News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Doug Watson's collection

Started by Doug Watson, February 13, 2015, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 28, 2015, 11:27:36 PM
Do you make the resin originals at the eventual figure scale, or are they reduced for production?

There is a small percentage of shrinkage from my original sculpts and my resins to the production piece so I sculpt the original with that percentage factored in, usually around 4%.

Halichoeres

Thanks! Working that small it's impressive how much detail you can pack into the pieces, especially the toobs.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shadowknight1

Wow...didn't realize you were the sculptor of so many dinos for Safari.  Didn't realize that there was a Safari Microraptor available through the Toobs, I'd love to see a similar pose of that one but done in a bluish black, kinda like the Archaeopteryx.  And I mean as a larger figure of course lol.

And I spy two of my favorite WS dinos in there, the Acrocanthosaurus and the Yutyrannus!  Love both of them, glad that they're in my collection.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Doug Watson

I have been busy working so haven't had a chance to finish my collection so here are some of the 80s and up.

Here are my original issue Battats minus the 3 T rex versions. I originally bought a bunch at the ROM back in 2002 but I should have bought the whole lot since they were discontinued shortly after that and I ended up paying way too much for the rest on eBay. My wife did pick a few up at retail prices on a business trip to the BMOS. I got the Triceratops directly from Dan. I don't collect the minis so the only ones I am missing are versions 1 & 2 of the Dilophosaurus.

Here are versions 1, 2 & 3 of the T rex.

Here are the few Carnegies that I have.

Here are the Safaris I have that I didn't do. Sim has pointed out that the Corythosaurus is actually part of the Carnegie collection.

Here is my complete Kenner Amblin die-cast Jurassic park dinosaur set as well as my complete mint in package dinosaurs and cards from 1993.

My complete set of Dakin hard plastic Jurassic Park dinosaurs from 1992.

still more to come.....

Sim

It's nice seeing pieces in your collection closer!

Quote from: Doug Watson on April 20, 2015, 03:23:06 PM
I don't collect the minis so the only ones I am missing are versions 1 & 2 of the Dilophosaurus.
There's also a version 2 Battat Ceratosaurus, which I didn't see in your photos.  It's in a tripod pose.

Quote from: Doug Watson on April 20, 2015, 03:23:06 PM
Here are the Safaris I have that I didn't do.
The Corythosaurus is actually from the Carnegie Collection!

Doug Watson

Quote from: Sim on April 20, 2015, 11:38:35 PM
It's nice seeing pieces in your collection closer!
There's also a version 2 Battat Ceratosaurus, which I didn't see in your photos.  It's in a tripod pose.
The Corythosaurus is actually from the Carnegie Collection!

I had heard of the other Ceratosaurus, but I doubt I will chase that one down.

As for the Corythosaurus I bought that for my daughter before I started with Safari Ltd. and the other Carnegie dinos from the same era had Carnegie embossed on the belly so I assumed it was a Safari since that one doesn't have Carnegie only Safari but I checked my 2004 catalogue and you are correct. See you can learn something new every day.

Halichoeres

That's a nice set of Battats! Super stoked about the re-release.

Somewhere on here is there a list of the Safaris that you DID do?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

triceratops83

That Safari Brachiosaurus is the BEST figure of that animal. The Battats look awesome together.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 21, 2015, 02:43:16 AM
Somewhere on here is there a list of the Safaris that you DID do?

Not a list but if you look at the first page of this thread I have a couple photos showing the originals for the pieces released so far.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Doug Watson on April 21, 2015, 06:10:14 AM
Not a list but if you look at the first page of this thread I have a couple photos showing the originals for the pieces released so far.

So there is. The Dunkleosteus and the Kaprosuchus are among my favorite pieces from any line. Very nice work.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Impressive collection! You have a nice variety of dinosaurs.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 21, 2015, 01:46:37 PM
So there is. The Dunkleosteus and the Kaprosuchus are among my favorite pieces from any line. Very nice work.

Thank you am I glad you appreciate them.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on April 23, 2015, 01:49:12 AM
Impressive collection! You have a nice variety of dinosaurs.

Thank you, I enjoy them and appreciate the work that went into making them.

Doug Watson

More 80s & 90s

Some marbled Superior Marx reissues.

Ever since I did my life-size Mammoth group for the museum of Nature I like to pick up mammoths and mastodons. Here are my Marolin, Bullyland and Inpro mammoths/mastodons.

Imperial Smilodon and Mastodon.

A couple Playskool pieces that came with a dinosaur lot.

My complete set of metal dinosaur pencil sharpeners based on Timmee dinosaurs. The company is represented with a single A in a circle.

This is a grab bag of pieces I never would have gone after but they were in lots that I purchased and I kept them because they appear in the Dinosaur Toy Guide. There is a Chinasaur Stegosaurus, an Apatosaurus of unknown manufacture (anyone recognize it?), a UKRD Dimetrodon, three Larami pieces and three AAA dino eggs.

My complete set of Bullyland Disney prehistoric pieces.

Doug Watson

Some more Jurassic Park pieces from the 90s. I also have all the Horizon Jurassic Park Stan Winston vinyl models but except for the Raptor that is about 80% done all the others are still in the box so I'll only show them when they are done.

Kenner Dimetrodon & Hasbro Triceratops

Some mini Lost World & JP III figures that CityRaptor recently identified for me.

Doug Watson

Into the new millennium.

Some Disney Dinosaur figures.

A reissued Sega Tyrant King

X-Plus Styracosaurus

My collection of Papos, I tend to collect their JP influenced pieces.

Doug Watson

Finally here are the Safari Ltd pieces that I am responsible for.

My prehistoric Mammal Series 1.

My prehistoric Mammal Series 2.

Sue & Friends series for the Field Museum, I also have the boxed sets.

Pieces I did for the AMNH Feathered Dinos Toob and the Prehistoric Sealife Toob

My Dunkleosteus and Coelacanth

Most of my Wild Safari Ltd dinos to date.

These guys showed up late for the group shot, Dimorphodon & Liopleurodon.

My 2016 pieces.

postsaurischian

:) He, he, the X-Plus Styracosaurus is always standing in my back when I'm posting here and I have almost every figure you've made for Safari.

Quote from: Doug Watson on April 24, 2015, 01:48:50 PM
....... hopefully my personal Safari Ltd collection will continue to grow (it has already).

I'm curious to see what this will be :)!

Doug Watson

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 24, 2015, 09:36:02 PM
:) He, he, the X-Plus Styracosaurus is always standing in my back when I'm posting here and I have almost every figure you've made for Safari.

You will have to work on that "almost every figure" part ;) But seriously it is so neat to think that just like my collection of pieces sculpted by other artists makes me happy there are people out there adding my pieces to their collections whether they are adult collectors or little kids making childhood memories.

triceratops83

Quote from: Doug Watson on April 24, 2015, 01:48:50 PM
Finally here are the Safari Ltd pieces that I am responsible for.

All of your pieces look great together, a real nice cross section of prehistoric life. I have the feathered dino toob and the amount of detail in those tiny little figures is mind blowing. I hope you get to do more mammals, Mojo and Collecta need some good competition!
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: