News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Collections By Category

Started by DarkPhantom, April 08, 2015, 07:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkPhantom

Am I the only one who is detail oriented too insane about classification when it comes to putting my figures together?

I see a lot of Cretaceous Gondwanan replicas mixed with Laurasian, or even with Permian animals, and so on.

Example:

When I put my models together I try to make sure they would have shared the same areas, terrain, and time. My wife, who puts up with A LOT about dinosaurs (and has zero interest in the subject, but still feigns interest to appease me   ^-^ ), is happy that I put as much work into it as I do, but she is confused as to why it matters that a T-Rex and a Stegosaurus would have never met in real life.

Does anyone else look at it this way, or are your models grouped by specific animal species (hadrosaurs, ankylosaurs, etc.), company, or whatever is the most aesthetically pleasing?

sauroid

if i would display my figures, i would arrange them according to animal types instead of geologic period or by brands.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Halichoeres

I definitely have different shelves for different epochs/places. When I started it was very finely divided (Maastrichtian separate from Campanian, Mongolia separate from Laramidia), but I just don't have that many shelves unless I put my books in storage, so I lumped things together like so: Cambrian, Devonian, Permian, Triassic, Jurassic, Jurassic marine, Early Cretaceous 1:30-1:50 scale, Cretaceous 1:4-1:15 scale, Late Cretaceous 1:30-1:50 scale, Cretaceous marine.

But I'm a biologist, so I feel like it's kind of my job. :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DarkPhantom

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 08, 2015, 08:16:13 PM
...so I lumped things together like so: Cambrian, Devonian, Permian, Triassic, Jurassic, Jurassic marine, Early Cretaceous 1:30-1:50 scale, Cretaceous 1:4-1:15 scale, Late Cretaceous 1:30-1:50 scale, Cretaceous marine.

But I'm a biologist, so I feel like it's kind of my job. :)

Makes sense.

Takama

CityRaptor

I also display mine by brand, usually with similar sized figues together. That however also means that 2 Godzillas and a V-Rex hang out with my larger JP and TLW Dinosaurs.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

I used to group mine taxonomically. Recently I've played around a bit and tried displaying them based on company. Didn't care for that (though some like Invicta and Papo display well together) and now they are just randomly placed on the shelf. I can't really try to display them based on geographic location and time period due to shelf space. Not really liking the random placement I have going now, think I'll go back to taxonomic groupings.

Dinosaurana

I do phylogenetic organization with the saurians, have a shelf for aquatics and Paleozoic, and one for Cenozoic. The top is the ones that don't fit nicely into the little CD shelf display case.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I usually have mine displayed by line, just because they are all done by the same or similar sculptors and styles, and fit together well. However, I do mix my Battats on my Wild Safari shelf, which is organized in chronological order.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

tanystropheus

Originally, I was displaying my figures based on aesthetics, texture quality, level of color contrast etc.....then, things started getting confusing. Now, I separate by brands. Safari and Carnegie are similar enough and are juxtaposed. Same with Papo and Rebor. I don't have a large enough Schleich or CollectA collection, but I would imagine that I would separate them by brands, also.

To a lesser extent, I categorized by type. Ceratopsians together. Sauropods together.

Ikessauro

I separate my figures by Brand and lines. I don't have enough space for epoch and territory organization, so I try to keep the figures of a same line together. Their style is similar, so they complement each other and makes the job of checking what I have and what I don't much easier if I forget something. I am kind of a completist, so I keep checking my lines to complete them and I also like to photograph my figures too and organize the pics by company and line on my computer. The toys being displayed together sorted by company makes this task a lot faster.

triceratops83

All of my figures are Cretaceous, so that's not an issue (mostly Campanian and Maastrichtian). I've got four bookcases of Triceratops, with one shelf for Torosaurus, another bookcase for other Marginocephalians (one shelf for Basal Ceratopsians and Pachycephalosaurs, and one shelf each for Centrosaurines and Chasmosaurines) And a couple of wall mounted shelves for Ornithopods. And my windowsill for the occasional random dinosaurs.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

amargasaurus cazaui

Wow but mine are a mess to sort..I have pterosaurs, and then permian -pre-dinosaur, feathered dinosaurs, plateosaurus and iguanodonts, retro shelf, Repaints, Kaiyodos, nodosaurs and stegosaurids, basal ceratopsians, derived ceratopsians, duckbills, theropods, sauropods, sea monsters, and then other shelves that are divided for bones with morphology, odd and end bones, bone scraps and bits, marine fossils, dinosaur spheres, regular spheres, etc. Its getting crowded in here
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

laticauda

I enjoy changing it up from time to time.  Since I don't have enough room to display them all, I have to rotate them anyway.  So for the ones that are displayed it is all about them looking good together, having symmetry, and sometimes a theme. 

Pawnosuchus

In my Garage World(see collections Page 2) I try to separate them by geological ages. Due to space limitations I have many of the Pre-Dinosaur (Permian, Devonian, etc.) squeezed together. My Triassic, Jurassic, and Cretaceous Eras are separated from each other but not broken down by Early, Late, etc. The prehistoric mammals are all lumped together. The marine Reptiles are somewhat of a mix. I didn't allow for enough water habitats. Overall I definitely try to keep them in a roughly accurate geological order. For me it creates more of an illusion of the individual ecosystems.

Libraraptor

Three or four years ago we used to have a thread I opened called "Different styles of collecting", which could as well have been named "Different styles of displaying".
As for me, I said it before, I don´t display by brand or age. I tell between more valuable figures which I put in a cabinet, and the ones my children can play with which I put in open shelves, roughly sorted like "Ceratopsians, big carnivores, small carnivores, Hadrosaurs.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Libraraptor on April 11, 2015, 01:52:08 PM
Three or four years ago we used to have a thread I opened called "Different styles of collecting", which could as well have been named "Different styles of displaying".
As for me, I said it before, I don´t display by brand or age. I tell between more valuable figures which I put in a cabinet, and the ones my children can play with which I put in open shelves, roughly sorted like "Ceratopsians, big carnivores, small carnivores, Hadrosaurs.

We can merge the two, if someone can point me to the other one... ;)

SBell

Quote from: Libraraptor on April 11, 2015, 01:52:08 PM

I'm lucky--my kids are old enough to know which ones that they can pull out of the cabinets, and to be careful no matter what.

Although I did just get some new book cases that don't have doors. I'll probably put less 'valuable' models like CollectA & Safari on those--because they're bigger, and easier to dust. My entire office is going to be a desk and shelves.

DarkPhantom

I'm looking to customize all of my figures before displaying them. I'm in the process of making my Papo Spinosaurus into a crocodile-style paint job.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.