You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silvas New Kickstarter: Articulated Dinosaur TOYS

Started by Takama, July 07, 2015, 11:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImADinosaurRARR

Progress on the Zuniceratops. I've been hearing that ceratopsian faces are covered in keratin, but I don't know where that idea comes from.

Patrx

The most recent writing I've seen on the matter is this piece by Mark Witton. Pretty compelling stuff, I think, there was a thread about it elsewhere on the forum a little while back. I've been thinking of customizing some ceratopsids to align with these ideas.

Unfortunately for BoM, a fully-keratinized skull would interfere with the idea of swappable brow horns.

paintingdinos

Shadowknight1

Anyone else having trouble with some raptors and the stand piece that's supposed to clip to the pelvis?  I can't make it work with my Zhenyuanlong and its ankles are loose so it's having trouble standing even with the rod... :-\
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

paintingdinos

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on March 23, 2018, 03:46:53 AM
Anyone else having trouble with some raptors and the stand piece that's supposed to clip to the pelvis?  I can't make it work with my Zhenyuanlong and its ankles are loose so it's having trouble standing even with the rod... :-\

My clips attach fine, but aren't very stable when on the rod. The toys are just too heavy. The raptor in the image I posted above was VERY precariously perched, and fell off probably a dozen times before I got that pic.

Looks like you're going to need two support rods to do anything really fun (at least if you want it to stay in position).

Reptilia

Quote from: Patrx on March 22, 2018, 08:59:47 PM
The most recent writing I've seen on the matter is this piece by Mark Witton. Pretty compelling stuff, I think, there was a thread about it elsewhere on the forum a little while back.

So basically ceratopsians in life would have looked even more imposing?

terrorchicken

^that and there might be no way to know what they really looked like, so many of our supposedly "accurate" figures of horned(and armored) dinosaur are probably still inaccurate... and we'll never know. :P

Faelrin

I managed to get the jumping rod clip on my Velociraptor's pelvis, but it was just too small/thin to fit either of my Dromaeosaurus pair's pelvis. It does take a bit of effort to get them to stand with the U shaped clip (and regular posing rod).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Patrx

Quote from: Reptilia on March 23, 2018, 02:40:27 PM
So basically ceratopsians in life would have looked even more imposing?

So it would seem! Witton's new Triceratops certainly could be an intimidating beast to meet.

Quote from: terrorchicken on March 23, 2018, 08:02:43 PM
^that and there might be no way to know what they really looked like, so many of our supposedly "accurate" figures of horned(and armored) dinosaur are probably still inaccurate... and we'll never know. :P

Also partly true, but with research like this, we can get closer and closer to the truth, and that's the exciting bit.

Closer to topic, my Atrociraptor arrived yesterday, and I quite like it! one of the wing joints is the tiniest bit looser than its counterpart on the other side, and I do wish I could get the mouth to close just that minuscule bit further, but overall it's really cool. And this from someone who generally dislikes articulation.

Reptilia

What's the Carnotaurus in the background?

Patrx

Quote from: Reptilia on March 23, 2018, 08:44:24 PM
What's the Carnotaurus in the background?

That's the Favorite Desktop Carnotaurus, a resin model! It's a little shrink-wrapped, but the proportions are really close to accurate:

Reptilia

Yeah, very thin legs more than anything, but a nice sculpt overall.

LeapingLaelaps

As soon as I got home from the movie theater yesterday (went and saw Pacific Rim Uprising, it was fun!) I saw that there was a big box waiting for me!

They're all amazing looking and so fun to play with and pose! My dad hasn't opened his velociraptor yet (I got one for me and one for him since he loves birds) but he loved it and had a big smile on his face! I might end up getting my mom a linheraptor, she really liked mine and tried to persuade me to gift it to her, haha!

Some of the leg joints were a little stiff but once I got them moving I had no problems posing them. One of the atrociraptors arms had the same problem but otherwise they're perfect! I really wish they had more motion to look up and down but other than that I love them so, so much! ;D

ceratopsian

Faelrin

Quite a flock you got there (and looks good). Did you order any of the Wave 2 raptors as well?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

LeapingLaelaps

Quote from: Faelrin on March 25, 2018, 06:52:32 PM
Quite a flock you got there (and looks good). Did you order any of the Wave 2 raptors as well?

Yep, I've got all coming except for the blue osmolskae

tanystropheus

Quote from: Rhamphorhynchus on March 25, 2018, 05:12:40 PM
As soon as I got home from the movie theater yesterday (went and saw Pacific Rim Uprising, it was fun!) I saw that there was a big box waiting for me!

They're all amazing looking and so fun to play with and pose! My dad hasn't opened his velociraptor yet (I got one for me and one for him since he loves birds) but he loved it and had a big smile on his face! I might end up getting my mom a linheraptor, she really liked mine and tried to persuade me to gift it to her, haha!

Some of the leg joints were a little stiff but once I got them moving I had no problems posing them. One of the atrociraptors arms had the same problem but otherwise they're perfect! I really wish they had more motion to look up and down but other than that I love them so, so much! ;D

Are the names printed on the toys or bases as I think I might eventually get confused?

Shadowknight1

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 26, 2018, 01:18:04 AM
Are the names printed on the toys or bases as I think I might eventually get confused?
I don't think so, that's why I don't feel too bad that I only bought 3.  Got my Zhen posed, had to use the smaller rod that came with my Microraptor.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Syndicate Bias

I have a question, irrelevant but are resin kits like heavier feeling or lighter? lets say one of shane's sculpts. how does it feel to the touch and how does it compare to plastic like rebor or papo heavy plastic. how breakable?

paintingdinos

Depends on the two models being compared and how they are cast.

A big solid soft plastic model sometimes feels a little heavier in-hand than a similarly sized resin model. Resin is more brittle than flexible plastic, and more fragile. I wouldn't think twice about dropping a Papo or a Safari toy on a hard surface. I would be terrified of a similar situation with a resin model.

A really large resin model can still be quite heavy. I don't have one of Shane's models yet, but I do have the Cooper Argentinosaurus which is pretty formidable (wouldn't want to get cracked over the head with it... might break your skull before the model itself broke  :o)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: