind" and "Cerberus", and yes they are all dinosaurs, and their bases can be combined together to form a large diorama, same concept as REBOR T-rex vs Triceratops diorama :)
I personally cannot wait for Hercules.  He looks great in monochrome, and I can't wait to see what color scheme you have for him.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Dyscrasia

The term "accuracy" in depicting non-avian dinosaurs and other prehistoric lifeforms may be kind of misleading, as we may never figure out how these creatures "actually" looked like.

But making scientifically up to date models is another issue, and this is a certain department I really wish that REBOR would improve.

Using a certain degree of artistic license to enhance aesthetical aspects is fine, but it would be much better if the basic designs were based on latest researches (or if possible, have someone to help with this).

Besides some warping and stability issues, the production pieces are absolutely beautiful, and I am going to continue to purchase future releases.

amargasaurus cazaui

I notice we are discussing customer treatment and so forth here and wanted to add my own take....When Doug was recently insulted in the threads previous to this post, I had commented I would not be purchasing anything Rebor produces till such time as the insult is addressed and apologized for.
     Regarding Rebor models themselves, I had not been tempted to purchase any of them so far, solely because theropods are not my particular bent in collecting. I did notice the new Raptors egg group, and was rather amused and liked the model . I found the eggs were shaped properly , textured and so forth in a way that is or would fall within what I would consider possible. Unsure just how the chicks inside stack up but this is a model I would be buying were it not for the comments made towards the other gentleman I consider my friend. I feel it would look quite in place within my egg display and add another dimension, but as a principle I still feel Doug is due an apology so I will do as I said I would , because others challenged wether I would follow that decision. Not starting an argument here, just stating my own thoughts, thanks
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tanystropheus

What if Doug Watson starts collecting REBOR!? (alternatively, what if REBOR starts to collect future Doug Watson dinosaurs!?)

I know he likes Papos. And, REBORs are stylistically similar...perhaps, he might be more impressed with a future REBOR product...just a thought.

Shadowknight1

Also, for those who don't know, Ceryneian Hind and Cerberus were creatures that were part of the twelve labors of Hercules, specifically the third and twelfth labors respectively.  Ceryneian Hind was a doe with antlers belonging to Artemis and Cerberus is the famous three headed guard dog of the Underworld.  I don't know if those are clues to the identities of the other dinosaurs though.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: