You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Robin - Goodfellow's Collection ( Collection "Tour" from page 113 )

Started by RobinGoodfellow, March 21, 2015, 11:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobinGoodfellow

In few days I'll be on vacation (after an hard working year.. ).

In the meantime I did a reservation; I'll receive it when I'll be back home: Sean Cooper 1:10 Thylacosmilus

(..not so easy to find..)

We will see again in September.. have a wonderful summer time..  ^-^

Bye

:)

Concavenator

avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow where do you order your PNSO figures from?

From what I have seen, it takes a lot of time until they arrive home, but that might be because, when they're bought from amazon, they're shipped directly from China?  ???

Good thing for us who live in Europe that ED got these new PNSO in stock, this way, they arrive a lot quicker.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Concavenator on July 23, 2019, 03:34:30 PM
avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow where do you order your PNSO figures from?

From what I have seen, it takes a lot of time until they arrive home, but that might be because, when they're bought from amazon, they're shipped directly from China?  ???

Good thing for us who live in Europe that ED got these new PNSO in stock, this way, they arrive a lot quicker.

...I live in Europe too but I ordered it directly from PNSO China by Amazon..
At the time (1 month ago) the Dakosaurus wasn't available on ED, so..

ceratopsian

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on July 23, 2019, 03:14:34 PM

In the Mail Today

..it took just one month ( one ....  ::)   :-X  )  to arrive at my home, so...  O:-)

PNSO Dakosaurus

That made me smile - a fun photo.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on July 23, 2019, 03:33:28 PM

In the meantime I did a reservation; I'll receive it when I'll be back home: Sean Cooper 1:10

Bye

Have a fabulous and well deserved vacation! Is that where you're going?  :D

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Bokisaurus on July 23, 2019, 06:55:03 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on July 23, 2019, 03:33:28 PM

In the meantime I did a reservation; I'll receive it when I'll be back home: Sean Cooper 1:10

Bye

Have a fabulous and well deserved vacation! Is that where you're going?  :D

Thank you  ^-^
Yes; I took that picture last summer on 2018.. ;D

( https://www.google.it/maps/place/Faro+marittimo+di+Capo+Testa/@41.246744,9.14314,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x12dbdfd35c49550b:0x26feccbea96f77d2!8m2!3d41.24674!4d9.1453287?hl=it )

RobinGoodfellow

..to be on vacation doesn't mean stop collecting so, while relaxing, I found some interesting pieces I ordered.

First of all a spectacular Sideshow diorama repainted by Martin Garratt: Velociraptor & Protoceratops

Then the M-See 1:15 Quetzalcoatlus (just a pre-order: it will be ready on December)

I also found an interesting but unbranded Mosasaur from China

Thanks to Brett, I ordered two of the new Expo resin figures: Mukawa-Ryu & Deinocheirus

So just some summer thoughts about collecting:

From 2014 to 2018 I almost completed my wish list about "classic" figures.
Nowadays there are few figures I'm still searching.
About pvc ones, the Safari Smilodon cub, PlayVision Platyhystrix and the Safari Missing Links Neanderthal Family.

Also some retrosaurus from Schleich quite easy to find (mainly because they look like dinos from my childhood)

About resins, some Favorite rarities ( probably I'll never find because I'm really bad at Yahoo Japan searching) : Museum Exclusive Mamenchisaurus and Fukuiraptor  /  1:1 Archaeopteryx.

That's all.

( pictures: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4597.0 )

Now the future.

After the big explosion on '80 and '90, Japan lost interest on prehistoric figures: just few expo exclusives once in a year at inflated prices.
Kaiyodo, Colorata, Kanna etc.. are fading away from my radar.
Only Favorite seems to be still interested on dinos..

In the meantime China is growing fast in quality, both for resins and pvc: PNSO, Dinone Studio, M-See, Vitae, Nanmu etc etc
China is my main interest at the time.

What about major brands ?

To be honest, I'm not so happy about last Safari figures.
I know that most of DTF members are from US and love Safari.
Doug Watson is a great artist and his sculpted prototypes are wonderful.
But the final, mass-produced figures have a "toyish" look that doesn't convince me at all (both for details and paint scheme).

On my opinion CollectA is the brand of the year: really great models.
The only negative is the paint scheme (not so natural or realistic).
If they will improve on that, CollectA will be a 10/10.

And Papo?  I really don't know: the "really" new for 2019 figures are starting to be on sale right now (on August  :o  :-X ), 8 months after first announcements.
I can't imagine when the new limited Spino could be really available.. >:D
Are we sure that Papo is in good health ?  ???

I'm  loosing interest about Rebor fast: crude and repetitive 3D texture on models taken from movies without a proper license. 

Bullyland disappeared; same for Battat.
Mojo Fun is just so and so.
Schleich seems to be divided between children and collectors (really good models alongside horrible creations).

Thanks God there is PNSO.

By now a big number of DTF members are focused on Mattel JP/JW: I've few of them but I'm not so interested on the movie-saga and/or action figures in general..

Have a wonderful summer.

^-^  :))  8)

Shonisaurus

Happy summer Robin and magnificent exhibition of your opinions on the various brands of toy dinosaurs and resin although in my case I do not agree with some of your statements but as a specialized collector you are you will have your reasons.

Have a great summer!

ceratopsian

The repaint of the Sideshow diorama is stunning - I am most envious!  I have been intrigued for years by the fossil on which it is based - it really captures the imagination.

Interesting to read your collecting opinions.  I find myself in broad (but not total) agreement with much of what you say.  My focus at present is also China.

Concavenator

Your collection thread is one of my favorites out of the forum.Your photos are great.

I agree with you in that CollectA has been the best company (out of the major brands) this year. Not a lot of models,but the lineup has very interesting species, and the quality of their models sure has improved a lot.

Every single model from CollectA this year has been really good.I, however, find the paint schemes that CollectA have chosen for this year are really nice, unlike previous years, that were pretty much hit or miss.I haven't seen the models in real life so I haven't seen the quality of the paint job, but from what I have seen, they look decent.

avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow , out of CollectA's 2019 lineup, which figure is your favorite?

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Concavenator on August 06, 2019, 02:20:21 PM
Your collection thread is one of my favorites out of the forum.Your photos are great.

I agree with you in that CollectA has been the best company (out of the major brands) this year. Not a lot of models,but the lineup has very interesting species, and the quality of their models sure has improved a lot.

Every single model from CollectA this year has been really good.I, however, find the paint schemes that CollectA have chosen for this year are really nice, unlike previous years, that were pretty much hit or miss.I haven't seen the models in real life so I haven't seen the quality of the paint job, but from what I have seen, they look decent.

avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow , out of CollectA's 2019 lineup, which figure is your favorite?

Thank you very much.

From Collecta 2019 lineup the figure I like the most is the Elasmotherium: really impressive on the eyes  8)

The best models I bought on 2019 (until now) is the 1:10 Scutosaurus by Shane Foulkes.

The figures I like the most in my all collection are:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157672043244856

What about you? What's your best figure?

Shonisaurus

For me the two best Collecta figures are carnotaurus, edaphosaurus and elasmotherium, regardless of the fact that the rest of the figures are great (baryonyx, cauiuajara, borealopelta), perhaps for me the weakest figure in the group is fukuiraptor.

Nimravus

I really enjoy watching threads from other's collection, but I must admit that  yours is absolutely astonishing! Thanks for sharing! Your best pieces are masterpieces of prehistoric sculptures!

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on August 06, 2019, 11:08:09 AM
To be honest, I'm not so happy about last Safari figures.
I know that most of DTF members are from US and love Safari.
Doug Watson is a great artist and his sculpted prototypes are wonderful.
But the final, mass-produced figures have a "toyish" look that doesn't convince me at all (both for details and paint scheme).

I agree with you with regards to the Safari's figures released this year. Everyone seems to be excited about them, but I am not really. As you mentioned, Doug Watson is a master on sculpting prehistoric figures (his feathered Tyranno is one of my favourite figures), but Safari's mass production has worsened his wonderful work! Please bear in mind that this is my very personal opinion, so hopefully I will not offend anyone.

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on August 06, 2019, 11:08:09 AM
Thanks God there is PNSO.

By now a big number of DTF members are focused on Mattel JP/JW: I've few of them but I'm not so interested on the movie-saga and/or action figures in general.

Yes, PNSO was reborn from their ashes like a phoenix and they have had a wonderful year!

W.r.t. Mattel JP/JW I am not a fan of those figures, but I cannot deny that they must be wonderful like toys!  :))

Shonisaurus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on July 22, 2019, 10:11:32 AM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on July 21, 2019, 04:24:37 PM
(...) both the allosaurus and the Safari camarasaurus (both without lips)

?? ???   ???

Excuse me Robin I was wrong to write it I mean the allosaurus and camarasaurus with lips.

Concavenator

avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow Well,it's hard to say as, like I said, all of this year's CollectA's models are fantastic, although in my opinion the best one is probably the Carnotaurus.This species is known from very good remains, and that makes most (not Schleich though) of the Carnotaurus figures on the market relatively accurate.But CollectA's version is definetely the most accurate and the one that truly captures the essence of the dinosaur.Carnegie's version comes pretty close, but when it comes to pose, CollectA's version has the upper hand.It ultimately is a beautiful and natural representation of a dinosaur that's clasically been depicted as a demon with frightening features.

The Edaphosaurus is an equally awesome model, but dinosaurs are my main preference, so that's why the Carno is my favorite.The Baryonyx is also very good, the best one right now (yeah, better than Favorite's imo, it's potentially more accurate due to the longe neural spines as well as I prefer its design).

So those 3 are my favorites.However, Robin, in your opinion, since you have both the Bary and the Carno, which figure do you prefer?

PhilSauria

Great summery of the current state of the collecting landscape, I pretty much agree with all of your comments on this.

I am a big fan of the product coming from PNSO, the highly naturalistic aesthetic they put into their models really does make the releases from some of the other brands look decidedly toyish! As I commented the other day, I had intended to pick up all of this year's Spinosaur models but the more I look at the PNSO and Papo and then the Safari version of this animal the less I am inclined to buy by it.

The Mattel product was a bit of a side interest as I don't put them in the same category as our regular brands, but some of them are quite decent and they have become curiously addictive.

Have a great Summer (we are still in Winter over here in Australia),

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Concavenator on August 06, 2019, 10:34:38 PM
However, Robin, in your opinion, since you have both the Bary and the Carno, which figure do you prefer?

In my opinion, Carnotaurus.
The articulated jaw on Bary is a little bit strange when it's closed..  ;)

Full Res Pics herehttps://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157652742050516

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: PhilSauria on August 06, 2019, 10:55:48 PM

The Mattel product was a bit of a side interest as I don't put them in the same category as our regular brands, but some of them are quite decent and they have become curiously addictive.

I can fully understand. I bought some of them too.
I'd like to have the big Brachio..  ;)

Quote from: PhilSauria on August 06, 2019, 10:55:48 PM
Have a great Summer (we are still in Winter over here in Australia),

Years ago I was at Argentina on December.
It was quite strange for an European guy to spend Christmas on the beach, at 39°C, swimming..  ;D

Shonisaurus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on August 07, 2019, 08:36:10 AM
Quote from: Concavenator on August 06, 2019, 10:34:38 PM
However, Robin, in your opinion, since you have both the Bary and the Carno, which figure do you prefer?

In my opinion, Carnotaurus.
The articulated jaw on Bary is a little bit strange when it's closed..  ;)

Full Res Pics herehttps://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157652742050516

That is one of my reasons why I like more theropods without articulated jaws and with fixed bases among other aspects. I prefer Carnotaurus to Collecta baryonyx. Totally agree. Apart from that without having it physically the Collecta baryonyx seems a bit squat.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: