You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

I wasn't expecting the articulation to be quite so impressive, seems I may have to reconsider getting one of these.

CityRaptor

Wow, I at first thought the model was missing the head. That's some impressive articulation.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Roselaar

Wow, those levels of articulation are stunning! :)

ZoPteryx

*hype intensifies*  Can't wait for the next update!  :))

Tyto_Theropod

Really excited to see these. I ordered the Velociraptor and the desert base, and I kind of regret not getting the orange chicks so I could have a mum and her family. Anyway, I'm really excited for my order to arrive!
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Victoria's Cantina

I was thrilled to have David on the Cantina Chatter Podcast this week. We discussed his career and all the great toys he's made and focused particularly on Beasts of the Mesozoic. Here's a link to the YouTube video. It's also available for download on iTunes.

https://youtu.be/PAqGmW5re5I

Faelrin

Thanks for sharing that. Very interesting stuff you two talked about. Can't wait to see you review these after you get them as well.  ;)
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Minmiminime

That's an excellent interview, Victoria! ^-^ It's so interesting to know how he got into this, and he's all the more admirable for it! So much hard work, passion and dedication, and he's so humble about it, too. Great work all round!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Mauro "Raptor86"

Very interesting interview. I downloaded and listened while going to work.
So next year it is going to be Centrosaurinae, cool!  :))

ImADinosaurRARR

Awesome interview! Very cool how he wants to make the Dragon line like his animals. Looking back at his gallery he certainly knows what he's doing. The moth dragon utterly blew me away:

Blade-of-the-Moon

its a shame he couldn't do this years ago after mcfarlane stopped their dragon line , i had every one of them .  i've since parted with most and stopped collecting dragons. :/

ImADinosaurRARR

When I was younger, I was obsessed with both dinosaurs and dragons. The only reason I stopped with the latter was because there wasn't any material to stay interested in. But that's about to change... in a few years...

terrorchicken

I have 2 of his Mcfarlane Dragon figures, Id love to see some articulated dragons from him.

Victoria's Cantina

Thank you, everyone! It was great getting to hear his experiences and stories about his trade. I'm really looking forward to his Tyrannosaurs line!

ImADinosaurRARR

QuoteThank you, everyone! It was great getting to hear his experiences and stories about his trade. I'm really looking forward to his Tyrannosaurs line!

I know! Though I don't know how much I'll be able to buy from it. If the Triceratops is 17 inches (which i calculated here: http://sta.sh/01cq7fopyxqy), then the T-rex would probably be 22 inches if they're both to scale. Granted the Kenner Rexes were bigger, but I doubt CB will use rubber to cheapen them. I'm probably going to get a Jane to go with the juvenile Tric.

Faelrin

While the Tyrannosaur line might be a ways off yet, aside from T. rex, I really hope there will be a Gorgosaurus. Maybe even a Yutyrannus, even though it wasn't a tyrannosaurid.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on May 20, 2017, 08:07:54 PM
While the Tyrannosaur line might be a ways off yet, aside from T. rex, I really hope there will be a Gorgosaurus. Maybe even a Yutyrannus, even though it wasn't a tyrannosaurid.

He's doing Tyrannosaurs next? If he ever makes an Appalachiosaurus i'll buy a dozen.

ImADinosaurRARR

QuoteWhile the Tyrannosaur line might be a ways off yet, aside from T. rex, I really hope there will be a Gorgosaurus. Maybe even a Yutyrannus, even though it wasn't a tyrannosaurid.

I'm sure he can fit a Yutyrannus in there some where. The toy lines are basses on body plan more then anything, and there are several animals that it could switch bodies with such as Daspletosaurus, Gorgosaurus and Bistahieversor. In all honesty, the figure I'm most afraid of is Nanuqsaurus, being a small tyrannosaurid with a bulky frame. Though, looking into it, you could just swap out Teratophoneus's head and legs for a short but bulky animal...

(OMG the fact that these feathered Tyrannos could actually be actualised as action figures is super exciting!)

QuoteHe's doing Tyrannosaurs next? If he ever makes an Appalachiosaurus i'll buy a dozen.

No, not for a while. *sigh* It's after he's done with the two ceratopsian lines, which won't be for another few years :/ Y'know, I kinda wish that the split in the middle was filled with the tyrannosaurids. 2-3 years is a long time to wait for new carnivores.

Sim

Quote from: ImADinosaurRARR on May 20, 2017, 09:38:59 PM
In all honesty, the figure I'm most afraid of is Nanuqsaurus, being a small tyrannosaurid with a bulky frame. Though, looking into it, you could just swap out Teratophoneus's head and legs for a short but bulky animal...

Since Nanuqsaurus is only known from the white parts in A in the image below, I don't see the point of making a figure of it.  Basically all its appearance has to be invented.  However, I won't be surprised if David makes one since he made Pyroraptor and Acheroraptor even though these two, like Nanuqsaurus, don't have a known appearance.  And a number of the ceratopsians he's planning also need to have their appearance invented, including parts of the skulls that are variable among ceratopsians...  I would rather David wouldn't use up time on these species who's appearance is basically fantasy and instead focused on representing well the species known from good remains.  It seems that's not how things are to be though, which is why the BotM raptor series didn't have Tianyuraptor (which is known from an almost complete skeleton and has similar proportions to Zhenyuanlong as seen here: link) but had Pyroraptor and Acheroraptor.

(image source)

Quote from: ImADinosaurRARR on May 20, 2017, 09:38:59 PM
QuoteHe's doing Tyrannosaurs next? If he ever makes an Appalachiosaurus i'll buy a dozen.

No, not for a while. *sigh* It's after he's done with the two ceratopsian lines, which won't be for another few years :/ Y'know, I kinda wish that the split in the middle was filled with the tyrannosaurids. 2-3 years is a long time to wait for new carnivores.

I definitely wish he'd do another dinosaur series between the two ceratopsian lines.  Not only is it going to be two series/Kickstarters of ceratopsians, but the amount of ceratopsian species in his plans is exactly three times the number of species in the raptor series, and that's including the V. osmolskae and S. langstoni which are basically just repaints of previous figures and the Troodon which is just a juvenile.  Personally, I feel that's too much ceratopsians without any other kind of dinosaur in between.

I also hope now that he seems to want to include all the popular species regardless of their size class, he'll make the missing popular 'raptor' species and 'complete' their representation.  Particularly noticeable is that in the raptor series there is a juvenile Troodon but there is no adult, and Deinonychus is absent.  The absence of Deinonychus is quite frustrating to me as it's one of the most popular and scientifically important dinosaurs, but none of the available plastic figures of it come close to how it looked in life.  It's a reminder that most of the modern dromaeosaurid figure representations are coming from Beasts of the Mesozoic.  Outside of that, the only attempts that come close to looking like the living animals are the 2017 Wild Safari Velociraptor and a couple of Microraptor figures with varying accuracy.  It's interesting how CollectA has made a lot of ceratopsids, tyrannosauroids and allosauroids over the last few years, but they've never made a Mesozoic dinosaur with complete wings.  CollectA's two dromaeosaurids and oviraptorosaurs all have incomplete wings and other conspicuous anatomical inaccuracies.  And of course like most companies, they haven't made any troodontids.

ImADinosaurRARR

QuoteI definitely wish he'd do another dinosaur series between the two ceratopsian lines.  Not only is it going to be two series/Kickstarters of ceratopsians, but the amount of ceratopsian species in his plans is exactly three times the number of species in the raptor series, and that's including the V. osmolskae and S. langstoni which are basically just repaints of previous figures and the Troodon which is just a juvenile.  Personally, I feel that's too much ceratopsians without any other kind of dinosaur in between.

Yep, yep, yep. I'm honestly thinking about PMing him on this subject, but I feel that I've already over-stayed my welcome. Could someone else possibly PM him on Facebook and see his opinion on this? He's super friendly (I gave him a suggestion of giving frills the patterns of butterfly wings and he was super receptive) and I'm sure there's a strategy to this. He said in the interview that he wanted to "work up" to the tyrannosaurs. As nice as this is, I think were getting too impatient to wait ;P

QuoteI also hope now that he seems to want to include all the popular species regardless of their size class, he'll make the missing popular 'raptor' species and 'complete' their representation.  Particularly noticeable is that in the raptor series there is a juvenile Troodon but there is no adult, and Deinonychus is absent.  The absence of Deinonychus is quite frustrating to me as it's one of the most popular and scientifically important dinosaurs, but none of the available plastic figures of it come close to how it looked in life.  It's a reminder that most of the modern dromaeosaurid figure representations are coming from Beasts of the Mesozoic.  Outside of that, the only attempts that come close to looking like the living animals are the 2017 Wild Safari Velociraptor and a couple of Microraptor figures with varying accuracy.  It's interesting how CollectA has made a lot of ceratopsids, tyrannosauroids and allosauroids over the last few years, but they've never made a Mesozoic dinosaur with complete wings.  CollectA's two dromaeosaurids and oviraptorosaurs all have incomplete wings and other conspicuous anatomical inaccuracies.  And of course like most companies, they haven't made any troodontids.

I get what your feeling, but there's a lot of forgiveness and respect that I can give him. BOTM was his first wave of action figures that he's done on his own, and he's already applying what he's learned to his second, making sure that the different body types and sizes get represented while still saving on parts. With all the criticisms we can give the first line, he's still given us the most gorgeous Velociraptor on the market (in my opinion. I know people like Safari's but it's kind of a 'meh' to me).

Besides, there's no reason to update the line right now. By all intensive purposes, the raptors are 80%-90% accurate, and that's mostly because of bone length. There will be reasons to redo the line one day. Once upon a time, the JP raptors were accurate. Just 10 years ago, raptors would have only had a few feather tufts, and no-one would have ever thought that they had full wings. I would say wait until science gives Balaur a head, or we get the colours of new species. As much as we would like, these toys are not the real animals, and I feel that remaking the raptors now would give us less reason to update it in the future, if you get were I'm coming from.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: