You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Awesome!  Feet are looking much better now too!  ;D

tanystropheus

If these models were available when I was a kid, I would have been ridiculously spoiled  >:D

The Xenoceratops looks like it is worth every penny! Impressive proportions and musculature.

Dobber

Looking beautiful! Xenoceratops is very confusing to me though, I thought the defining feature of centrosaurinae was the lack of eye horns and large nasal horns. Xenoceratops seems to be opposite of that. It's frill still falls into the Centrosaurine category....so are there other defining features between Chasmosaurs and Centrosaurs?

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Halichoeres

Quote from: Dobber on April 04, 2017, 05:11:44 PM
Looking beautiful! Xenoceratops is very confusing to me though, I thought the defining feature of centrosaurinae was the lack of eye horns and large nasal horns. Xenoceratops seems to be opposite of that. It's frill still falls into the Centrosaurine category....so are there other defining features between Chasmosaurs and Centrosaurs?

Chris

I'm not sure what all of them are, but they seem to mostly be fairly technical and not necessarily externally obvious. For example "median bar [of the parietal bone] dorsally convex, forming a low, rounded median ridge." (From the Lund et al. description of Machairoceratops, PLoS ONE 11: e0154403 (10.1371/journal.pone.0154403) )
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ImADinosaurRARR

Sim

I'm looking forward to the BotM tyrannosaur series David has planned to do after the ceratopsians, as there's a few species I'd be interested in having from that group.  I really hope David will do a BotM series that includes the larger dromaeosaurids, like Deinonychus and Austroraptor.  I believe there's only six large dromaeosaurid genera, so I've been thinking it would be so good if David also did troodontids for that series.  I would really like nice figures of Saurornithoides and Zanabazar!  Also, in the first BotM series there's only a juvenile Troodon with no adult.  It would be nice to see it get a parent.

Dobber

Quote from: Sim on April 07, 2017, 02:25:45 PM
I'm looking forward to the BotM tyrannosaur series David has planned to do after the ceratopsians, as there's a few species I'd be interested in having from that group.  I really hope David will do a BotM series that includes the larger dromaeosaurids, like Deinonychus and Austroraptor.  I believe there's only six large dromaeosaurid genera, so I've been thinking it would be so good if David also did troodontids for that series.  I would really like nice figures of Saurornithoides and Zanabazar!  Also, in the first BotM series there's only a juvenile Troodon with no adult.  It would be nice to see it get a parent.

I'm with you Sim, the Tyrannosaur series will be very expensive for me! Alas, it is still some time away as the Ceratopsians are taking up the next 2 years.  I too would love to see a Large Dromaeosaur series. Especially after seeing Scott Hartman's new skeletal of Utahraptor....what brutes they looked like ;) then Dakotaraptor, Deinonychus, Austroraptor, ect. Even if he had to possibly use alternate paints schemes for the species to help fill the number of releases, I think it would be worth while.

Chris

terrorchicken

personally Id like the next theropods after the ceratopsians to be mid-sized theropods like dilophosaurus. I dont know if carnotaurus would fall into that size range since they can get pretty big. Maybe a smaller abelisaur.

I just really want to see how David tackles a dilophosaur and carnotaur. And then Id like to buy one.  ;D

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Dobber on April 07, 2017, 03:03:42 PM

I'm with you Sim, the Tyrannosaur series will be very expensive for me! Alas, it is still some time away as the Ceratopsians are taking up the next 2 years.  I too would love to see a Large Dromaeosaur series. Especially after seeing Scott Hartman's new skeletal of Utahraptor....what brutes they looked like ;) then Dakotaraptor, Deinonychus, Austroraptor, ect. Even if he had to possibly use alternate paints schemes for the species to help fill the number of releases, I think it would be worth while.

Chris

Same here.  I'm curious if it'll include larger and smaller taxa in different scales, just like the ceratopsian line.  If so, we could include some tyrannosauroids in the mix like Dilong and Guanlong in the smaller scale and Yutyrannus in the larger scale.

Oviraptorosaurs would also be good for their own line, there's certainly plenty of species to make at the same scale as the raptors.

Halichoeres

I hope this line lasts long enough for him to run out of dinosaurs and do a line of notosuchians. It'd be like the ceratopsian line in that he could get away with a relatively small number of bodies but would need new heads for each one.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

ImADinosaurRARR

QuoteI hope this line lasts long enough for him to run out of dinosaurs and do a line of notosuchians. It'd be like the ceratopsian line in that he could get away with a relatively small number of bodies but would need new heads for each one.

I personally would like him to go back and fix some of the problems with the raptor line. I in no way blame David for the mistakes. He was short on time with all the stretch goals and didn't look too deeply into some of the raptors he made. However, Zhenyuanlong just didn't get the figure it deserved :(.

One new thing that i'm interested in though is Pterosaurs. I mean, I know the wing membranes would probably be impossible to make articulated, but he said he's interested in dragon action figures and they have the same problem... perhaps interchangeable wings like with the toes for raptors? One for walking and one for flying?

(EDIT Just researched what Notosuchia were and I defiantly approve.)

Sim

Quote from: Dobber on April 07, 2017, 03:03:42 PM

Chris

Regarding the bolded part, yes, I agree.  And now that Scott Hartman has shared his new skeletal of Utahraptor, Utahraptor can finally be reconstructed properly!

Quote from: ImADinosaurRARR on April 07, 2017, 09:30:00 PM
I personally would like him to go back and fix some of the problems with the raptor line. I in no way blame David for the mistakes. He was short on time with all the stretch goals and didn't look too deeply into some of the raptors he made. However, Zhenyuanlong just didn't get the figure it deserved :(.

Regarding the bolded part, yes, I would like that too.  I personally would like to see him:

1. Give longer leg parts to the figures that need them.

2. Give longer secondaries to the figures that need them.

3. On the figures with scaly hands, connect the second and third fingers with skin up to the last joints.

If the figures don't receive the adjustments in a second production run of the first BotM series, maybe the figures with the adjustments could be available in a BotM series that also includes the large dromaeosaurids like Deinonychus?

Halichoeres

QuoteI hope this line lasts long enough for him to run out of dinosaurs and do a line of notosuchians. It'd be like the ceratopsian line in that he could get away with a relatively small number of bodies but would need new heads for each one.

One new thing that i'm interested in though is Pterosaurs. I mean, I know the wing membranes would probably be impossible to make articulated, but he said he's interested in dragon action figures and they have the same problem... perhaps interchangeable wings like with the toes for raptors? One for walking and one for flying?

Pterosaurs are also a good idea! I think interchangeable wings are probably the way to go.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 10, 2017, 07:35:09 PM

Pterosaurs are also a good idea! I think interchangeable wings are probably the way to go.

Pterosaurs would be a great choice. Lots of opportunity to basically just do head and tail swaps one two or three wing and body sculpts. I'd pay good money for a 1:1 Pterodactylus. Maybe even the inevitable kickstarter exclusive Aerodactylus repaint;)
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

spinosaurus1

Flaffy

Welp, looks like I'm only able to afford the small-medium offerings, can't imagine how big the triceratops will be since the xenoceratops is already the smallest of the large figure line.

Roselaar

Nanuqsaurus

Maybe this has already been answered somewhere, but when can we expect the raptor figures to be released/shipped? I vaguely remember reading that they start shipping in spring 2017, but is there a more exact date? I can't wait for my Balaur to arrive!  :)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on April 26, 2017, 05:02:41 PM
Maybe this has already been answered somewhere, but when can we expect the raptor figures to be released/shipped? I vaguely remember reading that they start shipping in spring 2017, but is there a more exact date? I can't wait for my Balaur to arrive!  :)

It was originally supposed to be May for Kickstarter backers, but I find it difficult to believe that he'll meet that, as only a couple of weeks ago we were seeing unpainted prototypes that still required minor adjustments to the molds. No painted prototypes have been produced as far as I know. I think the non-backers' items were supposed to ship in July, but if I had to guess I would think that's when backers' pieces will start to ship.

Dobber

IIRC, he stated in one of the updates that shipping won't be till July or August now.

Edit: just checked the latest update and this is what he said:

How can I possibly begin shipping product in May?

Well, unfortunately, the shipping dates will have to be delayed a few months, very sorry everyone. I sincerely apologize but I will not be able to hit my original estimated ship date of May 2017. I wanted to have more info before mentioning anything officially, but as the year continues to roll forward, I'm sure it's become obvious that this project is a bit behind. Between all the additional time I needed last year to sculpt the new pieces and now with all of parts and figures that the factory has to account for, it's no surprise that the production process is taking longer than expected.

On the plus side, the tooling factory is committed to doing the best job they can with these figures and I'd much prefer that they take the time they need to get everything right instead of trying to push everything through to meet a deadline. They've all been very communicative and helpful throughout and I have no doubt that these figures will turn out great- we'll just have to wait a little longer than expected. Once the production factory gets the tooling and finalizes the paint and packaging, I will be able to get an accurate timeline of what to expect. Shipping this Summer could still be a possibility however, but it's too early to know for sure. I will keep you all posted on the production schedule as more information becomes available."

Chris

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: