You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daspletotyrannus

Quote from: Sim on February 24, 2017, 01:16:08 PM
Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on February 24, 2017, 04:21:28 AM
I can't see a difference by looking at the pictures.  I not even sure if the difference between them in the fossils at a glance.

The Velociraptor osmolskae figures are just repaints of the Velociraptor mongoliensis figure.  V. osmolskae is only known from fragments of the skull.

I figured that much. And he did say it was I think on Facebook. But thank you for the info.

Sim

New Kickstarter update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/creativebeast/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-raptor-series-action-figure/posts/1817320

David mentioned the tooling process will likely take a few more weeks to complete due to the high parts count, so in the comments I asked if he thinks the Zhenyuanlong and Dromaeosaurus figures could get longer tibia parts.  I'm not expecting longer tibias to be made for those figures, but I thought, if I don't ask the answer will definitely be no.

Faelrin

Worth a shot right? Thankfully I was okay with the prototype ones (I mean the Dromaeosaurus figures), so I'd still be okay if they didn't, although they would be more accurate with longer ones.

The final paint job looks a little better to me then the WIP pic. The yellows on the back with the red kind of gives it a fiery sunrise type look for me. Come to think of it, this red one had lips too. Might give an idea of how the blue one will turn out with the lips, since the prototype didn't.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ZoPteryx

If it wasn't for the DTF, I never would've known about this awesome project!  So I'd like to give a big thank you to all those who have been posting updates and comments here. :) And I am not ashamed to say I spent way too much money on these and still have plans to get more! >:D

Personally, I don't mind that there's a few inaccuracies.  We all wish they were perfect of course, but given the scope of the project and level of detail already at play I think what little these figures lack if forgivable.  I will say though, aesthetically speaking, I do wish there was a little more variety in the tail feathers.  It'd be nice if there was some space between larger feathers at the end or if one style was given more decorative plumes.

Sim

David posted this on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BeastSculptKit/photos/a.125819777433236.23596.113487525333128/1668814626467069/?type=3&theater

"More progress on the ceratopsian action figure designs. Trying to find a way to fit these guys into the next Beasts of the Mesozoic series."

Halichoeres

I'm already more excited for the ceratopsians than I was for the raptors.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Minmiminime

I hope he does these! I'd actually be a lot more interested in these than the large ones, and I'm guessing they'd probably work out cheaper. I wonder if he'd be interested in adding Aquilops to that lineup...
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Silvanusaurus

With all those different proportions, this is certainly more ambitious than the raptor line. Almost makes me wish I liked ceratopsians... although I'd be tempted by the Psittacosaurus.

ZoPteryx

Looking good so far!  I'm definitely more excited for these 1/6 basal ceratopsians than the main line, sure hope there's more than just these five.

Daspletotyrannus

I know I am going to get the Protoceratops. But now I'm thinking of getting the Psittacosaurus too. Can't wait to display them with the raptors I ordered.  I wonder if we are going to be getting a nest set for them and a display base for them too. I figured Psittacosaurus will get a base. I hope we do get one for the Protoceratops too.

Faelrin

While I'm excited for the Protoceratops, that Psittacosaurus will probably be a must have for me too, if it becomes reality. And like with the first series, I'm already learning of dinosaurs I've never heard of before, like Turanoceratops.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoLord

If anyone is concerned (as I was) about the shrinkwrapping in this preliminary drawing some comments from David on Facebook should be reassuring.

User 1: They look a bit shrinkwrapped though :/ I thought the point was that these were gonna be accurate? The raptors are fleshed out...

Creative Beast Studio: These drawings are not meant to represent the final versions. They are only meant to serve as general designs so I can decide where to put articulation and what parts can be shared. Toy designs are meant to be efficient more so than illustrative. Adding fine details and texturing at this stage would slow this process tremendously.

User 2: I also noticed the shrinkwrapping, even without skin details (moreso in terms general amounts of muscle and fat). I assume this is primarily for anatomical reference in the planning stages?

Creative Beast Studio: Exactly. It helps me know which figures can share parts if I can see where the muscles and anatomical landmarks are. These drawings are by no means meant to represent the final versions however.

AcroSauroTaurus

I would've prefered quills on at least the Gracili, Lepto, and Proto as well as the Psittaco. But overall the concepts are looking pretty good!
I am the Dinosaur King!

Flaffy

"Finally finished with the planning stage for the Beasts of the Mesozoic Ceratopsians! I've broken it down into three phases, here's a look at phase one. Looks like I'll be starting off with Xenoceratops! Might seem like a random choice, but it just worked out that way. None of these plans are set in stone and the looks for each have been simplified in the drawings for efficiency, but I do look forward to the 'evolving' of each step as I go. It's time to get sculpting!"

Halichoeres

I can already tell I'll be buying more ceratopsians from this line than I bought raptors. And I bought rather a lot of raptors.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

terrorchicken

looks so good!  what I get depends on what the first 3 pledge figures available will be. as well as the size. 1/18 mid sized ceratopsians, would they be about the size of the Resaurus Carnage ones? those are quite large(for me anyway, though I do have the trike.)

Jose S.M.

I know I'm not in the majority but I wish they were a smaller, I probably will get the smallest ones. By the way there's another image, of the phase two, on Facebook now, small to mid sized species.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Derek.McManus

I have to admit I think this is an impressive model! 😀

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: