You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobber

Yeah not really on the quill bandwagon yet either. For confirmed species sure, but aren't there several skin impressions that show different sized scales? If quills are to be added, I would prefer to keep it minimal and above the tail like What is known. Some of those comments want them everywhere, the more the better. That's not for me personally.  :(

Ultimately, it probably doesn't even matter for me as I will probably only get 1 or 2 of these as I'm really not that into Ceratopsians.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

stargatedalek

There is nothing to suggest derived ceratopsians had quills like Psittacosaurus. Several species show evidence of spines more akin to thorny devil lizards however, where they're formed entirely of scale.

Dobber

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 17, 2017, 02:08:10 PM
There is nothing to suggest derived ceratopsians had quills like Psittacosaurus. Several species show evidence of spines more akin to thorny devil lizards however, where they're formed entirely of scale.

Cool, I did not know that. Thanks for the info.  :)

Chris

DinoLord

I did ask David about the quills in the comments.

So you are set on quills?

Creative Beast Studio: Only on the ones it makes sense for which won't be many.

Here are some other comments of his in reply to other people:

There really isn't much evidence for quills on larger species so I don't plan to use them too much. I'm seeing if there is a way to work in Psittacosaurus.

I like the idea of giving people the option of removable quills on a few figures, but if that isn't practical, I will likely use them very sparingly.

Derek.McManus

Possibly if the Raptor series is successful and demand is there some European dealer and indeed dealers in other parts of the world may decide to stock these products?

Dobber

Quote from: DinoLord on February 17, 2017, 02:34:01 PM
I did ask David about the quills in the comments.

So you are set on quills?

Creative Beast Studio: Only on the ones it makes sense for which won't be many.

Here are some other comments of his in reply to other people:

There really isn't much evidence for quills on larger species so I don't plan to use them too much. I'm seeing if there is a way to work in Psittacosaurus.

I like the idea of giving people the option of removable quills on a few figures, but if that isn't practical, I will likely use them very sparingly.

That's good to hear. Some of the commenters where going a little quill crazy with what they where wanting.  :o

Chris

Daspletotyrannus

When he does the ceratopsian next is Protoceratops in scale with the Velociraptor he already has done?  I know the other ceratopsians are not. I really hope it is. 

Sim

Quote from: Dobber on February 17, 2017, 12:22:58 PM
Yeah not really on the quill bandwagon yet either. For confirmed species sure, but aren't there several skin impressions that show different sized scales? If quills are to be added, I would prefer to keep it minimal and above the tail like What is known. Some of those comments want them everywhere, the more the better. That's not for me personally.  :(

Ultimately, it probably doesn't even matter for me as I will probably only get 1 or 2 of these as I'm really not that into Ceratopsians.

Chris
Quote from: Dobber on February 17, 2017, 03:51:28 PM
That's good to hear. Some of the commenters where going a little quill crazy with what they where wanting.  :o

I agree.  As far as I know, the only integument known for ceratopsids is scales, and ceratopsid skin impressions show the scales appear to have specific arrangements with regards to the scale size and shape.  For some ceratopsid species, the scaly skin impressions known are large too.  This skin impression is from Chasmosaurus: link  Scales from Triceratops are described in the last part of this post: link

Faelrin

Well I left some questions on the kickstarter page, because I am wondering now, and still a bit worried about the whole quills thing, if being honest. I am wondering which ones will have them (protoceratopsids perhaps), if any do, and how they will be done. Removable quills sounds like a good option, but I guess depending on how they are done, if included I may be fine with them. I'd prefer them as subtle as possible if they have to be included on the larger ceratopsians. I'm totally fine with how CollectA does it for their ceratopsians, but I think anything more, may be too excessive for me.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

I'm just afraid that removable quills will shoot the already high prices even further up

Sim

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on February 17, 2017, 04:07:32 PM
When he does the ceratopsian next is Protoceratops in scale with the Velociraptor he already has done?  I know the other ceratopsians are not. I really hope it is.

David has said he's planning to make smaller ceratopsians like Protoceratops in the same scale as the figures from the raptor series (1:6 scale).  He said he's also planning to make smaller ceratopsians and some of the raptors in the same scale as the larger ceratopsians (1:18 scale) in 2-packs.

Daspletotyrannus

Quote from: Sim on February 18, 2017, 02:26:46 AM
Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on February 17, 2017, 04:07:32 PM

David has said he's planning to make smaller ceratopsians like Protoceratops in the same scale as the figures from the raptor series (1:6 scale).  He said he's also planning to make smaller ceratopsians and some of the raptors in the same scale as the larger ceratopsians (1:18 scale) in 2-packs.
Ok. Thank you for the info.

Did that red Velociraptor he showed on Valentine's Day did that ever go on pre-order?  Or did I miss it? Lol

Nanuqsaurus

Any word if the raptors (or maybe the ceratopsians later) will be available on Everything Dinosaur/Urzeitshop?

Roselaar

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on February 19, 2017, 08:06:28 AM
Any word if the raptors (or maybe the ceratopsians later) will be available on Everything Dinosaur/Urzeitshop?

I've asked Mr. Silva to consider it and he was all for it. Doesn't mean it will happen though, though I refuse to believe both sites would be uninterested in the offer. Maybe we need to pressure them a bit as to the idea... For European collectors, availability on either site is the only chance to make this line really affordable. At least, if you're a completist collector like myself. :)

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Roselaar on February 19, 2017, 02:37:01 PM

I've asked Mr. Silva to consider it and he was all for it. Doesn't mean it will happen though, though I refuse to believe both sites would be uninterested in the offer. Maybe we need to pressure them a bit as to the idea... For European collectors, availability on either site is the only chance to make this line really affordable. At least, if you're a completist collector like myself. :)

Well, I'm not really a completist, I'm just afraid of spending money :P But these raptors are just too good to pass up. I'll send a message to David, just to show him he has European fans who would really love to have his figures in their collection!

EDIT: David said he'll contact Everything Dinosaur and Urzeitshop to see if they're interested. I really hope this works out! :)

Roselaar

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on February 19, 2017, 03:17:59 PM
Quote from: Roselaar on February 19, 2017, 02:37:01 PM

Well, I'm not really a completist, I'm just afraid of spending money :P But these raptors are just too good to pass up. I'll send a message to David, just to show him he has European fans who would really love to have his figures in their collection!

EDIT: David said he'll contact Everything Dinosaur and Urzeitshop to see if they're interested. I really hope this works out! :)

Good job! The more Europeans harass him with the same request, the more chance it'll happen. ;) Or he'll get a nervous breakdown from all the pestering...

Flaffy

The red velociraptor 'variant'

I'm personally not a fan of this, the blue one looked better

Daspletotyrannus

I can't wait to pre-order this. I can't get the blue one so this will work for me. I am going to get this and the amber babies.  I already pre-ordered the regular Velociraptor and the Desert set. If anything I can say the red one the male and the regular one the female.  I can't see a difference by looking at the pictures.  I not even sure if the difference between them in the fossils at a glance.

Faelrin

The feet and hands look a bit too yellow for me, but if this is WIP here, I'm hoping it might be toned down for the final version. I still like the blue one over this one, and I am glad to have been able to get one of those. I do like red as a color, and I'll wait to see the final one, before I make my decision, although I am still quite satisfied with the ones I've already ordered. I have two pairs as well (the two Velociraptors, and the two Dromaeosaurus figures), and another getting another Velociraptor figure would uneven that one particular pairing.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on February 24, 2017, 04:21:28 AM
I can't see a difference by looking at the pictures.  I not even sure if the difference between them in the fossils at a glance.

The Velociraptor osmolskae figures are just repaints of the Velociraptor mongoliensis figure.  V. osmolskae is only known from fragments of the skull.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: