News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Doug Watson's collection

Started by Doug Watson, February 13, 2015, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joossa

Great stuff, Doug. Very nice. :)
Aw, I thought you would sneak in a future WS figure in the group shot hoping we wouldn't notice. ;) Keep up the great work on the WS figures. They are so impressive. If I could just throw it out there.... I would totally not mind if you did an ornithomimus in the near future.
-Joel
Southern CA, USA

My Collection Topic

Doug Watson

Quote from: joossa on April 25, 2015, 06:49:00 AM
Great stuff, Doug. Very nice. :)
Aw, I thought you would sneak in a future WS figure in the group shot hoping we wouldn't notice. ;) Keep up the great work on the WS figures. They are so impressive. If I could just throw it out there.... I would totally not mind if you did an ornithomimus in the near future.

Thank you for your comments and suggestion. Accidentally or intentionally revealing an unreleased piece could mean the end of my time on the forum or worse with Safari so when I took my shots of the original sculpts on page one I poured over the image several times to make sure I hadn't left any in there by accident.

Doug Watson

Here are some stragglers that I forgot along the way.

I meant to show these Chicago Field Museum Mold-A-Rama Dinosaurs with the Sinclair blow moulded dinos they were based on but forgot. I actually got the Brontosaurus off of ebay for around $18 before I knew they were still selling them at the Field. I picked up the rest of them on our last trip to the Field in 2005. If anyone else wants them contact Halichoeres here on the forum he has graciously offered to hook people up at a reasonable cost.

Some painted Invictas that I picked up along the way.

Two more mammoths the big one is marked Funrise 1988 China, the little pink/yellow what were they thinking one is just marked China.

Animatronic big Disney Carnotaurus from Thinkway Toys. Very faithful replica of the Disney character. I love anything animatronic and I got this guy at a flea market a long time ago. Everything works even the motion sensor trigger. Body, legs and arms are hard plastic, head and tail are rubber. It has walking motion, bobs and weaves, mouth opens and closes while roaring, great sound. I would have wore this out as a kid. Luckily Dodo (that's what is marked on the bottom) got bored with it I guess or maybe it scared her.

I still have a few other pieces like Kaiyodo Chocolasaurs etc and some more unbranded pieces but not enough to worry about posting. So that's it until my collection grows.

triceratops83

The marine reptiles got the best paint apps from the Invicta line.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Doug Watson

Quote from: triceratops83 on May 05, 2015, 02:26:44 PM
The marine reptiles got the best paint apps from the Invicta line.

Agreed and I was lucky to get all three in that lot.

Patrx

Whoah! I'm a little envious of that animatronic Carnotaurus. :D Very cool.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Patrx on May 05, 2015, 04:25:14 PM
Whoah! I'm a little envious of that animatronic Carnotaurus. :D Very cool.

I just noticed on eBay that there is a matching Aladar and they don't come cheap. I miss our old flea market.

Kayakasaurus

Hello Doug!

I am working on a 30" dino and I'm considering switching from epoxy to polymer for this one. The reason being, I want the model to have an over all consistent feel to it. It would be nice to work along the whole thing little by little and come back places. With Magic sculpt there is only about 50 mins of working time. So could you offer some advice on how you do larger sculpts like your unfinished T-Rex V.S. Trike or even the safari Apatosaurus? Thank you!
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Doug Watson

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on May 07, 2015, 12:57:13 AM
Hello Doug!

I am working on a 30" dino and I'm considering switching from epoxy to polymer for this one. The reason being, I want the model to have an over all consistent feel to it. It would be nice to work along the whole thing little by little and come back places. With Magic sculpt there is only about 50 mins of working time. So could you offer some advice on how you do larger sculpts like your unfinished T-Rex V.S. Trike or even the safari Apatosaurus? Thank you!

You shouldn't be hindered by size with magic sculpt because that is what I do, I work a little by little. It is just a matter of getting your technique down and knowing how much you can get done in a given time. I have used magic sculpt on many large pieces, I used to work for a giftware company out of Oklahoma and I did 4 life sized dogs and one life sized African Elephant baby for them out of Magic Sculpt. I also did a life sized WWI fighter pilot that stands 6 foot 9 inches on his base all with magic sculpt over foam. On the big pieces I actually work on larger areas at a time compared to the miniatures.
Here is the fighter pilot to show you how big you can go, I have seen some artists do even bigger pieces.

John

Looking through the pics of your collections,I just realized that the mammal line you did for Safari was ten years ago!
It does not feel like it has been that long!Lots of cool stuff you got,by the way! ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Doug Watson

Quote from: John on May 07, 2015, 06:19:36 AM
Looking through the pics of your collections,I just realized that the mammal line you did for Safari was ten years ago!
It does not feel like it has been that long!Lots of cool stuff you got,by the way! ;D

Yes, time has just flown by, I have been sculpting with Safari Ltd now for 12 years.

Arul

Doug Watson

Looking at deanm's great collection reminded me of the Canadian Mint's Prehistoric Creatures Glow in the Dark 25 cent coin series that he also collects. The series started in 2012 with a Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai (the mint makes the mistake of capitalizing the species name on the sleeve), then in 2013 they brought out the Tylosaurus pembinensis and the Quezalcoatlus and finally in 2014 they issued the Tiktaalik. On each coin there is a raised coloured rendering of the animal by artist Julius Csotonyi and when you turn off the lights a glow in the dark version of the skeleton appears. It is a little annoying that in the supplied info card they make no mention of the artists, you have to go to the Mint's web site and click on the specifications to find that out. On the reverse is an image of our Queenie by Suzanna Blunt.
They were all limited runs of 30000 and almost every coin sold out quickly at $29.95 CAD, now they are offered for resale in the hundreds. The only one that has not sold out yet is the Tiktaalik which is 78% sold out at this time.
The mint has also issued some fine silver $20 lower issue coins with non-coloured dinosaur images also by Julius Csotonyi, but they go for $89.95 new and I never got into those.
No new Glow in the Dark series coin yet for 2015 so I am not sure if they have closed the series.
I just noticed something taking these shots, the title text on the box sleeve is also glow in the dark.

My favourite is the Pachyrhinosaurus...surprise!

Complete set, so far.

2012 Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai

2013 Quetzalcoatlus

2013 Tylosaurus pembinensis

2014 Tiktaalik

2014 Tiktaalik glow in the dark version (hard to get a good shot)

deanm

;) Thanks for the additional details on the coin series.  I only became aware of the series when they released the second coin (as it was a pterosaur). But after seeing the artistic and production quality of the coin, I collected the remaining two of the series as well.   :)

Doug Watson

Quote from: deanm on May 22, 2015, 05:25:53 PM
;) Thanks for the additional details on the coin series.  I only became aware of the series when they released the second coin (as it was a pterosaur). But after seeing the artistic and production quality of the coin, I collected the remaining two of the series as well.   :)

You are welcome, great pterosaur collection by the way, I actually have a cast of the head and neck of one of my life size pteranodon that I plan to make into a wall hanger one of these days. Another of my many retirement projects :o. I wonder if the Mint is waiting for the Tiktaalik to sell out before issuing another coin? It is the first one of the series that didn't sell out almost immediately.

Doug Watson

Just added this Hasbro Jurassic World 15 Dinos bag to the collection. I grabbed the last one at a Walmart in Florida. We still don't have them in my neck of the woods in Canada.
I got two colour versions of the Indominus rex instead of the two T rex that I have seen elsewhere here. I got a brown on brown and a blue on grey.
As toys go I can see some kid having lots of fun playing with these and at $14.89 USD that's only $0.99 each.
Also nice to finally buy a Jurassic Park item new and retail instead of on eBay at inflated prices.

Arul

Yes i think minifigure is more interesting than the bigger figure  :D

mest

In 80'es soviet union made very good quality copies of maney Marx plastic figures. Also the same set of cavemen. These vere made atleast in dark brown and dark green colors. I have a set of vikings, cowboys, indians, romans and pirates - the copies of Marx figures.

Doug Watson

Quote from: mest on June 10, 2015, 02:36:52 PM
In 80'es soviet union made very good quality copies of maney Marx plastic figures. Also the same set of cavemen. These vere made atleast in dark brown and dark green colors. I have a set of vikings, cowboys, indians, romans and pirates - the copies of Marx figures.

Yes, I have seen lots of those on eBay especially the black cavemen, some companies in Mexico have some of the original Marx moulds for the Campus Cuties and Bathing Beauties. I have a set of Uncle Milton Marx Universal Monsters recasts. These and the others aren't knock offs since Marx sold off their moulds and gave up the rights when they liquidated.

Doug Watson

Forgot to add my Terra Pachyrhinosaurus sculpted by friend of the forum Dan LoRusso. With the demise of Target Canada I guess I will have to get any further Terra pieces from the interweb.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: