You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 Ceratosaurus dentisulcatus Museum Class Replica “Savage” [updated]

Started by REBOR_STUDIO, February 04, 2015, 01:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arul

Wingrave27

Quote from: Wingrave27 on May 01, 2015, 12:43:08 PM
Got mine this morning,very nice looking model,very well detailed and the base is also very well done.The model had some standing issues at first though with the legs being in such a position that it wouldn't even stand on a flat surface so I let it sit in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes then I was able to manipulate the legs so the feet sat perfectly in the indents then I held it like that until it cooled.It now stands perfectly on the base!

Arrrgggghhhhhh,scratch that,it has gone back to how it was and just falls over.Sigh,I'm absolutely gutted,I really like these Rebor models but every one I have had has had problems.For the price I've paid for them I shouldn't have to modify them to do what they're supposed to!Now I'm seriously thinking whether or not carry on collecting these. :-\

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Wingrave27 on May 01, 2015, 06:03:37 PM
Quote from: Wingrave27 on May 01, 2015, 12:43:08 PM
Got mine this morning,very nice looking model,very well detailed and the base is also very well done.The model had some standing issues at first though with the legs being in such a position that it wouldn't even stand on a flat surface so I let it sit in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes then I was able to manipulate the legs so the feet sat perfectly in the indents then I held it like that until it cooled.It now stands perfectly on the base!

Arrrgggghhhhhh,scratch that,it has gone back to how it was and just falls over.Sigh,I'm absolutely gutted,I really like these Rebor models but every one I have had has had problems.For the price I've paid for them I shouldn't have to modify them to do what they're supposed to!Now I'm seriously thinking whether or not carry on collecting these. :-\
If it is true that the Rebor ceratosaurus not held correctly I had not charged my provider before commissioning a Rebor dinosaur from now on I will be well informed.

It is a lack of seriousness that each dinosaur Rebor has a defect, the Tirannosaurus with one leg, the utahraptor that does not hold good, yutyrannus that while holding is not exactly a perfect figure and now Rebor ceratosaurus surely to keep it foot has to be heated regularly with warm water.

For those prices they could and make better figures, better sustainability and do not presume to be the best brand in view and for market toy dinosaurs.

Dobber

Just got my Ceratosaurus, thanks go to Dan from Dan's Dinosaurs.  ;) It is a beautiful figure with an amazing base.

Unfortunately, mine also has legs that are bent towars each other, like its ankles where tied together. I ran them under very hot water, or a hairdryer would work as well, to bend them out. The trick is, that once you get them in the desired position, you need to run them under or place them in could water to help solidify the plastic again. Letting it gradually cool can allow them to revert back to their old shape.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

You could also place something like a tooth pick between them to hold apart the desired width until they cool and harden at least.

tyrantqueen

If you need something to support a sagging figure, I like to use a cotton bud (q tips in American :P)

I snip the fluffy ends off with scissors to the appropriate length and use the leftover plastic rod as a cheap and easy support. It's easier than buying a whole bunch of acrylic rods just for one figure.

Here's a demonstration with a notorious offender, the CollectA baby Tyrannosaurus. Mine doesn't have sagging issues but I just used it as an example.

stargatedalek

Shonisaurus

Good to know because when I get to prepare hot water, hair dryer and cotton swabs.

Thanks to my membership of the forum I learn tricks without being in the not know what to do.

Dobber

It's not a sagging problem like the Utahraptor, so a toothpick/q-tip won't help. The legs keep "squeezing" together so the figure falls over on it's side. Mine unfortunately just feel over again as the legs slowly started squeezing back together again.  >:(

Very disappointed REBOR....this is not an easy fix since the warm, bend, and cool fix doesn't seem to be working. They can be moved into position, but they seem to be returning to their original squeezed position.  :(

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Invicta Hunter

I find the hot water trick only works on hard plastic figures, any that are made of softer plastic like Papo just revert to their original stance.
I guess the best solution is to brace the legs with some wire and leave it for a month or two and hope it takes on the new shape.

Wingrave27

Well,I'm sorry to say I'm done with these,mine just keeps falling over no matter what I try,absolutely gutted.Its going to be hard to resist getting that Acro but I'm not paying the high price for these anymore.Worse still I know what Rebors wholsale prices and what we actually pay is shocking!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Wingrave27 on May 01, 2015, 11:58:02 PM
Well,I'm sorry to say I'm done with these,mine just keeps falling over no matter what I try,absolutely gutted.Its going to be hard to resist getting that Acro but I'm not paying the high price for these anymore.Worse still I know what Rebors wholsale prices and what we actually pay is shocking!

The Acro looks very stable, balanced.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Dobber on May 01, 2015, 07:41:12 PM
Just got my Ceratosaurus, thanks go to Dan from Dan's Dinosaurs.  ;) It is a beautiful figure with an amazing base.

Unfortunately, mine also has legs that are bent towars each other, like its ankles where tied together. I ran them under very hot water, or a hairdryer would work as well, to bend them out. The trick is, that once you get them in the desired position, you need to run them under or place them in could water to help solidify the plastic again. Letting it gradually cool can allow them to revert back to their old shape.

Chris

That's a pity.  Have you tried contacting Dan's Dinosaurs to see if he has any suggestions or can help?
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Simon

Guys - here's a suggestion:  after the hot water (or better, hot hairdryer treatment), hold the legs to the desired position, then run them under cold water so they harden..

THEN PUT THE FIGURE IN THE FREEZER FOR A GOOD HALF HOUR OR LONGER.

This has worked for me in the past and may prevent the vinyl from bending back.  Of course, doing all this, PLUS using something like a stick to keep the legs apart for a certain period might work as well.

Good luck with it.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Simon on May 02, 2015, 04:57:13 AM
Guys - here's a suggestion:  after the hot water (or better, hot hairdryer treatment), hold the legs to the desired position, then run them under cold water so they harden..

This has worked for me in the past and may prevent the vinyl from bending back.  Of course, doing all this, PLUS using something like a stick to keep the legs apart for a certain period might work as well.

Good luck with it.
I've tried that on both a Papo Diophosaurus and a Ffavorite Spinosaurus, they both ended up reverting.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

joossa

Well, I got it in the mail today and like Dobber, I have the exact same issue with the legs of the model. I got mine from Dan's Dinosaurs too and have contacted him asking if he knows how common this defect is. Obviously, not Dan's Dinosaur's fault, but clearly Rebor's as a lack of a quality control/assurance process in their manufacturing process.

Pretty disappointed in Rebor given the price I paid and the fact that they have been pretty vocal in stating that their models are of highest quality. A defect like this should not be present in a model that is advertised to be of such high caliber. A simple 5 second QA/QC of this product would identify the leg issue.
I took lots of pictures and will post several here. The  post after this one will contain the images depicting the two main problems I had with the model. One serious (the legs) and another not as bad (the lower jaw).
I will post all of the pictures I took in my collection topic after finishing this post.

The base is wonderful. I'm sure many of you will enjoy it if you end up getting it. The water effect is neat and the detail is great. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

The Ceratosaurus model is fantastic in terms of detail. The color, sculpt, and detail is just breathtaking in person. I'll get to the issue with the legs in a second, so bear with me. On my model, the "fungus" scales are much more subtle than in the stock photos and in person, work extremely will with the rest of the figure's composition.

Size comparison shots:

In the next post I will go over the problems with the model....
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

joossa

Alright, onto the problems...

The first problem is a minor issue. The jaw, I found, does not open all the way comparable to something like the articulation of the jaw of the Papo Allosaurus. You can pull it open all the way, but it will not stay completely open. Instead, it will immediately start closing by itself. I would say when left alone, it will stay open to about 50% to 60% of the max amount it could potentially be opened to. I'm sure with a little opening and closing, it will wear the hinges a bit making it easier to have the figure's mouth open to 100% of it's reasonable potential.

In the end, it still looks rather nice and has character with an open or closed mouth.

Now the more serious issue. The legs are warped and angled toward each other. This makes it impossible to have the figure stand on a flat, level surface. On the base, the figure's feet do not sit on the indents meant to provide support for the model at all. I could balance it on the base, but it result on the feet looking "off", sometimes hovering in the air and also results in the figure being in a less than ideal angle on the base.

Obviously, the pictures from the previous post show the model balanced on the base, but you'll notice the position of the legs is off and no where on the "mud indents" of the base. Also note that when one foot is level, the other is completely off and unable to provide support and balance.

Let me be clear.... My figure will NOT stand on a flat level surface. I used my finger to keep it from falling on it's side in the pictures when it's off the base.

-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Simon

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on May 02, 2015, 05:03:14 AM
Quote from: Simon on May 02, 2015, 04:57:13 AM

Good luck with it.
I've tried that on both a Papo Diophosaurus and a Ffavorite Spinosaurus, they both ended up reverting.

Yes, but those models use soft PVC (especially the Favorite Spino).  I do not know what sort of PVC the Ceratosaurus is made from, but the legs are pretty thick, so if you can heat them enough to make the reposition and then freeze them, it might work.

Arul

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: joossa on May 02, 2015, 05:33:52 AM
Now the more serious issue. The legs are warped and angled toward each other. This makes it impossible to have the figure stand on a flat, level surface. On the base, the figure's feet do not sit on the indents meant to provide support for the model at all. I could balance it on the base, but it result on the feet looking "off", sometimes hovering in the air and also results in the figure being in a less than ideal angle on the base.

Obviously, the pictures from the previous post show the model balanced on the base, but you'll notice the position of the legs is off and no where on the "mud indents" of the base. Also note that when one foot is level, the other is completely off and unable to provide support and balance.

Let me be clear.... My figure will NOT stand on a flat level surface. I used my finger to keep it from falling on it's side in the pictures when it's off the base.

I'm sorry but I did not understand one thing.  ???
It's clear that the figure does not stand on a flat surface.
But is it possible to balance the figure on its base in some position (without the heat treatment) even if not the best way ?
Or did the figure stay unbalanced even on its base?  :-\
Please, let me know   :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: