News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pachyrhinosaurus' Sculpts [2015-2017]

Started by Pachyrhinosaurus, April 05, 2015, 02:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Pachyrhinosaurus

Thanks. Here's my first real attempt at a drawing with oil pastels:

[Image Removed]

I've been informed that there are actually spikes on the shell, but it seems to be a common problem since most other depictions leave them out as well. The tylosaurus wasn't working too well. There were balance and size-related problems so I re-used some of the parts for this quetzalcoatlus:

[Image Removed]

I didn't add the mesh for the wings yet since I wanted to make sure the proportions and posture are alright.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Pachyrhinosaurus

Here are some WIP photos of the glyptodon. I decided that I will eventually cast this one to sell copies if there is any interest. I'm looking for feedback on this one in particular since I want it to be the best it can be as I may make copies. A particular point of interest is the texture. I'm not quite sure if I should use the stamp (pictured) or change the texture to a more defined look. The final result of the stamp is more well-defined than in the pictures, however I have seen more uniform and dramatic textures as well for glyptodonts. This and any proceeding models will be in 1:40 scale.

[Images Removed]
Save Dinoland USA!

Pachyrhinosaurus

It's been a while since I updated this thread, but I got the quetz done on time for my town's fair. It earned a first place ribbon, which was a welcome surprise considering that this was my first year in the 'adult' category.

[Images Removed]

Here it is with others that I entered into the fair in years past, my own personal March of Progress:

[Image Removed]

R-L Brontosaurus excelsus, 2011, 1st place. Torosaurus sp., 2012, 2nd place, Stegosaurus ungulatus, 2013, 1st place, Parasaurolophus cyrtocristatus, 2015, 1st place, Quetzalcoatlus northropi, 2016, 1st place.
I also pretty much finished the glyptodon sculpt. Just have to bake it then it's time to buy molding/casting supplies!

[Image Removed]
Save Dinoland USA!

Jose S.M.

The quetz is awesome, congratulations! The Parasaurolophus looks great too. I'm on my phone so the smaller ones are difficult to see in detail but pretty sure they're good too.

Halichoeres

Congrats on your well-deserved win!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

You're going to need a bigger awards shelf! Congratulations and well done!

Tyto_Theropod

Congratulations and well deserved by the looks of it! All your sculpts are beautiful, but my favourite is definitely the Parasaurolophus. Oe thing I do think is that the Quetz's eye is kind of hard to see, at least in the photos. Without making it too big, one thing you could perhaps do would be make it a bit brighter and shinier?
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Pachyrhinosaurus

Thanks for the positive comments!

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on November 01, 2016, 05:52:36 PM
Oe thing I do think is that the Quetz's eye is kind of hard to see, at least in the photos. Without making it too big, one thing you could perhaps do would be make it a bit brighter and shinier?

Eye agree. It was made to-scale but it blends in with the pycnofibers well enough that I almost had to guess where to paint it. I could have defined it a little better.

Here's the completed glyptodon. Once I order mold making supplies and cast a few I'll put them up for sale... if there's interest.

[Images Removed]
Save Dinoland USA!

Jose S.M.

The Glyptodon looks really good!

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on November 03, 2016, 01:28:29 AM
Eye agree.

Eye see what you did there!

Glypto is looking very nice, but perhaps needs a little more detail on the head armour. I assume thought that you'd add that anyway without me nagging. I would maybe buy it is if was small enough not to be too fragile, so I'm sure other people with more room for resins and more interest in the Pleistocene will also be interested! :)
______________________________________________________________________________________

Pachyrhinosaurus

Thanks!

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on November 03, 2016, 06:42:47 PM

Glypto is looking very nice, but perhaps needs a little more detail on the head armour. I assume thought that you'd add that anyway without me nagging. I would maybe buy it is if was small enough not to be too fragile, so I'm sure other people with more room for resins and more interest in the Pleistocene will also be interested! :)

The photos are a bit deceptive (Beige clay isn't as photogenic as gray) but I used exactly the same stamp for the head armor as the carapace, but I could probably go back over it with something for more definition if I can.
Save Dinoland USA!

Tyto_Theropod

Don't if you feel you spoil it, I'd prefer it if you didn't worry about my opinion than if you messed up all your hard work. ;)

Pachyrhinosaurus

After careful consideration, I have decided not to cast the glyptodon. I'm not quite happy with the sculpt in general (it's more than what you pointed out, Tyto). I'm also in the process of beginning another sculpture. Not going to cast it, but it will be made in pieces as to serve as practice for future kits that I will cast (and more proximally, to fit in the oven!).

[Images Removed]
Save Dinoland USA!

Killekor

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on November 16, 2016, 02:09:24 AM
After careful consideration, I have decided not to cast the glyptodon. I'm not quite happy with the sculpt in general (it's more than what you pointed out, Tyto). I'm also in the process of beginning another sculpture. Not going to cast it, but it will be made in pieces as to serve as practice for future kits that I will cast (and more proximally, to fit in the oven!).

Wow! Fantastic sculptures, that's a Diplodocus?

Thanks

Predasaurskillekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Predasaurskillekor on November 16, 2016, 11:02:08 AM
Wow! Fantastic sculptures, that's a Diplodocus?

Thank you. It'd actually going to be the AMNH titanosar in 1:40 scale. I don't know why I  forgot to say so in my last post.
Save Dinoland USA!

DinoLord

I look forward to it. The AMNH titanosaur is truly something to behold.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I had some extra time after finals so I re-installed sculptris and this occurred:

[Images Removed]
Save Dinoland USA!

Pachyrhinosaurus

It's been a while and I noticed I haven't been updating the thread. Here are some of my recent pieces.
First, concavenator:

[Images Removed]

And Toxodon:

[Images Removed]

Next, Estemmenosuchus:

[Images Removed]

In progress here is my alamosaurus pair. Due to its size, I decided to put the titanosaur on hold and make a smaller species instead.

[Image Removed]

Then there's this. Any guesses?  ;)

[Image Removed]

That's all for now but I have something else in the works that I'll show real soon.
Save Dinoland USA!

BlueKrono

Dimetrodon? Or is that too mainstream?  8)
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: