News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Doug Watson's collection

Started by Doug Watson, February 13, 2015, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Just now seeing your Carnotaurus, very envious. If there was anything good to come from that Disney movie it was their Carnotaurus. Such an awesome character and design. I only have a couple of the little ones, been on the look out for the big guy but I guess I need to keep an eye out for this one too.

Some of those JP minis look more accurate than their movie counterparts!

Doug Watson

Quote from: Gwangi on June 23, 2015, 06:47:00 PM
Just now seeing your Carnotaurus, very envious. If there was anything good to come from that Disney movie it was their Carnotaurus. Such an awesome character and design. I only have a couple of the little ones, been on the look out for the big guy but I guess I need to keep an eye out for this one too.

Maybe you already know this but in the queue for the Dinosaur Ride at Disney's Animal kingdom they have a skeleton of the movie Carnotaurus. Using a little Disney imagineering they took a cast of an actual Tyrannosaurus skeleton added a sculpted Dinosaur Movie Carnotaurus skull, modified the forelimbs and shortened the tail. It makes for an impressive if not scientifically accurate display. This was all made necessary since the dino in the movie and in the ride is much bigger than a real Carnotaurus.

Gwangi

Quote from: Doug Watson on June 23, 2015, 07:16:40 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on June 23, 2015, 06:47:00 PM

Maybe you already know this but in the queue for the Dinosaur Ride at Disney's Animal kingdom they have a skeleton of the movie Carnotaurus. Using a little Disney imagineering they took a cast of an actual Tyrannosaurus skeleton added a sculpted Dinosaur Movie Carnotaurus skull, modified the forelimbs and shortened the tail. It makes for an impressive if not scientifically accurate display. This was all made necessary since the dino in the movie and in the ride is much bigger than a real Carnotaurus.

That is quite interesting and I didn't know that. Still a bit odd that they wouldn't just model the skeleton after the real life Carnotaurus. Surely a lot of people will go home with an even more skewed vision of what Carnotaurus was like. That said, it sounds impressive and I would love to see it!

stargatedalek

I'd like to see that too, sounds very impressive.

Those painted Invicta are beautiful! There is still scarcely a figure out there that can compare to Invicta's marine reptiles! ;D

CityRaptor

Quote from: Doug Watson on June 23, 2015, 07:16:40 PM

How very Disney.

Eh, at least it would give some credit to that one kid I saw in an exhibition about Argentinian Dinosaurs that called every single bipedal carnivore  in there, from Herrerasaurus to Giganotosaurus  TYRANNOSAURUS REX!!!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Doug Watson

Quote from: Gwangi on June 23, 2015, 08:00:50 PM
That said, it sounds impressive and I would love to see it!

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 23, 2015, 08:53:37 PM
I'd like to see that too, sounds very impressive.

Your wishes are my command, had to dig out some ancient prints from our 1999 trip. A real Carnotaurus is just so tiny compared to the Disney version especially the proportions of the head I can see why Disney did it, this is a place of fantasy after all (and marketing).  Another Disney trivia factoid, the ride actually proceeded the movie and was called Countdown to Extinction, I have our picture from the ride in a Countdown to Extinction frame. After the movie came out the ride name was changed to Dinosaur and a life-sized Aladar was placed in front replacing a Styracosaurus sculpture.

P.S. I just noticed that is my very tiny daughter standing in front of the Carnotaurus looking very nonchalant. She was only 7 at the time and at her insistence we went on the ride 13 times that trip. She is now 23 and we just went on it again this time with her boyfriend on our last trip, I feel sooo old.

Gwangi

Oh wow, thanks for going through all that trouble. It does indeed look quite impressive, just from the pictures alone. I can appreciate the fact that Disney is a place of fantasy and that this is the skeleton of the movie animal, not the real Carnotaurus. Did they have any kind of plaque or something stating that fact though? I have to wonder.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Gwangi on June 23, 2015, 09:46:01 PM
Oh wow, thanks for going through all that trouble. It does indeed look quite impressive, just from the pictures alone. I can appreciate the fact that Disney is a place of fantasy and that this is the skeleton of the movie animal, not the real Carnotaurus. Did they have any kind of plaque or something stating that fact though? I have to wonder.

There was a text panel showing the fleshed out Disney Carnotaurus but no they maintained the fantasy to the end. All the other fossils displayed as you work your way into the ride are actual casts with correct data. There are also lots of Brian Cooley life-size fleshed out dinos outside the ride in faux bronze as well as a copy of the skeleton of Sue the T rex. There are some fleshed out dinos by other sculptors as well like Michael Trcic.

CityRaptor

Alright, that does look quite impressive for as fake Dinosaur...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

Quote from: Doug Watson on June 23, 2015, 09:53:38 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on June 23, 2015, 09:46:01 PM

There was a text panel showing the fleshed out Disney Carnotaurus but no they maintained the fantasy to the end. All the other fossils displayed as you work your way into the ride are actual casts with correct data. There are also lots of Brian Cooley life-size fleshed out dinos outside the ride in faux bronze as well as a copy of the skeleton of Sue the T rex. There are some fleshed out dinos by other sculptors as well like Michael Trcic.

Well that's all good to hear but I'm a bit dismayed that they're basically displaying a fake dinosaur as fact alongside accurate interpretations. Maybe soon we will see a Godzilla skeleton at the American Museum of Natural History, or Indominus rex at the British History Museum. Kidding of course, but you get my point. A simple disclaimer would have been nice in this case, though like I said, I'm still impressed by the thing.

Simon

Actually, just as the original JP Velociraptors anticipated the discovery of Utahraptor with their size, you can now just think of that giant Disney Carnotaurus skeleton at the Dinosaur Ride as representing - Ekrixinatosaurus.

Amazing, ain't it?

Gwangi

Quote from: Simon on June 23, 2015, 11:39:05 PM
Actually, just as the original JP Velociraptors anticipated the discovery of Utahraptor with their size, you can now just think of that giant Disney Carnotaurus skeleton at the Dinosaur Ride as representing - Ekrixinatosaurus.

Amazing, ain't it?

I must admit that this was a new genus for me. I've never heard of Ekrixinatosaurus but upon just now looking it up it would seem that Carnotaurus was a larger animal and that the previous size estimates for Ekrixinatosaurus didn't take into account that the animal had a proportionately larger head than Carnotaurus. That's from a Wikipedia page but it does have a citation. 

Doug Watson

video post failed, I give up :'(

Concavenator

Amazing collection you got there,Doug.I've really enjoyed looking at the Safari originals in particular.Perhaps when Safari decides to unveal the 2016s you could post a pic of the originals,please?  :)

Doug Watson

Quote from: Concavenator on August 27, 2015, 07:01:32 PM
Amazing collection you got there,Doug.I've really enjoyed looking at the Safari originals in particular.Perhaps when Safari decides to unveal the 2016s you could post a pic of the originals,please?  :)

Sure, once Safari Ltd makes their official release I can add the originals for 2016.

stargatedalek

I'd love to see your original modern animals you made, do you have any photos of them on hand?

Doug Watson

Quote from: stargatedalek on August 28, 2015, 02:47:14 AM
I'd love to see your original modern animals you made, do you have any photos of them on hand?

Problem is I have done over 200 pieces now total so thats a lot of pictures. I could always do group shots at some point I guess.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 28, 2015, 06:04:29 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on August 28, 2015, 02:47:14 AM

Problem is I have done over 200 pieces now total so thats a lot of pictures. I could always do group shots at some point I guess.

200! How many do you do in a given year? I'm going to start a letter-writing campaign to Safari Ltd. to have you switch full time to prehistorics. I'm sorry, but the world needs more of your dinosaurs.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 28, 2015, 03:20:56 PM
200! How many do you do in a given year? I'm going to start a letter-writing campaign to Safari Ltd. to have you switch full time to prehistorics. I'm sorry, but the world needs more of your dinosaurs.

Actually these days I am doing more prehistorics than extant animals. I started in 2003 but I didn't do my first Wild Safari Dinos piece until 2007 with my Dunkleosteus, then I did the Liopleurodon the next year and it kind of took off after that with me doing more and more. I had done the Prehistoric Mammals and Field Museum pieces in 2004 but they weren't part of the WSD line at the time. I average around 14 pieces a year. Please don't get me dropped from the extant assignments Suspsy has me eating hamburger as it is with his coupons. :-\

Halichoeres

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 28, 2015, 03:57:53 PM
Please don't get me dropped from the extant assignments Suspsy has me eating hamburger as it is with his coupons. :-\

Ha ha ha, wouldn't want you demoted to spam. Carry on!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: