News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR general discussion

Started by Shadowknight1, February 01, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 11, 2015, 04:10:25 AM
What if Doug Watson starts collecting REBOR!? (alternatively, what if REBOR starts to collect future Doug Watson dinosaurs!?)

I know he likes Papos. And, REBORs are stylistically similar...perhaps, he might be more impressed with a future REBOR product...just a thought.

Rebor does not like Dougs models,

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on March 30, 2015, 06:57:23 AM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on March 30, 2015, 06:40:27 AM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on March 30, 2015, 05:43:03 AM
6. The above comments are for a small group of people ONLY, how can you tell? If you felt offended after reading these, congratulation! you are one of them :)
That is unless you are Doug Watson, whose Acrocanthosaurus sculpt you just called cartoonish.

Never heard of this guy, guess he is not so talented after all or just being really lazy with his work or just have bad taste of art, unrealistic skill folds and simple "goosebumps"around scales indicate that either he has primitive sculpture skills or simply the company didn't pay him enough to take the job seriously. We have the right to speak because trust us, we KNOW art.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on June 11, 2015, 04:21:41 AM
What if Doug Watson starts collecting REBOR!? (alternatively, what if REBOR starts to collect future Doug Watson dinosaurs!?)

I know he likes Papos. And, REBORs are stylistically similar...perhaps, he might be more impressed with a future REBOR product...just a thought.

Rebor does not like Dougs models,

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on March 30, 2015, 06:57:23 AM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on March 30, 2015, 06:40:27 AM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on March 30, 2015, 05:43:03 AM
6. The above comments are for a small group of people ONLY, how can you tell? If you felt offended after reading these, congratulation! you are one of them :)
That is unless you are Doug Watson, whose Acrocanthosaurus sculpt you just called cartoonish.

Never heard of this guy, guess he is not so talented after all or just being really lazy with his work or just have bad taste of art, unrealistic skill folds and simple "goosebumps"around scales indicate that either he has primitive sculpture skills or simply the company didn't pay him enough to take the job seriously. We have the right to speak because trust us, we KNOW art.

Nothing is fixed in stone. REBOR was commenting on some of Doug Watson's older models (Acro and Elasmo). I'm pretty sure that they would be impressed with the Nasutoceratops and Sauropelta. Also, that's why I said future Doug Watson dinosaurs - he's improving the quality of his models every year and the 2015 aforementioned models are already approaching Papo quality.

joossa

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on June 11, 2015, 04:20:29 AM
Also, for those who don't know, Ceryneian Hind and Cerberus were creatures that were part of the twelve labors of Hercules, specifically the third and twelfth labors respectively.  Ceryneian Hind was a doe with antlers belonging to Artemis and Cerberus is the famous three headed guard dog of the Underworld.  I don't know if those are clues to the identities of the other dinosaurs though.
Thanks for this! It's been a while since I have been exposed to Greek Mythology. If they are part of Hercules' labors, then it's likely that the models named "Ceryneian Hind" and "Cerberus" will be possible victims of the Acro? Or better yet, maybe living, but potential victims like what's hinted at in the "revenge" portion of the King T-Rex's story (a living Triceratops going against the Rex)? Maybe the former is more likely since we already know the Acro will come with a Hadrosaur victim right off the bat.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

tyrantqueen

I tend to agree with amargasaurus. They never apologised fully for their comments. It would be a good idea on their part to do so.

amargasaurus cazaui

I am unsure you understand my point here, for me this is a concept of principle. Doug is my friend, he has gone above and beyond in helping me with my collection in particular regards to signatures, although I cannot be more specific. Another avenue Doug helped me find led to some solid information regarding one of my collections, that was just stunningly helpful itself. Further he has signed figures for me himself, and even then has requested I not reveal the extent or specifics of his efforts to help me.When someone attacks him publicly within the forum this becomes an issue. I took a stand based on this idea...it is not contingent to anyone else's approval. I stated when and if there is an apology for those comments...and I meant when and if.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: joossa on June 11, 2015, 05:26:26 AM
Also, for those who don't know, Ceryneian Hind and Cerberus were creatures that were part of the twelve labors of Hercules, specifically the third and twelfth labors respectively.  Ceryneian Hind was a doe with antlers belonging to Artemis and Cerberus is the famous three headed guard dog of the Underworld.  I don't know if those are clues to the identities of the other dinosaurs though.
Thanks for this! It's been a while since I have been exposed to Greek Mythology. If they are part of Hercules' labors, then it's likely that the models named "Ceryneian Hind" and "Cerberus" will be possible victims of the Acro? Or better yet, maybe living, but potential victims like what's hinted at in the "revenge" portion of the King T-Rex's story (a living Triceratops going against the Rex)? Maybe the former is more likely since we already know the Acro will come with a Hadrosaur victim right off the bat.

I had understood that the Acro was to be based with a tenontosaurus, which if I understand correctly is an iguanodont..have they changed species to be used?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

REBOR_STUDIO

Dear REBOR,
Today we've received the following message:

"I'm a dedicated fan. I've purchased all the REBOR products and am awaiting the Y-rex from BBTS. However, there seems to be about a dozen forum members that are hesitating on purchasing future REBOR products based on principle alone (they are on the fence). I know that you don't really need them, but it might be good for the REBOR brand. In short, they are expecting an apology (addressed to Doug Watson) in the REBOR general discussion thread. You don't have to do it, but it would be a nice gesture with perhaps a lasting impact. Something short and simple, perhaps along the lines of: I would like to extend my apologies to Doug Watson and I truly respect his work. I'm trying to do my best with damage control, but I could only do so much  :) Doug Watson, from my personal experience, is quite talented for the limited budget that is allocated to his models. His prototypes (before the Safari Ltd paint job is applied) is really good. I'm also not a fan of his Acro and Elasmo, but I really like his ceratopsian models (Vagaceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus, Nasutoceratops and Diabloceratops).

All the best!  :) I hope your brand becomes supremely successful."

We will not let our fan down, also we've learned that some members on this forum do appreciate our work and want to purchase them but just not happy with our attitude. We agree that the whole argument is pointless except hurting each other, therefore we would like to apologise to artist Doug Watson and those forum members who've felt offended, after all we are here because we all love dinosaurs :)

Please understand even a company is still formed by people, and people do have feelings, we are artists as well, so next time when someone is not happy with our work or would like to provide suggestions, just drop us a message, please don't post    cruel and harsh comments, think about it, we can get embarrassed. You know the circumstance when you were making fun of your best friend in front of people, normally you guys do these stuff all the time so naturally you would expect him to be fine, but suddenly he snapped? Same thing with us. :)

suspsy

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 11, 2015, 03:21:43 PM
We will not let our fan down, also we've learned that some members on this forum do appreciate our work and want to purchase them but just not happy with our attitude. We agree that the whole argument is pointless except hurting each other, therefore we would like to apologise to artist Doug Watson and those forum members who've felt offended, after all we are here because we all love dinosaurs :)

Good.

QuotePlease understand even a company is still formed by people, and people do have feelings, we are artists as well, so next time when someone is not happy with our work or would like to provide suggestions, just drop us a message, please don't post    cruel and harsh comments, think about it, we can get embarrassed. You know the circumstance when you were making fun of your best friend in front of people, normally you guys do these stuff all the time so naturally you would expect him to be fine, but suddenly he snapped? Same thing with us. :)

While I definitely agree that it is generally unhelpful and unpleasant for someone to simply state that a model "sucks" or "looks like crap," I think fans are completely justified in posting their personal criticisms of REBOR products, or any other dinosaur products for that matter. This is what the forums are for, after all. Pointing out that the plumage on the Yutyrannus is insufficient or that the Velociraptor hatchlings don't have properly shaped heads may seem harsh given all the time and hard work that was clearly put in to creating those models, but it is the truth. I seriously doubt so many fans would be taking the time to express their constructive criticisms if their intention was not to try and help REBOR evolve, improve, and expand as a company. Someone already pointed out how CollectA's models have shown drastic improvement over the last few years. I strongly suspect REBOR is more than capable of the same.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

John

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 11, 2015, 03:21:43 PM
Dear REBOR,
Today we've received the following message:

"I'm a dedicated fan. I've purchased all the REBOR products and am awaiting the Y-rex from BBTS. However, there seems to be about a dozen forum members that are hesitating on purchasing future REBOR products based on principle alone (they are on the fence). I know that you don't really need them, but it might be good for the REBOR brand. In short, they are expecting an apology (addressed to Doug Watson) in the REBOR general discussion thread. You don't have to do it, but it would be a nice gesture with perhaps a lasting impact. Something short and simple, perhaps along the lines of: I would like to extend my apologies to Doug Watson and I truly respect his work. I'm trying to do my best with damage control, but I could only do so much  :) Doug Watson, from my personal experience, is quite talented for the limited budget that is allocated to his models. His prototypes (before the Safari Ltd paint job is applied) is really good. I'm also not a fan of his Acro and Elasmo, but I really like his ceratopsian models (Vagaceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus, Nasutoceratops and Diabloceratops).

All the best!  :) I hope your brand becomes supremely successful."

Please understand even a company is still formed by people, and people do have feelings, we are artists as well, so next time when someone is not happy with our work or would like to provide suggestions, just drop us a message, please don't post    cruel and harsh comments, think about it, we can get embarrassed. You know the circumstance when you were making fun of your best friend in front of people, normally you guys do these stuff all the time so naturally you would expect him to be fine, but suddenly he snapped? Same thing with us. :)
To the representatives of Rebor,I apologize to you as well for the things I said to you before as well.I hope that you find success.There can never be too many dinosaur lines out there. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

joossa

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on June 11, 2015, 08:06:38 AM
Quote from: joossa on June 11, 2015, 05:26:26 AM

I had understood that the Acro was to be based with a tenontosaurus, which if I understand correctly is an iguanodont..have they changed species to be used?
You're right. My mistake... I didn't quiet remember what the prey item was slated to be and thought it was a Hadrosaur of some kind.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

amargasaurus cazaui

I am quite pleased and happy with your statement Rebor, and I think that was just exceptionally professional and well done. I truly am delighted to see this. I will be acquiring the model I mentioned, as I feel honor has been served here and you did step up and do the right thing here. I commend that effort and am impressed with it, thanks again.

Shonisaurus

I am also Rebor buyer, and nothing was going to stop buying their dinosaurs regardless of their criticism.

I understand that they can be a company in a short time prime market of replica dinosaur collection, I am primarily interested in companies dinosaur prosper economically and in terms of its improvement of its figures, and for me it is not an exception, precisely Rebor.

I wish you well as to other companies replicas of prehistoric animals and of course dinosaurs.

That itself should improve as the remaining companies.

Horridus

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 09, 2015, 11:50:44 PM
Here is a message to people who consider scientific accuracy is everything: next time when you watch Starwars, be sure to mute the sound whenever there is a space scene, because there is no air molecule in space hence sound wave cannot be conducted, to be able to hear anything would be screamingly, brutally wrong, completely unacceptable and will shake the very foundation of science, people who enjoy the sound effects of laser shooting and explosion should be considered as ignorant and backward, and it is necessary to educate these people to ensure that they can catch up with the modern age.

Pretentioustan is a wonderful place :)

You guys are a little thin-skinned.

You are marketing dinosaur figures - figures of real animals that people have spent countless hours studying in order to determine, as best as they can, what they were really like. Comparing that to a fantastical space opera is a complete non sequitur. Scientific accuracy isn't everything, you're right; but it does help if your products at least have a passing resemblance to what they are purported to be models of, which those raptors certainly don't (but your other figures do).

For what it's worth, I actually quite like the majority of your stuff, and did give your T. rex a largely favourable review on the blog. I think that, as a company, you're filling an important gap between the toys and the super-expensive resins, and that's actually quite laudable.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Tyrannosauron

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 10, 2015, 05:09:58 PMI feel that is inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. In other words, I don't think it has the intended effect. It sounds good in theory, though. Also boycotts and protests generally serve to increase public interest in a cause, person or product. It is essentially a form of advertisement.
Quote from: tanystropheus on June 10, 2015, 09:21:27 PMI doubt that it is 'scientific' as there is considerable room for bias.
I'm not sure that you're intending to do so, but you're pretty consistently putting words in my mouth or implying that I believe things that I don't. I never said that a forum poll would be scientific and I specifically said that I wasn't an advocate of organized boycotting.

As for voting with one's dollars, I'd say that it very clearly does work. To cite two recent high-profile examples, Apple introduced the larger iPhone and McDonald's has made (nominally) health-conscious menu changes because people expressed changes in their preferences by giving money to competitors. Individual action may not make much of a difference, but the aggregate of many individual actions does. If you want change, then the fatalist sort of "one person can't make a difference" attitude only works when there are other people who don't take that attitude.

To bring it back to Rebor: the apology (such as it was) is certainly a step in the right direction. Any new venture brings with it a steep learning curve. If I could offer some advice from a decade's experience in a job that involves public interaction, it would be this: yes, a public representative is a human being with human emotions, but it's incumbent on a public representative not to express the full range of those emotions. As much as you may want to lay a verbal smackdown on a rude customer, the visceral satisfaction won't last nearly as long as the damage to your public image. Jedi-type detachment from emotion works better in the long run (at least publicly; no one should blame you for airing it all out over a pint with friends).

We're all dinosaur nuts. Rebor is very good--excellent, even--at sculpting dinosaurs. I think it's fair to say that most of us want to like them. As long as we're not given reason to do otherwise things should work out just fine.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Horridus on June 11, 2015, 06:59:32 PM

Scientific accuracy isn't everything, you're right; but it does help if your products at least have a passing resemblance to what they are purported to be models of, which those raptors certainly don't (but your other figures do).

Because we have both fans who love movie monster style dinosaurs and fans who prefer scientific accurate animals, it's our responsibility to satisfy both groups, that's why we have accurate Ceratosaurs and Acrocanthosaurus (yes we know the feet are a bit oversized, we have no choice but to make him in this way otherwise it won't stand considering the size and weight of the figure and the remains of Tenontosaurus that goes in his mouth) and movie influenced raptor hatchlings, please understand :)

joossa

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 11, 2015, 08:20:59 PM

Scientific accuracy isn't everything, you're right; but it does help if your products at least have a passing resemblance to what they are purported to be models of, which those raptors certainly don't (but your other figures do).

Because we have both fans who love movie monster style dinosaurs and fans who prefer scientific accurate animals, it's our responsibility to satisfy both groups, that's why we have accurate Ceratosaurs and Acrocanthosaurus (yes we know the feet are a bit oversized, we have no choice but to make him in this way otherwise it won't stand considering the size and weight of the figure and the remains of Tenontosaurus that goes in his mouth) and movie influenced raptor hatchlings, please understand :)
So, Rebor, when you will be revealing the color photo of the Acro? I know you you said something will happen in August, but I don't think it was clear if that when the color reveal with be or when the model will be released. I understand if you can't reveal the date at this time, though.
Looking forward to seeing the prey in it's mouth! :)
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Arul

prey in the mouth ? So thats why rebor acro have a big leg to balancing the figure. My imagination is going wild, august ? Make it sooner rebor please  :o

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 10, 2015, 01:52:05 AM
Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on June 10, 2015, 12:48:46 AM
Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 09, 2015, 11:50:44 PM
Here is a message to people who consider scientific accuracy is everything: next time when you watch Starwars, be sure to mute the sound whenever there is a space scene, because there is no air molecule in space hence sound wave cannot be conducted, to be able to hear anything would be screamingly, brutally wrong, completely unacceptable and will shake the very foundation of science, people who enjoy the sound effects of laser shooting and explosion should be considered as ignorant and backward, and it is necessary to educate these people to ensure that they can catch up with the modern age.

Pretentioustan is a wonderful place :)

Welp, say goodbye to any chance of getting my money.

And, what if REBOR introduces an accurate/aesthetic representation of Appalachiosaurus in 2016...? :D

Well than all bets would be off. I would probably tatoo "I'm sorry Rebor" on my back if that ever happened.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: REBOR_STUDIO on June 11, 2015, 08:20:59 PM

Personally, I like the colors of your hatchlings a little more than the normal Jurassic Park raptors. ^_^

I'm really looking forward to Hercules now!  We need a hero!

https://youtu.be/OBwS66EBUcY
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Simon

Shadowknight1  -  Thanks for that video link.  I have not heard that song in probably 30 years and its just what I needed to pump me up so I can keep plowing forward with a few more hours of typing work ahead!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: