You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

That's beautiful, toygasm. But, shouldn't the hands be facing more to the sides than straight forward? Guess it wouldn't be too hard to just rotate them at the wrist.

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Loon on March 21, 2017, 05:35:09 AM
That's beautiful, toygasm. But, shouldn't the hands be facing more to the sides than straight forward? Guess it wouldn't be too hard to just rotate them at the wrist.

Yeah, they're probably just being sculpted that way, but since they look to be articulated at the wrist then how they're facing doesn't matter too much.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

terrorchicken

yep, looks about Carnage/Resaurus sized. Looking good.

Flaffy

David confirmed that the Xenoceratops will be slightly bigger than the Hasbro Pachyrhinosaurus.
Things are not looking bright for my wallet.

Halichoeres

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on March 21, 2017, 05:26:10 PM
David confirmed that the Xenoceratops will be slightly bigger than the Hasbro Pachyrhinosaurus.
Things are not looking bright for my wallet.

Yep, this is going to hurt. Maybe I'll try to go around mowing lawns this summer.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinoguy2

So... did David think the scale bar on Wikipedia said 1m instead of 0.5m or something? How on earth did Machairaceratops end up so gargantuan?

And yeah, the hands are all wrong. You could rotate them but they'd look awkward and not really able to bear the weight of the animal, due to where the main "bend" is sculpted.

Correct hands:
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Faelrin

Perhaps now would be the time to contact him in regards to that very thing, before things are finalized? I know very little about ceratopsian anatomy so someone else would be better off doing so.

Anyways, after looking at the new small/medium series images on the FB page, I think I can confirm that most of the figures I get will be of those. Styracosaurus, Regaliceratops, Einosaurus, Diabloceratops, and Chasmosaurus are some of those that I am interested in. For the large ones, the only species I'm currently interested in are Triceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus, and Pentaceratops. Depending on the color schemes, things could be changed around. I'll have to wait and see to know for sure, and the prices of these will also be a determining factor. Space is another factor I guess.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Faelrin on March 24, 2017, 09:22:58 PM
Perhaps now would be the time to contact him in regards to that very thing, before things are finalized? I know very little about ceratopsian anatomy so someone else would be better off doing so.

Anyways, after looking at the new small/medium series images on the FB page, I think I can confirm that most of the figures I get will be of those. Styracosaurus, Regaliceratops, Einosaurus, Diabloceratops, and Chasmosaurus are some of those that I am interested in. For the large ones, the only species I'm currently interested in are Triceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus, and Pentaceratops. Depending on the color schemes, things could be changed around. I'll have to wait and see to know for sure, and the prices of these will also be a determining factor. Space is another factor I guess.

David doesn't seem to be too keen on correcting things no matter how early in the process it is. I actually saw somebody else ask on a recent FB post if the Machairaceratops scale would be fixed and he said no. No reason why. I mean... Isn't it just a drawing at this point...?

Blade-of-the-Moon

I haven't looked at it myself but two reasons I can think of,  one is the current scale somehow works for what he has in mind, maybe based on parts fitting other figures.  The other reason is for his response, sometimes you just have a bad day , stress and all gets to the best of us. 

ItsTwentyBelow

Perhaps he is tired of folks constantly trying to critique and instruct him on what to do? He hasn't even finished one ceratopsian and he has people already nitpicking!

In the end it's his project, not yours. He's not making them custom for any single person. Like with the raptor series, there will be some limitations to the spot-on accuracy. That is a given, but I'm sure we will get some pleasing results.

I'm curious if the raptor series is still due to start shipping in May? Last May it seemed like a world (or at least an orbit) away! Now we are so close!  ^-^

Sim

What I saw regarding changing the Machairoceratops's size was in the comments on this image: https://www.facebook.com/BeastSculptKit/photos/a.125819777433236.23596.113487525333128/1692844430730755/?type=3&theater

stargatedalek

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on March 25, 2017, 03:35:17 PM
Perhaps he is tired of folks constantly trying to critique and instruct him on what to do? He hasn't even finished one ceratopsian and he has people already nitpicking!

In the end it's his project, not yours. He's not making them custom for any single person. Like with the raptor series, there will be some limitations to the spot-on accuracy. That is a given, but I'm sure we will get some pleasing results.
He has said he wants them to be accurate, so it's entirely fair to point out potential issues. And on that note pointing out potential issues in early design phases is exactly when to do it, before anything is finished.

Flaffy

With a line so focused and marketed for it's accuracy, I think they should at least get the sizes and recent knowledge of the creatures being made right.
And like stargatedalek said this is the perfect time to suggest, change and fix things, before anything gets finalised and when it's "too late".

Halichoeres

I think Blade's onto something. I think the whole concept of lots of shared parts will make it really difficult to actually make these all precisely to scale. Whereas all the dromaeosaurids he chose for the first series are similar in size, if not necessarily proportions, he decided to do basically the entire Ceratopsidae plus a few more distant relatives. That might be incompatible with the goal of making them all to scale if they're to share parts and also have accurate proportions.

On the other hand, I agree that making suggestions on things like wrist orientation isn't beyond the pale, but tone matters and it's hard to imagine that some of the more relentless criticism doesn't start to nettle after awhile. David has been nothing but gracious and cordial in my own interactions with him, and I don't think his response to that comment on facebook was as dismissive as initially painted.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 25, 2017, 08:08:41 PM
I think Blade's onto something. I think the whole concept of lots of shared parts will make it really difficult to actually make these all precisely to scale. Whereas all the dromaeosaurids he chose for the first series are similar in size, if not necessarily proportions, he decided to do basically the entire Ceratopsidae plus a few more distant relatives. That might be incompatible with the goal of making them all to scale if they're to share parts and also have accurate proportions.

On the other hand, I agree that making suggestions on things like wrist orientation isn't beyond the pale, but tone matters and it's hard to imagine that some of the more relentless criticism doesn't start to nettle after awhile. David has been nothing but gracious and cordial in my own interactions with him, and I don't think his response to that comment on facebook was as dismissive as initially painted.

If he doesn't want criticism (which I don't think is even the case, because he responded favorably to other critique comments), he shouldn't be marketing these as scientifically accurate. This is no different than the kind of criticism we regularly throw towards CollectA, Safari, etc.

I think the Machairasaurus size issue was just a goof. It's perfectly the right size if he thought the scale bar in the paper/Wikipedia was 1m instead of 50cm, because it's skull is about 2m long when it should be 1m. The hand issue is not common knowledge and almost all reconstructions get it wrong, so searching Google Images will create that mistake.

ImADinosaurRARR

David actually doesn't know if he'll have the Machairasaurus anymore. I asked him and this is what he said :3 :

QuoteSorry to bother but, why are you making Machairoceratops so big? Wouldn't it be easier to put the pachy head on the tric and make the Machairoceratops smaller? One less model to make, right?(Also, thank you for answering all our questions. It must be tough having such a picky fanbase :) )
QuoteI have looked into this further actually. I recently reached out to paleontologist Michael Ryan about it, and he says that these remains have now been classified to belong to Diabloceratops, so yes you are correct about it being smaller. I'd say there is a good chance that the Machairoceratops figure won't be offered.

I also asked about the splayed front legs. I'm pretty sure he's going to change it. It's that or both positions will be possible:

QuoteI absolutely love this :D ! Quick question though. Shouldn't the arms be more splayed out? They seem to be too far under the body :/
QuoteVery possible. But as an action figure, this is an easy adjustment to make. :)

Sim

Thanks for that, ImADinosaurRARR!  I saw new comments under that image I linked to earlier, and someone said David had said he was making the Machairoceratops that size because "there were size estimates for Machairoceratops putting it at 6-8 m, only it turned out that they were bogus."

tanystropheus

AcroSauroTaurus

I am the Dinosaur King!

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on March 26, 2017, 05:22:12 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on March 26, 2017, 05:17:46 PM
What is the largest ceratopsian? Triceratops?

I believe Eotriceratops is the largest.
Eotriceratops was 28 feet long, T. horridus was 25 feet long and T. porsus was also 25 feet long.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: